M50 Prices

KDCruise
Rookie
Rookie

M50 Prices

#1 Unread post by KDCruise »

Guys, firstly thanks for the great site and its a pleasure to join, hope everyones cool.

I am looking to buy my first cruiser :D but getting it imported from the states, to me here in the UK. Theres a decent amount of money to be saved. I have a quote from a NY dealer for $6,495 for the bike, and roughly $985 to have the bike flown over to me.

Does this appear reasonable, or could it be beaten ?? Views appreciated
Whatever you do, think about it first!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

It's kind of hard to tell, I don't have any idea what bike your talking about. Did you consider the import duty.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

KDCruise
Rookie
Rookie

M50 Prices

#3 Unread post by KDCruise »

Hi John, the topic is headed M50 Prices, so thats the bike im talking aboyt, although one thing I did miss to mention was that it is the new 2008 model. Yes I have considered the import duty etc. The prices I have shown are for the bike, and the dleivery of it to me by air.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

:oops:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Hipster Doofus
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Hipster Doofus »

You'll aslo have to take into account the different laws for getting it on the road in the UK.

If I got a bike sent down here I would have to spend $$$$$$ to get the emissions to an accepted state before getting a roadworthy on it.

Also is it being shipped in the box or put together. 1/ You have to assemble it. 2/ Could very easily get damaged, scratched.

KDCruise
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by KDCruise »

Hi Hipster, yes I currently have the forms being sent out to me by the office of transport here in the UK. They provide all the requirements for importing a vehicle to the UK and the associated costs.

Good point regarding the emmisions. However the bike I am buying, the M50 Boulevard, is already available in the UK, but called the M800 Intruder. Its the same bike and has the same emmisions, so that is why I havnt considered it, as it has already passed the standard.

As for using crates for shipping, yes I believe the most common form of containing the bike during transit is by the use of crates. There is a company who I wont name, because im not sure if you are allowed, who is regularly recommended and they use crates to ship. They show pictures of how the bike is secured during delivery and it appears to be done professionaly. Of course there is a risk of damage, but having read many of the customer reports on the website, which I accept could be bullshit, they have been satisfied with the delivery.

I have now had another quote from a dealer in flemington NJ for $6,299 not including delivery.

Still looking for inputs on this topic.

Hipster Doofus
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Hipster Doofus »

The reason I mentioned the emissions is because we get the M50 here too but it is not built the same.

From the Australian Suzuki web site.
"Overseas models are usually built to different specifications to those required for the Australian market. Do not assume that a motorcycle that seems to be identical to a model already available in Australia meets the required Australian Design Rules (ADRs). Generally, only vehicles that have been built specifically for the Australian market comply with all of the required ADRs."

I thought we were more inline with the UK (EU) than the States. One difference is that over here we have an 02 sensor on the exhaust. If it is missing it would be hard if not impossible to get it on the road.

Make sure is is exactly like the UK model.......if it makes a difference in the UK that is. :frusty: :laughing: