Anything worth doing...

Gamemako
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2002 Suzuki GSX750F Katana

Anything worth doing...

#1 Unread post by Gamemako »

...is worth doing badly, provided you don't kill yourself in the process. Not a total green, but still a relative novice. Mainly registering here because I'm going to ask a question in another section, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to dump a hi-how-are-you in this section.

Bought a 2002 GSX750F less than two months ago; it's my first bike. No need for dire warnings about not killing myself with 92.5HP; I tend to ride a tad on the slow side. So much so, in fact, that I average 48MPG with the thing. I use it to commute a 70mi round-trip, so I figured a 750cc bike would be smoother than a 250cc. The last thing I need is a twice-daily ride up the freeway at 9000RPM. After taking the MSF beginner course and getting my license, I hunted down the best deal I could find. It's not in great shape (or even in good shape), but it runs, gets good fuel mileage, and hasn't exploded yet.

To generate a sense of commiseration, I'll share the two times I nearly dropped my bike. Incidentally, both were turning onto the street I live on and both at 20MPH, tops. First time, I failed to pay attention to what I was doing and pressed my foot on the rear brake while cornering. It was kinda neat, in retrospect, sliding sideways and stopping on my left foot, but probably something to avoid. Second time, I grossly under-cornered (yes, at that slow speed I could probably have turned donuts in a 10-ft diameter, but hey, what's a noob to do?). I came SO wide that I just straightened up and came to a stop in about 7ft, just a foot or so from the curb. I'd say I learned some kind of lesson there, but I still can't figure out how I screwed that up so badly. :laughing:

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Anything worth doing...

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Gamemako wrote:
, I grossly under-cornered (yes, at that slow speed I could probably have turned donuts in a 10-ft diameter, but hey, what's a noob to do?). I came SO wide that I just straightened up and came to a stop in about 7ft, just a foot or so from the curb. I'd say I learned some kind of lesson there, but I still can't figure out how I screwed that up so badly. :laughing:
I'd hazard a guess that you were looking at the curb instead of looking where you want to go. Next time, don't look at the curb. :wink:

:welcome:

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi and :welcome:

:wave:

Thanks for saying Hi en route to posting your other question! ;)
Andrea :sun:

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#4 Unread post by Kingshead »

Welcome from another new member here. I'm on a few other sites but this seems far superior, I think you'll like it. :pbjt:

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.