High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

ST3 vs. Monster 1000S2R v.s. Multistrada 1000

#1 Unread post by High_Side »

I had the opportunity to ride all three of these bikes yesterday and it was a blast. It was an out of town test ride put on by a local dealer and although they all share a similar engine, they couldn't be more different.
The Multistrada was first and I've been drooling after one of these for a while(yep, I know the looks put a lot of people off but I like it :P ). It was a nice ride but the seat was a little hard and the wind-protection was lacking for that type of bike. Getting used to cornering with those long legs might take a few minutes :P
Next up was the S2R 1000. As I rode Jens S2R 800 out to the event I was interested to see how this one felt. The big put-off for all of these bikes has been the dry-clutch for me (don't mention this in a Ducati forum!), and surprisingly they don't sound too bad when they are stock. Why everyone puts the open clutch covers on them so they sounds like cuttlery in a blender as soon as they buy them is beyond me. The suspension felt great (likely seems better as Jens has been lowered), and the extra torque was nice. Make mine a black and white please....
Last up was the ST3. The looks of this bike are quite bland and I hadn't even planned on riding it until an opening appeared. This was a NICE bike to ride. The engine felt far more refined than the others, the wind protection was great and it maintained the narrow Ducati-feel while providing the cushy ride. I love this bike but DAMN I would be an old geezer riding it. I better snap out of this one quick! The little punk-azz squid in me still wants the Monster :twisted:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: ST3 vs. Monster 1000S2R v.s. Multistrada 1000

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote:The little punk-azz squid in me still wants the Monster :twisted:
I have lusted after a monster since they came out in 1993. I have seriously thought about getting a Monster many times, but each time for whatever reason, I ended up getting something else.

This spring, I went to the Ducati dealer fully intending to buy a Monster S2R1000. To make a long story short, the "little punk-azz squid" in me told me to get the Hypermotard 1100 instead. :twisted:

I think the Monster to me is that it is one of the best looking bikes ever made. However riding it, it just sort of feels generic..... :roll:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS