MarkF55
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Older fellow back into biking with Vulcan 1600

#1 Unread post by MarkF55 »

My name is Mark, been riding off and on for about 45 years. Just back into it last year. Always rode standards, mostly four cylinder Japanese bikes. Last machine was an 82 Susuki GS1100E, almost an early sports bike. Had a bad crush on V-twin cruisers and swore when I got back into it I'd get one, a large bike (wheelbase-wise) that fit my 6'1" 280# size and would be ideal for around town cruising and short rides out in the country. Didn't have a lot of money to spend (retired), but found a well-maintained 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad with 25k that I could afford, and fell in love with it. I like how far bikes have come--I never had anything liquid cooled, shaft-driven, or fuel-injected before. My bike is stock except for a Cobra exhaust, which sounds very nice indeed. The original owner removed the windshield and passenger back and handrests. I also removed the rear seat as I never have a passenger. I think I'd like the windshield back again, and will be asking for advice about that. Looks like this forum is full of solid advice and comments. :)

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Older fellow back into biking with Vulcan 1600

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Mark, welcome to TMW! You've come to the right place, our members are responsive and helpful and this is one of the most active motorcycle-centric forums you'll find anywhere on the web.

I'm a fan of Kawasaki, having owned three of them myself including my current ride, and I'm sure that Nomad will take good care of you. Congratulations on getting back into riding, and please post some pictures of your Vulcan so we can all oooo and ahhhhh at it. :)

As for a windshield, we installed a Memphis Shades screen on my wife's '03 Honda Shadow 750 and it's been great. Their quick-release system makes it easy (ish) to remove the windshield for winter storage or for a more involved cleaning, and the windshield itself offers exceptional coverage for highway cruising. You may need one of the larger ones they sell at 6'1" though. It's an attractive accessory, and if you look through my blog you'll see pictures of her Shadow with the MS screen.

All that said, we're glad to have you and again, welcome to TMW! See you in the threads brother, until then keep it shiny side up.

MarkF55
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

#3 Unread post by MarkF55 »

Jack, thanks, and I gotta chuckle, because for years my license plate frame read "keep the rubber side down." They say every rider has either crashed or will crash some day. Mine was in Ventura County CA in 1989. Fixed the bike, sold it, bought another with nearly twice the engine, mounted that license plate frame as a reminder, and the rest is history. :D

Where should I post photos, here or elsewhere?

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Always a good reminder for sure. :) I haven't gone down yet, unless you count releasing my KDX to the skies on my first hill climb, but I respect I likely will someday.
TheRegister Your Rides thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153 is always a good place to start with pics, I believe there's an "Obligatory Pic Thread" somewhere too but it may take a little black magic to resurrect.
And, of course, The Riding Game: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37027 is great for pictures if you're up for the scavenger hunt. :)