1sttimebiker
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda vt750

Beginner

#1 Unread post by 1sttimebiker »

Hey guy an gals, my name is Kyle and I'm from the UK. I passed my bike licence over a year ago an today finally bought a bike. I bought a Honda shadow vt750. This bike is very different to what I learnt on but I love the cruiser type of bike. So today took the bike up my street an went to do a u-turn at the bottom.... I dropped the bike only putting a scratch on the clutch as my leg stopped it from making contact with the ground. My leg is absolutely fine an the bike is too, however it's really hit my confidence HARD! Anyone ever experience this little mental battle as a first time rider. I do want to get back on it when I can just feel nervous about it. Wouldn't want to put anyone else in danger more to the point. Kind regards, Kyle.

jomaraki
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow 750

Re: Beginner

#2 Unread post by jomaraki »

Hey Kyle, I hadn’t ridden a motorcycle since 1996, It was a 1884 Honda Shadow. Had so many problems and we traveling for work all the time, town employee saw the bike and asked about it. I. Sold it. Now I have had back surgery in 2018. And bought a bike in May 2021 an 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1800. Early in July She took me for a ride into a ditch on a turn. I got bruised up pretty bad. so family and Motorcycle Ministry talked me selling Dragon Lady for a 1999 Honda Shadow Ace. I even took a Basic Motorcycle class to get my Drivers license Endorsement in September 2021. I have risen her in groups and alone. She is my buddy, lover, and constant companion. Ride her often. And remember your NO Evil Kanevil.
Johnny M. King, Retired
Computer Engineering
Motorcycle Rider (Active)

1sttimebiker
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda vt750

#3 Unread post by 1sttimebiker »

Thanks for the reply buddie. Really appreciate it. I'm going to take me new bike back out this week to a nice empty car park. Practice some slow speed movements an get used to my new girl. 💪🏍

CorneliaMedrano
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: YAMAHA FZ-S

#4 Unread post by CorneliaMedrano »

Hello @Kyle glad to read your post here. I also love to ride bike as well.

SamEdward
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2012 BMW F650

#5 Unread post by SamEdward »

1sttimebiker wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:44 am Hey guy an gals, my name is Kyle and I'm from the UK. I passed my bike licence over a year ago an today finally bought a bike. I bought a Honda shadow vt750. This bike is very different to what I learnt on but I love the cruiser type of bike. So today took the bike up my street an went to do a u-turn at the bottom.... I dropped the bike only putting a scratch on the clutch as my leg stopped it from making contact with the ground. My leg is absolutely fine an the bike is too, however it's really hit my confidence HARD! Anyone ever experience this little mental battle as a first time rider. I do want to get back on it when I can just feel nervous about it. Wouldn't want to put anyone else in danger more to the point. Kind regards, Kyle.
Hi Kyle, Good to see that you have shared your experience with us. Really appreciate that!
I'm also not a much-experienced rider like others. At the start, everyone faces such nervousness and balancing issues so be focused on your skills and stay calm while riding. That's the only tip I want to suggest to you.

SamEdward
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: 2012 BMW F650

#6 Unread post by SamEdward »

Being a beginner almost everyone loses his/her confidence especially when someone set out traveling on highways. But in 2023 hope so you are an expert rider, right. Beginner riders should follow some tips for a better and smooth ride instead of being enthusiastic fellow.

Frenki112
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: BMW R60/2 Special

#7 Unread post by Frenki112 »

1sttimebiker wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:44 am Hey guy an gals, my name is Kyle and I'm from the UK. I passed my bike licence over a year ago an today finally bought a bike. I bought a Honda shadow vt750. This bike is very different to what I learnt on but I love the cruiser type of bike. So today took the bike up my street an went to do a u-turn at the bottom.... I dropped the bike only putting a scratch on the clutch as my leg stopped it from making contact with the ground. My leg is absolutely fine an the bike is too, however it's really hit my confidence HARD! Anyone ever experience this little mental battle as a first time rider. I do want to get back on it when I can just feel nervous about it. Wouldn't want to put anyone else in danger more to the point. Kind regards, Kyle. color tunnel
Hi Kyle,
While there are many ways to go about something like this, this conversion begins with a stout and low-slung mid-Sixties BMW /2 chassis and adds a more modern and more powerful, but still classic, mid-Seventies BMW engine and transmission. This means classic looks and handling with increased power, 12-volt electrics instead of 6-volt, and five forward gears. So, I had quite a bit of trouble driving it. I seem to have taken a long time to adapt.
:(
Last edited by Frenki112 on Wed May 24, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidYAMAHA001
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: YAMAHA YBR125

#8 Unread post by DavidYAMAHA001 »

Hi all! First falls really undermine insecurity. But the sooner you get back on and go, the sooner you can forget about it and get over your fear.

selfwork
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow 750

#9 Unread post by selfwork »

DavidYAMAHA001 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:51 pm Hi all! First falls really undermine insecurity. But the sooner you get back on and go, slope game the sooner you can forget about it and get over your fear.
Yes, it seems to make me stronger.

VitalityRoyality
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Honda CRF250X

#10 Unread post by VitalityRoyality »

Hi, everyone. Glad to join!