Street Legal Dirt Bike

Shreddi
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Street Legal Dirt Bike

#1 Unread post by Shreddi »

Any opinions on a Street legal enduro, dual purpose bike like the Honda XR650L or the Suzuki DR 400S? or even the KTM 950 Supermoto (but thats getting a little too out there). I have a pure street bike and building another and just looking for a fun bike to take offroad. Even the Honda 250 Rukus looks fun but I heard there not that great but If anyone can tell me anything I would really appreciate it. Thanks much.
doiNk?

Shreddi
Rookie
Rookie

Talking to myself

#2 Unread post by Shreddi »

Cool, Checked out the Suzuki DR and thats the one. Lots of travel and the closest thing to MX bike thats street legal out there than anything else. Just to ride around town and off road. I have big heavy street bike for street and longer rides. Unless anyone can recomend better that seems to be the best I can find. Thansk. :frusty:
doiNk?

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

klr 650

or suzuki's dr 650 as well.

Good sized all around bike
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Shreddi
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks

#4 Unread post by Shreddi »

I will look at the 650 Suzuki too. I did check out the Honda 650 and liked it a lot but The dealer pointed out that the 400 is much better for dirt purpose. He pointed out the fact the 400 even cost more because of the technology put into it vs. the 650. I did not check this out myself but will now. Thanks much for your input.
doiNk?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

I second the Kawasaki KLR 650 recommendation.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Shreddi
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks much

#6 Unread post by Shreddi »

I just looked the Kawi up and it does look good. I will go check out at dealer sit on it and stuff. I want something light that will fly with lots of travel. A MX bike thats Street legal. Thanks much.
doiNk?

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by roscowgo »

There is also a Buttload of dual-sporters over on www.advriders.com And a whole slew of overly impressive ride reports/pics.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#8 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

It's a tough decision....there is merit in most of the newer models these days.

I'd probably look at a KTM V-Twin! :mrgreen:

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by paul246 »

Getting into this a bit late I suppose, but I can relate to your quest. I also wanted a dual sport that was stronger in the "dirt capable" category. The two most capable bikes are the Suzuki DRZ400S and the Honda XR650L. I chose the Honda because it is air cooled. Not a big deal, I just wanted to eliminate the possibility of a punched rad. But both bikes are true dirt bikes.

The KLR 650 is a nice dual sport, but is not really all out dirt capable. The suspension isn't meant for anything seriousiouly off-road. The fact that the rear wheel on the KLR is only 17 inches limits your choice of off-road tires available. The KLR is more top heavy and with the 2008 model more to damage in the way of fairings when a spill is taken. The KLR's emphasis is more about riding longer distances on paved roads with occasional forays up trails and fireroads.

The BMW Dakar is scarily useless off-road, but brilliant on road. But too heavy and expensive for my purposes anyway.

KTM's are expensive but at least capable. Still, dumping one on a regular basis could get depressing (expensive).

Of course I have more experience riding the Honda XR650L so would recommend it as "my" first choice. It has been around a long time and started life as the XR600r dirt machine. Its proven, tough and simple. Tons of controllable suspension travel, and superior ground clearance. My second choice would be the Suzuki DRZ400S or a converted Honda XR650R making it into a street legal dual sport.

There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#10 Unread post by Gadjet »

You might also want to check out BMW's new G650X series - the X Trail is far more dirt oriented than the F650GS.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc