Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: what!? A liter bike? nah..not yet.*grin*

Another newbie :)

#1 Unread post by HotMess »

Hi,

I am new to the forum and to the motorcycling. I have zero riding experience and just decided one day (a month and a half ago - to be precise) that I want to ride a sport bike to work this summer. I will be commuting 90% over the freeway about 40 miles round trip. But first, I need to learn how to ride. I am here to bother y'all with my dumb noob questions, lol! 8)
My way or nothing at all.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Another newbie :)

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome2: HotMess to the Total Motorcycle riding community and to motorcycling as well! You are in for a real fun time and freedom like you have never known. :D

As many will advise, sign up for your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course and start off on the right foot, it will give you a boost in your riding skills and confidence too.

Many of us have commuted on a motorcycle and it's a heck of a lot more fun than in a car. :D Depending on where you live, you can also lane split (when you are skilled enough) and save even more time.

For a sport bike, there are a lot of good first bikes out there depending on your height, everything from the really nice Honda 125 and Honda 250 up to a Ninja 650R.

Thanks for joining and please, ask all the noob questions you want, we are all here to learn and to help.

Don't forget to post in the New Bikers Forum and in the Ladies Forum as well (I see that you put you are female).

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HotMess
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by HotMess »

Hey, Mike, thanks!

Yep, I am she. :blushing:

I will take riding courses in two local schools this spring - classes and 101 lessons - and will try to pass my road test after that.

My protective gear collection is coming together rather nicely. I lucked out yesterday with the helmet. Still have this idiot smile on my face - cannot believe the price I paid considering this is an Arai helmet.

I have my 2011 kawi ninja 250r on order and cannot wait to meet her in person. She will be sleeping in her cage at my dealer's warehouse until I am ready to pick her up for her first ride home. Depends, how confident I will be by then, may be will get her delivered after all. Will see.

As for line split, as you must know, here, in Alberta, the "law does not allow you to ride between lanes (splitting a lane) or share a lane with other drivers". So, if we do we don't tell, right? :wink:

I would like to use this opportunity and thank you all for sharing helpful information and advice on this site. It's a must read for the new riders as well as the seasoned riders. I admit - I am one of those new riders who considered to buy a liter bike for my first bike. I fell in love with RSV4R (aprilia) at the local show and went ballistic, ready to put money down on her. But it's interesting that it was a salesperson who stopped me and told me to do some research first. My research included discovering your forum existence and reading all those articles about why new rider shouldn't get a liter bike as a first ride. Well, now you know how I ended up with 250cc bike, lol! And for that - HUGE THANK YOU again. :)

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#4 Unread post by ZRex »

Welcome, it looks like you are off to a good start.

The RSV4R is an awesome bike and gives you something to look forward to later, besides getting hurt (or worse), a lot of people that start out on something too powerful end up scaring them selfs so bad they don't want to ride anymore, the salesperson was right and you were smart enough to listen.

I hope you have fun on you're new ninja (most people do) and be safe.

HotMess
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by HotMess »

ZRex wrote:Welcome, it looks like you are off to a good start.

The RSV4R is an awesome bike and gives you something to look forward to later, besides getting hurt (or worse), a lot of people that start out on something too powerful end up scaring them selfs so bad they don't want to ride anymore, the salesperson was right and you were smart enough to listen.

I hope you have fun on you're new ninja (most people do) and be safe.

So true! It's easy to stay motivated when you have RSV4R as a reward in the future! I will take it baby steps to make sure that I learn all the riding techniques and tricks possible and suck my ninja250 dry before I move on. :shooting:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#6 Unread post by dr_bar »

I guess Calgary has the perfect weather for riding right now.... Sorry, I meant Vancouver... :o)

Although, if it wasn't for the condition of the roads in Calgary, it was perfect for a nice winter ride at +12* last week...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HotMess wrote:Hey, Mike, thanks!

Yep, I am she. :blushing:

I will take riding courses in two local schools this spring - classes and 101 lessons - and will try to pass my road test after that.

My protective gear collection is coming together rather nicely. I lucked out yesterday with the helmet. Still have this idiot smile on my face - cannot believe the price I paid considering this is an Arai helmet.

I have my 2011 kawi ninja 250r on order and cannot wait to meet her in person. She will be sleeping in her cage at my dealer's warehouse until I am ready to pick her up for her first ride home. Depends, how confident I will be by then, may be will get her delivered after all. Will see.

As for line split, as you must know, here, in Alberta, the "law does not allow you to ride between lanes (splitting a lane) or share a lane with other drivers". So, if we do we don't tell, right? :wink:

I would like to use this opportunity and thank you all for sharing helpful information and advice on this site. It's a must read for the new riders as well as the seasoned riders. I admit - I am one of those new riders who considered to buy a liter bike for my first bike. I fell in love with RSV4R (aprilia) at the local show and went ballistic, ready to put money down on her. But it's interesting that it was a salesperson who stopped me and told me to do some research first. My research included discovering your forum existence and reading all those articles about why new rider shouldn't get a liter bike as a first ride. Well, now you know how I ended up with 250cc bike, lol! And for that - HUGE THANK YOU again. :)
I'm really glad that the Total Motorcycle Forum community has really helped you out already, that is awesome! :D

Ah, my home town of Calgary! I will be riding the roads again in Calgary come October, if I pass you on my bike you'll get anenthusiastic wave back at ya.

Did you sign up with Too Cool Motorcycle School or??

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R is a great bike, you will love it and can easily ride it for years without moving up. It will do 145km+ on the highway, give you cheap, cheap insurance and cheap gas. (not the Taco Bell gas)

For helmets, I always go to GW Cycle, I picked up a Fuller brand helmet there for $119 in the summer when I was back and since learned it's an ARAI...although I think it's padding is cheaper than in an actual ARAI.

I am glad to hear you are doing it all right, you go girl! The RSV4R is a beautiful bike, infact I put up the 2011 Aprilia's just today. Definately a bike to learn towards. I would think around 6+ years of riding to ride it well. But my advice is don't rush it, the small bikes are an absolute blast to ride and many think big cc's = bigger fun, when that isn't always the case.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

:welcome: from an ex-Calgarian!

You'll really enjoy commuting in the summer, I used to do it when there was free m/c parking downtown... it's a shame they took that away...
Andrea :sun: