Howdy from Kuwait

motomac
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Howdy from Kuwait

#1 Unread post by motomac »

Howdy from a newby, checking in from the land of high temperatures and low gas prices -- Kuwait.

I'm an American diplomat, currently assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait. I've been here one year and have one more to go before heading off to another embassy somewhere else. Tough life, but somebody has to do it!!

I'm also a long-time motorcycle rider.....a very long time. I bought my first bike in 1959; a 1949 500cc Triumph Speed Twin that cost me a whopping $75.00, and have been riding motorcycles ever since. Those of you who are quick with math will say "Holy-moly....he's OLD!" and you would be correct. Still, I am as enthusiastic about bikes as I have always been and hope to keep riding as long as possible.

My biking years have been spent about half-and-half between street and dirt, and I have to honestly say that I enjoy off-roading more than street riding these days. My current bikes are a 1991 Honda VFR and a 2005 honda CRF230F. Unfortunately they are both in storage in Europe because I was not allowed to bring either to Kuwait. Street riding is ultra-dangerous here due to high speeds and exceptionally bad drivers --- and while I've heard that statement many times in the past, this is the first time I have agreed with it. Off-roading is not permitted due to all the land mines laid by Iraq during the first Gulf War. So, I will be doing without my bikes for 2 years....the longest I've ever been without at least one bike in the garage. :(

I saw the request on this forum to list all previous bikes, but it will take a while to build that list....there are probably over 40 bikes on it, not to mention that my memory isn't what it once was. :D

So, I'll be visiting this forum periodically, reading all the posts, and probably posting a few of my own. Hopefully I can avoid making "Back in the old days...." posts!

So, again, howdy from Kuwait. It is currently Friday afternoon, 4:45pm, 119 degrees Fahrenheit with 21% humidity, and fairly clear.

Cheers,

Mac

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

:welcome2: to TMW from :canada:

There are a few of us here who can say things like the good old days..... :) Then of course there are the good older days.... :laughing:

Do you have any pics of any of yuor bikes with you? If so how about posting one or two. :)

Or just post a picture of Kuwait.....

Enjoy the forums. :)

motomac
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by motomac »

blues2cruise wrote::welcome2: to TMW from :canada:

There are a few of us here who can say things like the good old days..... :) Then of course there are the good older days.... :laughing:

Do you have any pics of any of yuor bikes with you? If so how about posting one or two. :)

Or just post a picture of Kuwait.....

Enjoy the forums. :)
My bikes are in storage, but I do have photos of them. I can't find where there is a limit on the number or size of photos, so I'll put something together this afternoon and post up.

Cheers,

Mac

motomac
Regular
Regular

Photo Post

#4 Unread post by motomac »

Blues2Cruise...

I decided to make a separate post with the photos. It took me longer than I though -- mainly because I get too verbose -- but I figured if I was going to put that much time into it, at least someone should look at it! :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers,

Mac

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

1024 x 768 is a good size.