Cruisin' by from Vancouver

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Cruisin' by from Vancouver

#1 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I finally took the plunge in October 2004. I got my learner's permit, signed up for lessons, bought a motorcycle. :D ( 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic), and haven't stopped smiling since. I debated about buying a second hand bike, but decided since I waited my whole life to do this, I deserved new!

Being an absolute beginner, 53, and the only woman in a class full of young guys who were already riding their own bikes had it's challenges, but, I was not the worst student. :)
After the course was finished I then hired an instructor so I could learn to ride my new V-Star. And the rest, as they say, is history.
I rode and practiced all fall and winter ( except on the icy days), including the Sunshine Coast a few times. I passed my road test in February.

"How can you afford it?" my friends ask. I reply, " Given the new found joy and zest in my life, how can I afford not to?"

I'm looking forward to a summer full of rides with my friend with a Virago and maybe join in on some organized group rides as well.

Judging from the few posts I read before I registered, it appears you are a friendly bunch, and I hope it's ok for me to come and join you.

Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#2 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Blues, it's great to have you here at TMW. :welcome:

From what I've read posted by V-star owners, you have a very nice bike there. I'm also glad to hear you went through the proper training. There is a community full of great people here, so make yourself at home! We're all nuts about riding, same as you. :D
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

KingElvis
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by KingElvis »

You will absolutely love your bike! I owned one for 7 years before moving up to a Road Star. I didn't have any problems at all and it did everything i asked it too. They also look awesome imho.

Welcome to the forums btw :welcome:
Festina Lente

'04 Yamaha Road Star Midnight Star

blues2cruise

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, my bike is definitely an eye catcher. Although it's a stock paint job, it's not very common. I guess the 2-tone blue wasn't as popular as some of the more "masculine" shades.

I took the pillion seat off and put a rack on. That way people at work don't keep bugging me for a ride. :) I want to gain more experience before I start taking a passenger.

My next investment will be some saddlebags and supports. There's a lot of highways in BC that are perfect for road trips.

honda599
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by honda599 »

Welcome and now....that your hooked.... I'm sure every sunny day you dream about going for a ride. Just be careful and watch out for the other cagers. I'm from Vancouver too and if your looking for someone to ride with let me know.

Meanwhile check out some of my photos.

http://honda599.myphotoalbum.com

Cheers

blues2cruise

Wow! Lots of pics.

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks, honda599. Sorry I took so long to get back. I had a little surgery on my hand, so, no typing and :cry: no riding. I expect to be back in the saddle by June 1. :D

You have some very nice pics. I got to 40 so far. I've been going up to Pender Harbour to visit parents for the last ten years either by bus or car. I've gone up 3 times on my bike now....each time when it's been raining. I'm looking forward to going up when the weather is warm and dry.

The next ride I would like to do is to Whistler. I haven't been there on my own bike yet.
Although I would like to get out and ride with different people, I'm not so sure I could keep up with you. I'm not that great on twisty roads yet and I need to take them at a more sedate pace than the riders on sport bikes I usually see. I don't expect I'll be scraping the pegs any time soon. :wink:

I have a friend who sometimes rides with me, and, when we do, I set the pace. I can ride highway speed, but I try not to go much over the speed limit. I have a job that requires me to have a clean license. So, if riding at a newbie speed suits you once in a while, I'll pm you when I'm back riding....soon....very soon...

I'll go check out some more of your photos later.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#7 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Toyuzu wrote:Blues, it's great to have you here at TMW. :welcome:

From what I've read posted by V-star owners, you have a very nice bike there. I'm also glad to hear you went through the proper training. There is a community full of great people here, so make yourself at home! We're all nuts about riding, same as you. :D
Couldn't have said it better than Mr 'T' here!!
Welcome to our World. :)

blues2cruise

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks, CenralOzzy. I see you are in Alice Springs. I visited your country in 1982....before it became trendy to go there....
I was in Alice Springs for a couple of nights. We went out to Ayers Rock and The Olgas. I remember a lot of red, straight roads. And flies...lots of flies.....The Outback is fascinating. So was Heron Island.
Of course, now that I've spent my money on a motorcycle, the only travelling I'll be doing is by road to places like Whislter, the Duffy Lake Road, the Okanagan, the Cariboo, the Kootenays....all BC locales.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#9 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi Blues,

Welcome, welcome, welcome! :welcome:

We are always more than happy to welcome a new member. You should not be afraid of being "a part of the club" even though at times you must feel like an outsider. Being a female myself, I know what its like to get strange looks when you tell people you ride. 8)

You are so lucky to be riding in some of the most beautiful roads in the country. I myself am from Powell River and dream of being able to ride out there one day. We live in Calgary now so we don't ever get out there on the bikes.

Andrea :)

PS: We have taken the Sunshine Coast bus a good handful of times ourselves. Do you think we were ever on the same bus??? :wink:
Andrea :sun:

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#10 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

blues2cruise wrote:Thanks, CenralOzzy. I see you are in Alice Springs. I visited your country in 1982....before it became trendy to go there....
I was in Alice Springs for a couple of nights. We went out to Ayers Rock and The Olgas.
Very Good, but did you see the Mighty McDonnell Ranges while you were in town?

To learn a little bit more on the Ranges look here.... www.centraloz.biz