I rode a Nightrod

Britjoe
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

I rode a Nightrod

#1 Unread post by Britjoe »

We went to a demo day at Southern HD today, I rode a Nightrod, and was disapointed a little by its performance at first,

I was a little unsure of riding in a Feet first riding position, Id never done it before, and found it a little strange at first, wind blowing up my pants, once I was moving it wasnt too bad, definately, not as natural, as Im used too.

first impressions was $30,000 for a bike that wobbles, and dosnt have the power it claims to have, But the fisnish and feel of the machine was outstanding, and faultless, but for what your paying it better be,

We rode for about 20 minutes and it wouldnt be enough time for me to actually have a strong feeling about a motorcycle that costs so much let alone buy one,

I personly feel the handling of the machine was sacraficed by its enormous rear tire, that really didnt need to be as large as it was, the seat hight was ridiculously low, but would suite some one who is of smaller stature perfectly, Im 6'3" and even though I was riding very low the controls were intuitive and felt ok

in a group ride like this, we never made it out of 2nd gear on the NIGHTROD, I backed of the throttle and gave it some gas on several Occaisions , then I had a epiphany, 4000 rpm. in any of the gears never rached its powerband, and when I hit the power, I could see the apeal, its not a VMAX by any measure, and handles badly I should imagine becouse of its very steap headstock angle, and its stupidly large rear rubber, lots of fun fersure, but would I pay 30K, nah.....

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#2 Unread post by KingRobb »

Um Night Rod is 14,900 and the night rod special is 16,500

or were you planning on buying both?
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

I'm gonna move this to the "Motorcycle Review" forum. Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

earwig
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by earwig »

I think you are on crack... or maybe just used to sport bikes. The Night Rod is a power cruiser... and for what it is, it handles GREAT. Where did you feel a wobble? There is no way that bike wobbled... Oh... and I know you didn't say you weren't impressed with the power? lol?

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

KingRobb wrote:Um Night Rod is 14,900 and the night rod special is 16,500

or were you planning on buying both?
They are ALOT more expensive in Canada where Joe lives...

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

High_Side wrote:They are ALOT more expensive in Canada where Joe lives...
MSRP for the Night Rod is $16,495. If Kane's or any other Calgary dealer is selling for higher than that, Deeley Canada will be on their case pretty quick. Unlike the US, the dealers in Canada are pretty much mandated to sell at the MSRP.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Britjoe
Legendary
Legendary

#7 Unread post by Britjoe »

Hey dont get mad at me for my reveiw, I came to riding this HD with a total open mind. I was told the Version of this bike I was riding was 32k plus change, I thought it was a ludicris price, so maybe some one informed me wrongly,

Im used to large 80's muscle bikes, that dont handle that great, the nightrod didnt feel it had the power of my 1986 GS1150,
I do own a streetfighterd GSXR 1000 2002 and I didnt compare it at all with that machine its like comparing chalk and chease.

I would compare the Night rod with a VMAX, but honestly it didnt have the power of the VMAX,

if you HARLEY riders, think the VROD is a power house, maybe you should just step out of the HD hype and just try something difernt, Im sure you will be very supprised how things handle and the power that is available at a margine of the price.

One last thing, I didnt want this reveiw of mine to become a japanese BIKES are crap, HARLEYS are agricultural debate, its a personal reveiw, and how I felt about a machine I love the visual look of,

Britjoe
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by Britjoe »

I just looked up the price for the nightrod special I was riding and it was $ 20,149 plus....

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#9 Unread post by Gummiente »

Britjoe wrote:I just looked up the price for the nightrod special I was riding and it was $ 20,149 plus....
Can you give the link to the website where you saw that? Because it sounds way out of whack to me.

And chill out, nobody was starting a japanese vs Harley debate. Earwig had disagreed with your report (and should have worded his response a bit nicer, too) but there was no mention of japanese bikes in his post or mine and nobody was getting mad, so please don't start a flame war.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

Gummiente wrote:
High_Side wrote:They are ALOT more expensive in Canada where Joe lives...
MSRP for the Night Rod is $16,495. If Kane's or any other Calgary dealer is selling for higher than that, Deeley Canada will be on their case pretty quick. Unlike the US, the dealers in Canada are pretty much mandated to sell at the MSRP.
Well, the cheapest V-Tod / Street Rod / Night Rod I have seen at Calgary Harley Davidson was around teh 22ish mark. That was a while ago, apparently Deely Canada hasn't jumped on their case too quickly....