Vinman
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: 1996 Suzuki VS800

New to this forum: 1996 VS800

#1 Unread post by Vinman »

Hello all. Been around cycles for 43 years. Been a mechanic for closer to 50. I know my way around a tool box and usually cycle trouble shooting. Just not today.
I picked up a non running 1996 Suzuki VS800. It had been sitting in storage for the better part of 15 years. I performed the usual return to service stuff: drained and flushed fuel tank, changed oil/filter, removed and rebuilt carbs ( they were both coked up with varnish,), replaced the plugs, replaced battery. Replaced fuel pump.
Bike will not run. Have good compression. Have good spark. Bike will fire up if i use starting spray. ( I generally hate using this stuff.) Also replaced fuel lines.
Am I missing something?

Vinman
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: 1996 Suzuki VS800

Re: New to this forum: 1996 VS800

#2 Unread post by Vinman »

Pulled aft #1 carb. Float was hanging up. Rerouted and primed fuel lines and pump. Fired up. Runs but not great. Have to recheck spark plug gaps.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: New to this forum: 1996 VS800

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

A lot has changed since 1996. With the addition of ethanol to the fuel, the specified jets are too small. Whenever bringing a bike like yours back from the dead, I always replace the pilots with at least one size larger, then maybe shim the needle with one additional washer. The carbs on the VS700/750/800/1400 are difficult to sync, you have one downdraft and one side draft, two completely different carb models connected by a dizzying array of cables. Be sure the idle cable is set correctly so that both carbs open at exactly the same time, no delay one versus the other. Also be sure the fuel pump is working, if it's aftermarket (Caltric) I've seen duds right outta the box.