used bike/needs work/ good idea???

gypsy_woman
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

used bike/needs work/ good idea???

#1 Unread post by gypsy_woman »

Love the retro standard look but it has been sitting, for 350 i think that i could stand to make repairs though, i don't mind getting my hands dirty or spending a couple hundred(up to 300 dollars) to get this bike in pretty good shape. I would love to learn how to work on bikes a little more anyways. bottom line: Is this a Can of Worms/ Money PIT?
thanks,
gypsy

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/618986023.html
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" -Janis Joplin-

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#2 Unread post by flynrider »

That bike is one big question mark? It's 36 yrs. old and doesn't appear to be in running condition. I automatically ignore ad comments like, 'It was running last year'. It may or may not have been, but you weren't looking to buy it last year anyway, so it's a moot point. Carbs were cleaned last year. Again, maybe and maybe not. Doesn't matter because they probably need to have it done again after sitting for so long. As a rule, I only buy non-running old bikes at scrap metal value. Until you've torn into it, you just don't know how bad off it is. It may not be worth fixing at all (hence the scrap metal value).

If you have to have someone else fix it up, I can virtually guarantee that you'll spend more than $300 in parts and labor. If you do it all yourself, you still might not come in under the $300 wire.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this as a first bike. You would probably spend more time working on it than riding it.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

gypsy_woman
Regular
Regular

good point!

#3 Unread post by gypsy_woman »

Yeah, i figured i may have been getting a little over excited. that is why i posted this, what i really want is a suzuki savage, and i am finding them very cheap on craigslist, they are "tanks" (ok, maybe more like a "mule") from what i hear! thanks for the advice, i was trying to take on a bigger project than i have the skill or money to handle. thanks for the response!
gypsy
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" -Janis Joplin-

bhuvana
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Re:used bike/needs work/ good idea???

#4 Unread post by bhuvana »

hey gypsy it seems you are about to make a 36 year old bike.you cannot rule out the chances of some bike performing exceedingly well than what it is designed for.so you can still hang on to your option as you are ready to spend a little for that.
-----------
bhuvana