GA Rider
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: Looking

Old Rider seeking to get back into riding

#1 Unread post by GA Rider »

Hi, and THX for having me at this forum!

I have had more significant B-days than I want to remember, and decided after the most recent 'round' one, I wanted to get a bike and ride again.

I have found one, and though I would register at a forum and ask some questions about that specific bike; specifically issues I should look for and whether it would be a good deal for me.

The bike is a Honda GoldWing 1200, 1987, with electronic dash. The bike is in mint condition, and the price seems right.
Here are a couple of questions I have:
Are there any service issues or recurring issues I need to know about this model?
Are there any factory recall issues I need to know about this model?
And the one that worries me the most: I understand teh electronic dash went away after this model year. What would I have to go through if it were to fail? Are parts available? Can I convert it to analogue looking gauges? Or would I be kinda SOL so to say.
If anyone has a thread I can read concerning this bike, I would truly appreciate it if they would take the time to post, THX much!

I am looking forward to riding again... mainly as a weekend hobby and out/town. I live in the suburbs of the Atlanta area, we have some really beautiful mountains just an hour north of me... really would enjoy riding up there. And then there is the Devil's backbone... :D However not on a touring bike... :roll:

THX again for having me on this forum, looking forward to carefully choosing a bike and riding again.

John/GA

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Old Rider seeking to get back into riding

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I can't help you with your questions....

I can however say WELCOME to TMW.

:D

rcno33
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 33
My Motorcycle: 2014 Honda CTX-700D

#3 Unread post by rcno33 »

I can tell you that I owned a 1984 GoldWing Aspencade, also with the electronic display. It was an excellent bike, but despite the TLC I tried to administer in its later years, it eventually died.

Your 1987 is the same "model group" as mine was; the final year in that production style. I'd look at the timing system, make sure the chain and the tires are up to snuff, and give the carburetors a good once-over (unless you're sure that the previous owners were on top of the maintenance).

In general, I loved that style of GoldWing. It was highly maneuverable for its size/weight, and you could carry a week's worth of groceries in its side cases and trunk. If you choose to get back into biking, that's a great old bike to do it with--if its maintenance history pans out. GOOD LUCK!

harleyporsche
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 02 Vrod

#4 Unread post by harleyporsche »

I hear ya buddy ,just turned 50 and getting back in the saddle again after 20 years. Damn I'm looking forward to it! gonna be a looong witer,lol.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello John and welcome to the forum. I suggest you start out relearning how to ride with a smaller bike, something around 50hp/500lb. Just to get your 'sea legs' back. Remember this won't be your last bike (I hope). The Goldwing is a great bike but the electronic dash is a nightmare when it breaks. They have weak alternators and the rear wheel's bearings were not machined correctly. All problems that can be fixed. Good luck.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I gotta go with Johns suggestion the Gold Wing while a very good machine is very big very heavy and 27 years old. I wouldn't want to recut my teeth on that if I didn't have to.
there aint nothin like it

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#7 Unread post by dirt dobber »

I went to Google this is what I come with click NGW Club then click Forum it's for GW. if this don't highlight go to Google put this in,Honda Gold Wing 1200. at the bottom you will find NGW Club.

Ossagp
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 50
My Motorcycle: 1987 Honda cr500

Re: Old Rider seeking to get back in fto riding

#8 Unread post by Ossagp »

Hi. I am new here as well. Last summer I bought a slightly older gold wing. Even though there is a pretty good supply of used parts I was not so willing to buy the 1200. So I have an 82 aspencade. It is in calif, and I live in Alaska. It has sat for many years, inside a garage in a dry area. Less than 6600 miles on it, and zero modifications. Hopefully I will get to go meet it and get it on the road in late March.

Ossagp
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 50
My Motorcycle: 1987 Honda cr500

#9 Unread post by Ossagp »

Hi,
I am new here. Andy is my name and I live near Anchorage Alaska.

I went slightly older for a Goldwing, partially because of the electronic dash on the 1200's. There are ways around it (the electronic dash of the orginal poster's) I am sure, and that Goldwing site has some knowledgeable people on it. Anyway the rig I ended up with is in calif, and I havent touched it yet. Hopefully by the end of March I will be down to Taft Ca where it is and get it on the road. It is an '82 Aspencade, original tires (worn and not holding air) under 6500 miles on it. It has sat inside for a pretty long time. Last licensed in 96. I think I will know a lot more about 1100 Goldwings in about eight weeks.

FYI it will end up just east of Atlanta at another friend's house. He has a '76. Some weekend rides and some Daytona Speedweek type trips are what I have in mind for it right now.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#10 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I hear tell it's warmer in the big A than NJ this year and I believe it!!. Best of luck guys
there aint nothin like it