Street Legal Dirt Bike

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by slimcolo »

Depends on your reason for dual sport. Do you want a hiway capeable and somewhat off road capable bike, or do you just want a dirt bike that you can don't have to haul to the track. The larger AT bikes like the 1000 cc and larger GS can be a real "dog" to handle on trails, and the smaller ones may not give you enough power on the hiway. The 400-650 range gives a good blend and has several good machines offered by a variety of manufacturers. As with street bikes the European machines seem to be a lot more pricey. Also keep in mind that most, not all, knobbies are not DOT approved.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

klrrider
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by klrrider »

Hi everybody...

Just thought this to be an interesting subject. I have always enjoyed riding the "dual sport" bikes. I am presently riding a 1986 KLR 600. This was the precursor to the KLR 650 that has been around since 1987. The 600 (actually 564cc) was made for 3 years. At the time I purchased this bike (from ebay) it was not my first choice but what I could afford at the time. I have ever since been impressed with this bike. It is a little bit more "dirty" than the 650 and is virtually bullet proof. I agree with the statement "there is no such thing as a bad motorcycle". I have ridden quite a few different ones and each has its own merits. If I were to go out an buy a new one right now I would go with the Suzuki DRZ400. My son is thinking about the new Yamaha WR 250.
www.streetlegaldirt.com