ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: HD Rant

#21 Unread post by Gummiente »

kingpinman wrote:I ride a cruiser, no need for a full up tourer, so my tastes are somewhat biased to a faster, smoother and lighter bike. Sorry to those of you who feel that truthfullness is bashing...........
Truthfulness is quite acceptable and welcomed here, but as an owner of several Harleys and other brands over the years, I, too, question your objectivity and and facts. The only Harley I've ever encountered that had excessive vibration was my '06 Super Glide that ate three rubber motor mounts in the short time I had it, due to a manufacturing defect. I ride a Road Glide now and, while it does shake and bounce about AT IDLE, it is bar none the smoothest riding bike I have owned. That includes my '01 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Not sure how much you know about Harleys and bikes in general, but a rubber-mount motor is supposed to act like a demon possessed at idle or very low speeds. At anything above a walking pace, any FL model Harley smooths out to a very comfy ride. Not quite as smooth as a Gold Wing but, in my experience, with a much better seating position.

But that is just my opinion, based on 26yrs of riding different brands. :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#22 Unread post by storysunfolding »

kingpinman wrote:No HD bashing,
Ah- but all your first posts were to pull up harley threads and throw up derogatory statements. Why not an intro post? Or something about your victory?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#23 Unread post by Gummiente »

storysunfolding wrote:Why not an intro post? Or something about your victory?
He probably doesn't actually own one yet, he's just reiterating what the nice Victory salesman told him. :lol:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#24 Unread post by HYPERR »

I am not brand specific buyer as you can probably tell from my auto-sig. I don't care where it's made; Japan, USA, Italy, Germany, Austria, etc. I don't care if it has one cylinder, two, three, four, or six. If for whatever reason it floats my boat, I am going to buy it.
I love every types of motorcycles as each genre offers something very unique and I personally enjoy each and every type. I really have never "met" any motorcycle that I didn't like. Anytime I see another motorcycle on the road or in a parking lot, my head always naturally turn to look at it. It doesn't matter if it's a POS rat or a six figure beauty.

That being said, I think Harley riders sometimes are too sensitive. When someones makes fun of another brand whether it be a BMW, Ducati, Kawasaki, or whatever. It usually gets dismissed as IMO & IYO. However anytime something negative is said about a Harley, people jump all over. Actually this forum is the most mild. In another forum(Dirt Bike), someone made a negative remark about a Sportster and before you knew it, there were F words and threats of bodily harm being exchanged. :shock:

Harleys are not for everyone. Just like Goldwings aren't either. Harleys are designed to be what they are. Huge pistons going up and down simultaneously are going to shake, no question about it. Harley can easily design a bike with a different crank so it will run much smoother....but then it wouldn't be a Harley would it? :wink: The sound and the feel would drastically change.

BTW, Gummiente is 100% right about the rubber mounting on the 'Glides. At idle the engine looks like it's going to jump right out of the frame. And yes the fiberglass tourpac looks like it's going to shatter into a million pieces. However once you get going, the system amazingly smoothes out to give you a relatively smooth ride with just the right amount of lumpiness to let you know theres two big jugs underneath you. :D

Motorcycling is not always about refinement or "perfection". I like the Buells from the mid 1990s(when they had the Sportster engine) much better than todays Buell(which technically are far superior bikes). My friend had a built to the hilt, 1995 and that sucker sounded outrageous. :D Not as good as a race tuned Norton Manx but nothing sounds that good. :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#25 Unread post by jonnythan »

HYPERR wrote: When someones makes fun of another brand whether it be a BMW, Ducati, Kawasaki, or whatever. It usually gets dismissed as IMO & IYO. However anytime something negative is said about a Harley, people jump all over.
That's because people say really stupid stuff about Harleys.

Whenever people say such stupid things about other bikes - which happens, but not often - people jump all over it too.

Harleys get the "mark your territory with oil" and "vibrate your teeth loose" and "overpriced and unreliable" and "those jerks have such big egos" crap. I don't see people making fun of Kawasakis' (nonexistent) propensity to leak oil.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#26 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Hey, don't get me wrong, I take swipes at harleys all the time if not in good natured fun, at least to keep those RUB's on their toes. Yet flooding every recent harley post with the same crap strikes me as a bit tacky.

There's always some good natured back and forth about each others rides. Makes sense when each of us thinks our bike is the best out there, mainly because it's the best for us. I have some long running "rivalries" with area bikers about their bikes and people at first think we're serious, but realize when the phrase "overgrown rice eating bastrd of a weedwacker" is uttered that no one is being serious. This didn't seem like it was in good nature.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#27 Unread post by Brackstone »

The problem here is fanboyism. There was a recent article done in regards to people buying the latest gaming consoles.

The study found that people bought what they feel is best and then they instantly dismiss the other consoles because they feel it undermines their decision.

IMO this is only exaggerated when you can only afford one console, or in this case one bike.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#28 Unread post by HYPERR »

jonnythan wrote:
Harleys get the "mark your territory with oil"
That's an old Triumph joke. "Triumphs don't leak oil. They mark their spot".

Q: Why do Brits drink beer at room temperature?

A: Lucas refrigerators.

:laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

kingpinman
Rookie
Rookie

HD Bashing

#29 Unread post by kingpinman »

Geez fella's, give a guy a break! Sorry to those I offended, and those of you who are diehard HD fans.
I have owned several bikes in my 58+ years of being on this wonderful Earth, Honda's mostly, and couple of Suzuki's, a Yamahopper, and my first new crusier, an '06 Victory Kingpin Deluxe. Bought it brand new from a feller in Kentucky who won it in a drawing, and didn't know a thing about bikes. So, he listed it on Ebay, and couldn't get it sold for MSRP. Being the nice guy that I am, and had test ridden an '05 Kingpin and loved it, I offered the guy a sum of money and he accepted. I drove from Kansas to Kentucky and picked it up! I've absolutely loved it ever since! And guys, it is American made, ya know!
Ok. Now, I'll be real honest with all you. I've never owned a Harley, and probably won't. I've ridden several, and what you have said is true, that at idle they shake all over the place. And at 10MPH, and at 20MPH they get better, but even at 65MPH, there is a little telltale vibration that was in my brothers '08 Ultra-Glide. Not a lot, but enough to feel. My Kingpin has no vibration at idle, nor at speed, and that's why I love my current bike. My last bike, a Honda 1100 Aero didn't have much vibration either, although at speeds of over 60, it was more noticeable........ and I don't own that bike anymore. Comfort to me is not only at idle, but at cruising speed, and the HD was not comfy for me.
I'll cool the HD "bashing".......... but honestly, when a Harley rider says there is NO vibration, I honestly have to snicker a little..........
:laughing:

ondeckchamps
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by ondeckchamps »

Have never owned a Harley,always Honda.Had a V65 for about 10 yrs and the performance from this bike was hair raising to say the least.Traded it for a new Suzuki c90,I wanted a fatboy,but after riding my son-in-laws was left wanting more(performance wise).With the c90 I get both the looks of a fat boy with more performance.

I think bikes are what you want.After owning a v65 and never finishing second to anyone,it's performance for me.My son-in-law and I ride togeather often and his fatboy can't compete with my c90 off the line or 5 miles down the road.

Harley Davidson will always be the industry leader in looks and sound but as for performance you got to give it to the metrics.
To live is to RIDE.