+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2009 Motorcycles
+ 2008 Motorcycles
+ 2007 Motorcycles
+ 2006 Motorcycles
+ 2005 Motorcycles
+ 2004 Motorcycles
+ 2003 Motorcycles
+ 2002 Motorcycles
+ 2001 Motorcycles
+ 2000 Motorcycles
+ 1970-1999 Models
+ 2009-2013 ATVs
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Bikers Dictionary
+ Buyers Guide
+ Concept Bike Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ Fuel Economy Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Motorcycle Cool Wall
+ Motorcycle Events
+ Motorcycle News
+ Motorcycle Reviews
+ Performance Guide
+ Product Reviews
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW Museum
+ TMW Interviews
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converter Guide
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Motorcycle Forums
+ Photo Gallery
+ Become a TMW fan!
+ On Facebook
+ On Google Plus
+ On Twitter
+ On YouTube
+ RSS News Feed
+ RSS Forum Feed
+ Old Photo Galleries
+ Contests & Prizes
+ TMW T-Shirts
+ Search This Site
+ Add us to your site
Advertising & Media
+ Advertise on TMW
+ Our Sponsors
+ Contact Us
+ TMW Recognition
+ TMW Staff
+ Our Motorcycles
+ Our Ride Photos
+ Site Map
Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
KAWASAKI VULCAN® 900 CLASSIC: MIDDLEWEIGHT KNOCKOUT
Big V-twin power and style with rider-friendly handling and economy
Graceful flowing lines, clean looks and robust engine combine to give the
Vulcan® 900 Classic an appeal that will charm a wide variety of riders,
from new students of the motorcycling life, to experienced veterans seeking
a practical and stylish cruiser. After all, whats not to love about
a motorcycle that offers the look and feel of a larger V-twin, minus the steep
price and extra bulk?
Its a win-win for 900 Classic owners; they get a fuel-injected 903cc engine which delivers exceptional roll-on acceleration and a nimble chassis with classic cruiser style. This Vulcans winning combo will please entry-level riders and anyone seeking class leading power and torque, but wanting more agility than a large-displacement machine.
Blessed with plenty of charisma and class-leading ergonomics, the Vulcan 900 matches its powerplant and chassis prowess with equally stunning bodywork. Graceful fenders and fuel tank accentuated by a polished chrome-accented air cleaner and chrome headlight give it the classic cruiser curves. A subtle matte black frame balances the stylish modern flair in its bodywork, low-slung seat, and stylish tail light.
Keeping with its cruiser roots, the visual treats continue with curved engine fins on the big, V-twin that features ride-enhancing, modern touches inside four valves per cylinder performance, liquid-cooling reliability, and a vibration-reducing engine counter-balancer.
A belt drive on the Vulcan 900 keeps the overall weight down, improves rear-end
styling and provides the rider with additional customizing opportunities.
A single-pin crankshaft, which helps produce that distinctive guttural, classic
V-twin sound, and the beefy rear tire, the largest in its class, contributes
to the Vulcan 900s big bike feel.
The Vulcan 900s low seat height and tapered seat doesnt exclude any rider. Comfortable enough for any distance, the front bucket seat flows nicely into the largest capacity fuel tank in its class, and lower chassis rails provide a narrowed shape for an effortless reach to the pavement ideal for shorter riders. The rear pillion pad makes it painless to share the two-wheeled experience. The wide handlebars, seat and floorboards combination offers an ideal ergonomic relationship, making for a relaxing mount.
Some of the other features that make the Vulcan 900 appealing to such a wide audience are a fork offset and rake designed for light, effortless maneuvering at low, in-town speeds. The 900 Classic is equipped with an auto-fast idle system that uses an rpm feedback relay to ensure a fixed engine speed in all starting conditions. Its easy-to-control fuel-injection makes ultra-low speed riding surprisingly easy, and the abundant low-rpm torque provides thrilling roll-on acceleration. At home, around town or on the open road, this motorcycle is built for hour upon hour of riding pleasure.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
903cc V-twin SOHC Engine
- Tuned to deliver healthy dose of torque at low rpm
- Smooth and reliable
- Gear-driven balancer allows use of single pin crankshaft without excessive vibration
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow more power and low-end torque
- Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
- Extremely efficient intake tracts feature ports that narrow near the combustion chamber to increase intake flow speed for more efficient filling and increased torque
- Long intake tracts for great low-end response
Liquid and Air Cooling
- Exceptional thermal control with finned cylinders and head and liquid cooling combination
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
- Includes temperature warning light
Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
- Maintains precise valve timing with maintenance
- Assures greater reliability
- Hidden from view to preserve the engines clean, basic look
Dual Slash-Cut Mufflers
- Big slash-cut mufflers look great and contain honeycomb catalyzers to reduce emissions
Positive Neutral Finder
- Just lift the shift pedal from first gear at a stop to find neutral easy, every time
Electronic Fuel Injection
- Dual throttle bodies with sub throttles provide optimum performance and rideability
- The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valve, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI system retains more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
- Fine-atomizing fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for better acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
- Lower unsprung weight than shaft drive to improve ride quality and suspension action
- More efficient so more power reaches the rear wheel
- Low maintenance and low noise
Double Cradle Frame
- Very rigid large-diameter box section backbone allows a larger fuel tank, and helps contribute to high stability and lightweight handling at low speeds
- Triangular swingarm looks like a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat
- Long and low for minimal seat height, maximum visual impact
- Fork offset and frame geometry combine for light, low-effort handling at ultra-low speeds
- Long wheelbase contributes to highway stability
Low Stepped Seat
- Ultra-low 26.8-inch seat height allows riders to easily plant both feet on the ground at stops
- Laid-back riding comfort for two
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
- Gives you the information you need at-a-glance
- Compact design complements the bikes clean look
- 5.3 gallon fuel tank is largest in its class
41mm Front Fork
- Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel the most in its class
- 32 degrees rake angle for excellent straight line ability
- Wide fork pitch for classic look
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- A 272mm front and 242mm rear disc have twin-piston calipers for some of the best stopping power in the class
Custom Spoke Wheels
- Chromed steel rims and spokes
- Spool-style polished aluminum front hub
Wide Rear Tire
- 180mm rear tire provides added stability while projecting a powerful image
- Wider tire than that found on most large-displacement cruisers
- Widest rear tire in its class
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic - USA Specifications
Engine: 4-Stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four-valve per cylinder, V-twin
Displacement: 903cc / 55.1 cu. in.
Bore x Stroke: 88.0 x 74.2mm
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Maximum Torque: 58.2 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm
Fuel Injection: EFI with dual 34mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
Final drive: Belt
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / Trail: 32 degrees / 6.3 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Track® swingarm / 4.1 in.
Front tire: 130/90x16
Rear tire: 180/70x15
Front brake / rear brake: 272mm hydraulic disc / 242mm hydraulic disc
Overall length: 97.0 in.
Overall width: 39.6 in.
Overall height: 41.9 in.
Seat height: 26.8 in.
Curb weight: 619.6 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
Wheelbase: 64.8 in.
Color choices: Metallic Diablo Black
Candy Plasma Blue
Candy Diamond Red
Warranty: 12 months
Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic - Canada Specifications
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic - UK Specifications
Engine type Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke V-Twin
Displacement 903 cm³
Bore x stroke 88.0 x 74.2 mm
Compression ratio 9.5:1
Valve/Induction system SOHC, 8 valves
Maximum power 37 kW (50 PS) / 5,700 rpm
Maximum torque 78 N·m (8.0 kgf·m) / 3,700 rpm
Fuel system Fuel injection: ø 34 mm x 2 with dual throttles
Transmission 5-speed, return
Frame type Double-cradle, steel
Rake/Trail 32° / 160 mm
Suspension, front 41 mm telescopic fork with 7-way preload
Suspension, rear Uni-Trak
Wheel travel, front 150 mm
Wheel travel, rear 100 mm
Tyre, front 130/90-16M/C 67H
Tyre, rear 180/70-15M/C 76H
Brakes, front Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston
Brakes, rear Single 270 mm disc, twin-piston
Steering angle, left / right 38° / 38°
Wheelbase 1,650 mm
Fuel capacity 20 litres
Curb Mass 282 kg
Automatic Headlights On (AHO) Yes
Complies to EU emission limit EURO 3
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.