+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2009 Motorcycles
+ 2008 Motorcycles
+ 2007 Motorcycles
+ 2006 Motorcycles
+ 2005 Motorcycles
+ 2004 Motorcycles
+ 2003 Motorcycles
+ 2002 Motorcycles
+ 2001 Motorcycles
+ 2000 Motorcycles
+ 1970-1999 Models
+ 2009-2013 ATVs
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Bikers Dictionary
+ Buyers Guide
+ Concept Bike Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ Fuel Economy Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Motorcycle Cool Wall
+ Motorcycle Events
+ Motorcycle News
+ Motorcycle Reviews
+ Performance Guide
+ Product Reviews
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW Museum
+ TMW Interviews
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converter Guide
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Motorcycle Forums
+ Photo Gallery
+ Become a TMW fan!
+ On Facebook
+ On Google Plus
+ On Twitter
+ On YouTube
+ RSS News Feed
+ RSS Forum Feed
+ Old Photo Galleries
+ Contests & Prizes
+ TMW T-Shirts
+ Search This Site
+ Add us to your site
Advertising & Media
+ Advertise on TMW
+ Our Sponsors
+ Contact Us
+ TMW Recognition
+ TMW Staff
+ Our Motorcycles
+ Our Ride Photos
+ Site Map
Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to 2011 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2011 Kawasaki KLR 650
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650
The Durable Machine to Take Around the World or Just Down the Block
For the adventurer whose sense of fun includes a jaunt into the dirt or an expedition deep into the woods, the KLR650 opens up a world of possibilities. Equally at home on Forest Service roads as it is on the interstate, the KLR650 is the motorcycle you want when your travel plans take you through all sorts of terrain, off-road or on. Its sturdy single-cylinder engine provides non-stop power and incredible fuel efficiency. Comfortable wind protection and a 5.8-gallon fuel tank ensure that riders can go a long way between stops. An aluminum rear cargo rack has plenty of space to accommodate saddlebags or a tail bag as well. Its a package that multitudes of riders have flocked to: the KLR650 has been the best-selling dual-sport six years in a row.
The single-cylinder, 651cc four-stroke engine provides the muscle for this world traveling powerhouse. This all-around performer provides quick throttle response and healthy low-end grunt ideal for trails or dealing with traffic snarls.
Matching the engines abilities every step of the way is the KLR650s suspension. A 41mm fork with 7.9-inches of suspension travel up front, and a Uni-Trak® linkage system providing 7.3-inches of wheel travel in the rear combine to make the KLR650 a fun, functional commuter during the week and an adept backroad blaster on weekends.
Braking duties are handled by a dual-piston caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style disc at the front, and a 240mm petal-style disc squeezed by a single-piston caliper at the rear. This suspension and brake package boosts the KLR650s on-road performance without diminishing its versatile off-road capabilities.
An expansive, saddlebag-friendly, rear luggage rack that can be fitted with a tail bag helps to make the KLR650 a worthy touring companion. A large, 5.8-gallon fuel tank and exemplary fuel economy mean the KLR650 can cover an amazing amount of ground between fill-ups.
That fuel range can translate into a long day in the saddle, so good wind protection is a must. This important job is handled by the frame-mounted bodywork, which includes a tall windscreen and large shrouds. Rider comfort is enhanced further by the seat design and plush urethane foam. A high-capacity 36-watt alternator pumps out enough juice for a high-output headlight and has the extra capacity to power the add-on electronic gadgets that no touring rider can live without.
The KLR650s competent on-road performance continues once the pavement stops. A tough engine guard keeps loose rocks and gravel at bay, while its U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor grants the KLR650 access to any terrain open to licensed vehicles. Add the optional Kawasaki tank, tail and saddlebags, and you have a recipe for long-distance exploration, beckoning KLR650 owners to enjoy on- and off-road adventures.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle model Features
- Ultimate on- and off-road motorcycle is best-selling dual-sport six years in a row
- Durable 651cc single-cylinder engine produces smooth, user-friendly power
- Comfortable wind protection and 5.8-gallon fuel tank allows for long-ranging adventure touring
- Aluminum rear cargo rack provides plenty of space for luggage
- 41mm telescopic fork supplies all-day rider comfort
- Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension offers a smooth, controlled ride
- Twin-piston front disc brake and single-piston rear disc brake furnish excellent stopping power
Long-distance-minded 651cc Four-stroke Single
- Cam timing and tuning combination aid in producing a broad, user-friendly powerband
- Smooth bends on the one-piece exhaust pipe permit exhaust efficiency at all rpm
- Light, silent cam chain contributes to a quieter engine
- Double engine balancer helps engine run smoothly from idle to redline for less fatigue on long rides
- Advanced piston ring design helps minimize oil consumption
- Oil-level window permits easy and accurate inspection
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation yet provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque with sufficient power at all rpm
- Secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions
- Thin and lightweight Denso radiator fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan for maximum cooling efficiency, even at low speeds
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Includes a temperature gauge
Fully Transistorized Ignition
- Fully transistorized ignition unit more precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
- Long, trouble-free lifespan
- Easy and convenient starting
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
- The engines broad torque curve means only five speeds are needed for off-road sprinting and relaxed highway cruising
- O-ring drive chain for reduced maintenance and long chain service life
- Beefy, 41mm front fork with 7.9-inches of travel is rigid and plush enough to tackle on- and off-road terrain and provide all-day comfort to the rider
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
- Rear Uni-Trak® suspension features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping and 7.3-inches of rear wheel travel
- Progressive rate provides a smooth, controlled ride
- D-section swingarm contributes to the bikes excellent traction
- 4mm spokes provide wheel stiffness, further enhancing handling performance and improving steering response
- Semi-double cradle frame made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
- Detachable rear subframe provides access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor for easy maintenance
- Large rear cargo rack included
- Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- Lightweight 280mm front and 240mm rear petal-style discs offer excellent braking
- Dual-bulb headlamp offers great night illumination
- Taillight, parking light and the high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650s visibility at night or in poor visibility conditions
Large 5.8-gallon Fuel Tank
- Generous capacity permits serious adventure touring
Additional Comfort and Touring Features
- Bodywork includes a large fairing for great wind protection
- Alternator output is 17 amps, with a total capacity of 36 watts to provide ample power for the headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
- Easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame and includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
- Urethane seat foam offers all-day comfort for long-distance riding
- Optional extended warranty
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle model Technology
Liquid-cooled, 651cc, DOHC, 4-valve, single cylinder engine features a super broad torque curve for the widely varied uses of a dual sport motorcycle.
Double engine balancers keep the engine running smoothly from idle to redline for best rider comfort and less fatigue on long rides.
Ratchet-type, automatic camchain tensioner keeps cam timing spot-on.
Free breathing, 4-valve cylinder head boosts low end torque and provides maximum valve area for optimum flow at highway speeds.
Revised cam timing contributes to improved high-rpm performance.
New intake porting offers greater low-end torque.
New piston rings are thinner and have more tension, resulting in a significant reduction in oil consumption.
New, fully transistorized CD Ignition unit replaces the earlier analogue CDI for better ignition performance.
New, higher output alternator (14.5 ? 17.0 Amps) meets the electrical accessory needs of touring riders.
New regulator offers improved performance.
New, one-piece exhaust pipe features smoother bends for improved exhaust efficiency at all rpm.
U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester helps prevent wildfires and allows access to designated public riding areas and.
40mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK Carburetor precisely meters fuel for good economy and quick throttle response.
The addition of a secondary air system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions.
New Denso radiator is thin and lightweight. Fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan, the new radiator has a greater cooling area and offers a 20% increase in cooling efficiency. (10% due to more densely packed cores; 10% due to the larger area.)
The more even running temperatures achieved with liquid cooling ensures long engine life and no power fade on hot days.
Smooth-shifting 5-speed transmission has a gear for every situation, from low-speed trails to highway touring use.
The transmission features Kawasakis exclusive positive neutral finder that makes selecting neutral at stoplights a breeze. At a stop, just lift up on the shifter from first gear and the transmission stops at neutral every time.
The KLR650 has been Canadas number one selling* dual-sport model for as long as anyone remembers. It outsells the next highest selling dual-sport model (our own KLX250) nearly two to one. The remaining dual-sport models just dont compete.
Look around during your next weekend ride the question isnt if youll see a KLR650 but how many? With something this good and this popular, you dont make changes without knowing what youre doing Kawasaki definitely knows.
Extensive rider research and Kawasaki technical know-how have been combined to produce a fully modernized version of this cultural icon yet it retains all of the exciting flavor and value of the original KLR650. Get your helmet, weve got a big country to explore.
* Sales data source: MMIC manufacturers wholesale reporting
All-new bodywork features a larger cowling, which contributes to increased wind protection.
New dual-bulb headlamp offers greater night visibility.
New larger shrouds and new hand guards provide additional wind protection.
New high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650s visibility at night or under poor visibility conditions.
Semi-double cradle frame made of hi-tech, round section, high tensile steel; the same strong yet light-weight material used in our world-class motocross bikes.
Engine guard helps protect the engine from rocks and other debris.
New, easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame, contributing to lighter steering. Features include largeface speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge. US model shown.
Firmer seat urethane offers greater comfort for long-distance riding.
Static seat height for the KL650E is lower, but with the reduced suspension sag, once seated on the bike, reach to the ground is about the same as the previous KL650A model.
New larger rear carry rack includes bungie hooks and passenger grab handles.
Narrow body and shorter stem signals makes mounting saddlebags easier.
Re-calibrated suspension settings sag less under 1G loads and now offers greater on-road riding performance.
Front suspension stroke was reduced from 230mm to 200mm to improve the KLRs highway manners. Rear suspension travel receives a matching travel reduction from 205mm to 185mm.
New, beefier 41 mm front fork offers increased rigidity for more precise handling. Previous unit was 38 mm.
Front and rear spoke diameter was increased from 3.5 mm to 4 mm. The increase in wheel stiffness enhances handling performance and improves steering response. High-speed stability is excellent and riding qualities on undulating road surfaces and over bumps are improved.
Universal tread tires provide good traction on and off the road.
Lightweight front and rear petal discs offer excellent braking. Front brake disc diameter increased from 260 mm to 280 mm.
New twin-piston front caliper also improves braking performance and feel.
New single-piston rear caliper complete the upgrades to the KLR650 brakes.
New D-section swingarm contributes to the bikes excellent traction, on road and off.
New forged rear axle holders are lightweight and very rigid.
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - USA Specifications
MSRP: $6,149 USD
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 100.0 x 83.0mm
Compression ratio: 9.8:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK40
Ignition: Electric CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 28 degrees / 4.4 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm telescopic fork / 7.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak® single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3 in.
Front tire: 90/90x21
Rear tire: 130/80x17
Front brake: Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper
Rear brake: Single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper
Overall length: 90.4 in.
Overall width: 37.8 in.
Overall height: 53.1 in.
Ground clearance: 8.3 in.
Seat height: 35.0 in.
Curb weight: 432 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
Color choices: Metallic Flat Raw Graystone / Ebony,
Candy Plasma Blue / Galaxy Silver,
Candy Burnt Orange / Galaxy Silver
Warranty: 12 months
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Canada Specifications
MSRP: $TBA CDN
Type 4-stroke, single
Displacement 651 cc
Bore and Stroke 100.0 x 83.0 mm
Compression Ratio 9.8:1
Valve System DOHC, 4 valves
Carburetion CVK 40 mm (Keihin)
Ignition Digital CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Transmission 5-speed, return
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.272 (75/33)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.266 (34/15)
2nd 1.444 (26/18)
3rd 1.138 (25/22)
4th 0.954 (21/22)
5th 0.791 (19/24)
Final Reduction Ratio 2.866 (43/15)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, cable operation
Type Tubular, semi-double cradle, high tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 200 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 185 mm
Tires: Front 90/90-21 (54S)
Tires: Rear 130/80-17 (65S)
Caster (Rake) 28.0°
Trail 112 mm
Front Type Single, drilled petal disc, 280mm
Rear Type Single drilled petal disc, 240mm
Overall Length 2295 mm
Overall Width 960 mm
Overall Height 1350 mm
Wheelbase 1480 mm
Seat Height 890 mm
Curb Mass 196 kg
Fuel Capacity 23 litres
Fuel Consumption 4.3 L/100 km (66 MPG)
Maximum Power 44PS @ 6,500 rpm
Maximum Torque 50N-m @ 5,500 rpm
Colours Metallic Flat Raw Graystone / Ebony, Candy Burnt Orange / Galaxy Silver
Warranty 12 months
ADDITIONAL COST OPTIONS
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
* The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.