Newbie from the SC

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#41 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

That's an idea, tchaftantouri, but I can't really afford to fix my bike AND rent one at the same time. The H-D dealer here rents for $125/day. A little steep for me and not my fave kind of bike.
I'd rent YOURS in a heartbeat, though! Is that a Hawk?
'85 Yamaha FJ600

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#42 Unread post by deedee1 »

Hopefully you will have your bike fixed soon. Just take a deep breath and know that in the end youll be safer than if ya tried to ride it that way to the shop. :D

Have a great one and ride safe
Deedee

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#43 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

We borrowed a trailer yesterday and took the bike to my mechanic. He's fixing the front brakes, putting on new tires and cleaning the carbs. He might adjust the valves, too, depending on what he sees when he gets in there. I'm hoping the bike will be ready today, but Friday is more realistic.
I have to ride the bike home from the shop because we only had use of the trailer for 1 day. I am a lot nervous about this. I've never had this bike out of my neighborhood and it's been 4 weeks since my rider course.
If he's not at work when the bike is ready, Sweetie will follow me home. If he is at work when I get the call from the mechanic I will have to go it alone. Yipes. :scared:
It's only a 3-mile drive, but my bum is already puckering in anticipation of 1 s-turn and 2 90-degree turns at intersections. Of course, rain is also in the forecast. Ha ha haaaa!
I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try my best to get photos of my first official ride. Wish me luck.
'85 Yamaha FJ600

KeithB
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#44 Unread post by KeithB »

welcome to TMW and enjoy :D
KeithB

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#45 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

Bike still not ready. :frusty:
When he got into the carbs, the mech found about 15 years of goopy buildup and crud. He also discovered that all 4 of the manifolds/carb holders were torn. Not completely through, but enough for him to be concerned.
He called Yamaha who told him that they no longer had those parts available. Then he called his usual aftermarket place. Their computer showed they had 1 set in stock, but they couldn't find them on the shelves. If they had, it would have cost $125. Ouch.
He did a repair job with RTV silicone and said they should not tear anymore and should last another riding season. He said I should look for new ones. So, when I got home Sweetie went on eBay and found a brand new set in Iowa for $58, SHIPPED. Sweet.
Soooo...the new parts should arrive today. When they do I will take them up to Frank. I hope he's been working on everything else (brakes, valve adjustment, new tires, cleaning carbs) in the meantime. I really hope she's back together by Wednesday.
Last edited by MonkeyMaw on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'85 Yamaha FJ600

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#46 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

The good news is that he was able to clean up the carbs nicely. He said it will run like new now and that I won't even recognize the sound. Maybe even get 5 more horsepower out of it.
He also said the fuel tank was in perfect shape. The PO must have always kept it full. He was impressed with the condition of my bike. When we brought it up there he said, "Wow. I wish they ALL came in here looking like that."
'85 Yamaha FJ600

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#47 Unread post by Koss »

Hey thats good news! Glad things are beginning to work out!
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#48 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

:rant: Parts did not come Monday. When they did not come Tuesday we called the company. Seems they had to be drop-shipped from another warehouse. They are supposed to arrive by UPS on the 3rd now.
My best friend says I should make a t-shirt or bumper sticker that says, "I SWEAR I have a bike; it's just someplace else right now."
My mechanic did the valve adjustment and said 2 or 3 of them needed adjusting. The brakes are fixed and the new tires are on. He has fixed everything on the list and now is just waiting on these 4 little rubber boots so he can put the carburetors back on and sync them.
'85 Yamaha FJ600

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#49 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

Okay, it's been a while. I haven't been very good at updating this thread, but I'm back now and I have great news.
I got my bike back 2 weeks ago and I finally was able to go on my first solo ride.
I went 18 miles, got up to 5th gear and 50 mph. :jump:
There was one point in the ride, a straight away, that felt so good it was all I could do to keep from crying. The wind was hitting me full force on my chest and shoulders, my helmet was buffetted by the wind. I could feel the cool air coming through the fingers of my gloves. I'd never felt that riding pilion, so you can imagine my glee. Thinking about it now I get misty.
I was pretty nervous being on the road by myself, still am. I know I am not ready for traffic yet. I need a lot more practice before I'm comfortable on "the big road". I sure do wish my sweetie would get a bike and come out with me. He's started looking for one and he's asked me to teach him how to "power walk" my bike, so that's a good development!
The weather has been super these past 2 days and it's supposed to get crummy soon. The riding season is coming to an end, I guess. Maybe some good stuff will come up for sale in the next few weeks.
Well, that's my update. I'll try to do better about keeping this up to date. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some riding to do!
'85 Yamaha FJ600