jmeg8237
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2013 Honda Shadow

New Member, Soon To Be New Rider

#1 Unread post by jmeg8237 »

I'm an older new rider (61), just got my license a few weeks ago after taking the MSF BRC. Currently shopping, suspect I'll probably wind up with a Honda Shadow, but haven't bought anything yet. I live in SW Florida (Naples) where the weather is great for year-round riding. My real goal is when I retire in a few years, I hope to get set up to travel around the country with either an RV or a trailer, and I'd love to be able to take a bike with us and do some sightseeing off the bike.

John Meggers
Naples, FL

joesphx
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Honda Spirit 750

Re: New Member, Soon To Be New Rider

#2 Unread post by joesphx »

John
I rode about 30 years starting with the moped my father bought when I was ten. Then he bought us kids a Honda 50. Later in my early 20s I went through a couple of bikes ending with a Yamaha 650. When the my kids came along first to go was the convertible, then the bike. Well at 65 I got back in the saddle with a Honda 750 Spirit. What a great bike but it's almost like starting over for me. The Shadow is one of the best bikes around but you need to be sure it isn't too much bike. Rent one if you can, if you can't, go for a test ride. I went for my first ride in over ten years today. And yeah, it was more than a bit shaky. I wish you good luck.
Randy from NW Fl

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#3 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

John, I'm super excited for you! Florida sounds like a wonderful place to ride, I hope to get down there someday myself. Good on you for taking the BRC, as a RiderCoach myself I can't stress how important that first step is.

You can't go wrong with a Shadow! They're great bikes and Honda builds 'em bulletproof.

Your plan for retirement is literally mine as well, my wife and I have plans to sell everything and tour the country in an RV pulling a trailer full of bikes. We've got a lot longer before we get there then you do though, maybe you can pave the way for us! :)

Have you picked up a bike yet?

AntonioMartha
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 Yamaha FZ6 S2

#4 Unread post by AntonioMartha »

Hi John,

Good for you! I just started riding 3 years ago when I was 52 years old. It's great that you joined a group before you actually start riding. You can learn a lot of things just by reading the threads. I know that you posted this about 2 months ago but I hope you enjoy riding your Honda Shadow now.

Ride safe!