Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1999 XL600V Transalp.

KLR 650

#1 Unread post by Joey Hellfish »

Hey guys...
Im looking to buy a Kawie KLR650 in the future and was thinking which year they made them better. I know they had carbs up untill the year whatever, and that they didn´t change for quite a few years, but anyway, I think my question would be what used KLR would give me more bang for my buck (which is´nt much). Oh and also, do any of you live anywhere near the border with mexico? I would like to explore the posibility of bringing one down here from the US, they are mucho cheap over there.
Thanks a lot
JOE:
Previous: 1989 Honda VTR250 (sold it :( )
Now: 1999 Honda XL600V Transalp!

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Ian522 »

The KLR has been redesigned for 2008.

This article compares the new one with the old version.
http://klrworld.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=112

tortus
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by tortus »

what is it? totally naive question. the 2008 klr looks like a dual sport crossed with a ninja 650r. i've never seen such a "lush" dual sport before. what is the overall purpose/goal of the klr if you dont mind me asking?

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Shorts »

Dual Sport. Nimble, capable, relatively light, street legal, good mileage, pack mule....

Dual Sports are very popular in JPN where terrain has no zoning. Mountain towns, city roads, buzzing expressways, single lane farm road - the bike you're on has got to be capable of getting you around, but also being good at getting you around. Not to mention, recreation. You can load up your bike, go on a reoad trip, camping along the way, taking switchbacks and fire trails. The bike has to handle it and non can do all that better than a dual sport

The streets in America don't compare. A lot of folks on base here ride dual sports and lots of JPN riders do to. They ae excellent. Of course, the seats aren't going to be the best, but the bike overall is about trying to do as many things as possible.

A few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Tm89X_aFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQDqORDhN8

tortus
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by tortus »

there's just too many kinds of bikes. i want to own them all! :)

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#6 Unread post by Gadjet »

the KLR has remained virtually unchanged from it's introduction in 1987 until they did the (mostly cosmetic) upgraded 2008 model. Pre-2008, there is no 'better model'.

And they are all carbureted, even the '08
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#7 Unread post by flw »

The following utube user has a fair number of on and off road bike reviews (dual purpose) so see http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=motousa for his videos of several different bikes. At least somewhat like your describing.

Or do some searches on utube.com or livevideo.com yourself on at least two key words so you don't get back too many results. i.e. motorcycle KLR etc...
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

klrrider
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by klrrider »

The KLR600 was available in '84-'86 and every once in a while you can find one in halfway decent shape. Most parts are still available and even some of the KLR650 parts are interchangeable. The 600 (564cc) is not as popular as the 650 so is usually cheaper. A good dependable kick around bike if you are concern about $$$. I have been riding one for about 5 years now. I commute to work and ride in the hills on weekends and holidays. I run Perrilli (spelling?) MT21 DOTs and they seem to work the best for me. I think only the '86 is electric start (and kick start).
www.streetlegaldirt.com