ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

#121 Unread post by HYPERR »

BRUMBEAR wrote:To be honest DOC I really do but as a Buell guy I have a moral imperative to scootch Harley whenever possible. :mrgreen: I have owned them in the past I will own them again XR1200 is a great bike but I will always remember Image
Many years ago, I don't really remember exactly when, but it was at the height of Harley's immense popularity; I went to my local Harley Dealer with the intention of buying a Buell. :kicking: The showroom was a beautiful brand new brick building fit for a luxury car dealership. :shock: It was my day off and I walked in wearing shorts and tee shirt. I really felt out of place there; I felt as I should be wearing a suit and a tie. :oops: The Buells were shoved in the corner like lepers. Once they saw me checking out the Buells, they had no interest in me. :boat: I felt uncomfortable with the whole place and walked out shortly thereafter. :( I'm not quite sure which of my bike I ended up buying that time, it might've been the 1998 Honda VFR800FI...but I definitely bought something as I've bought a lot of bikes. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#122 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

The whole Harley Deal for awhile was about a look not the machine so I just kinda laugh at them guys but there are still old timers out there and ya know em when ya see em or meet em. Evel Keneval was Harley to me not some pirate with leather so new it aint got bugs in it and boots that aint greasey :mrgreen:
This is Harley to me
there aint nothin like it

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#123 Unread post by Johnj »

Bunch of long haired, dope smoking, avatar reading, living in a commune, unwashed hippie, Marxist, pinko, jazzfreaks.
My kind of people. :lol:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jstanley01
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: Oogling Bonnevilles

#124 Unread post by jstanley01 »

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then Harley wins hands down, in North America anyway. Decade after decade, you can't fling a cat across a competitor's showroom without it bouncing off of a half a dozen or more v-twin wannabes. Which, as fine of motorcycles as they may be, there's one thing they will never be and that's a Harley. History is what it is. And if to own a part of that history, you've gotta fit yourself to the bike here and there instead of having a bike refined to fit you in every detail, well, that's a big part of the history of motorcycling too... :twocents:

...and besides, dentists need the work! :mrgreen:

Shriker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 37
My Motorcycle: '13 VMax,'98 VTR1000F, '87 XT350

#125 Unread post by Shriker »

I began to love motorcycles when I was about 10 or so . Dirt bikes (Yamaha GT80 , oh yea! 1977 or so) first then street bikes. My father had a beautiful '76 CB750F Super Sport that he would give us rides on . He got a really nice AMF owned Harley ..... remember it looked great . What a complete POS. Sold it quickly. As I began riding street bikes at around 15 (73 CB350 twin, lots of fun) , as I got better I was intrigued with performance. LOVED my dads CB750F and began to ride friends bikes as I got older . EVERY Harley I rode then, 60's models through early 80's models were TERRIBLE. The Japanese bikes were were sooo far ahead in every way. Then HD got bailed out in the 80's they were soooo bad.

They turned things around and slowly made better bikes. The late 80's models with the EVO motor were a huge improvement but they still were not even close to the competition. LOW power , horrible brakes and suspensions, still not exactly reliable. Into the 90's and they picked up steam .....by the late 90's they were just about on top again . The difference was they werent really good bikes , they were merely good bikes BUT HD Marketed and Sold people a lifestyle . Their bikes improved....today they are reliable and offer decent performance for their intended category but again they generally offer style not substance.

Buell took the poor ole sportster HD motor and built a sport bike around it with character that was a blast.....HD didnt appreciate in the end unfortunately . Buell DESERVES better than HD can provide and EBR will hopefully continue to grow and prosper in the future.

As for HD , the are past their marketing peek though they still have a strong presence and still sell a coolness factor. The bottom line is , that ANYONE who is truly a MOTORCYCLE enthusiast of any sort is not really a Harley person. Sure you may enjoy them on occassion or even own one in the stable , but your RIDING lust is not totally satisfied by one. There are plenty of folks that will argue otherwise, but most if not all of these have NEVER ridden any thing else or at least nothing but a cruiser.

Just my honest opinion of course...... :)

Haeberle
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Sportster Custom 883

#126 Unread post by Haeberle »

Yes, Harley's are everything they are cracked up to be.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#127 Unread post by sapaul »

Shriker has hit the nail(partially) on the head. The part he missed out is that for many people the HD's have satisfied their particular need. In that respect they are successful.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#128 Unread post by Gummiente »

Shriker wrote:The bottom line is , that ANYONE who is truly a MOTORCYCLE enthusiast of any sort is not really a Harley person. Sure you may enjoy them on occassion or even own one in the stable , but your RIDING lust is not totally satisfied by one. There are plenty of folks that will argue otherwise, but most if not all of these have NEVER ridden any thing else or at least nothing but a cruiser.
After 31 years of riding on 13 different bikes from six different manufacturers, I call bullshit on your opinion. A true motorcycle enthusiast acknowledges ALL motorcycles and considers ALL riders as friends until proved otherwise. WHAT you ride is not important, THAT you ride is. Until you understand that basic concept, you are not really a motorcycle enthusiast.

Just my honest opinion, of course. :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#129 Unread post by dr_bar »

Nope, things haven't changed a bit... LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

heel55
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2000/honda/shadow

#130 Unread post by heel55 »

Just look on ebay at all the used Harleys that are not selling. I've had 2 and could not sell either one for anywhere near the purchase price. What turned me off more than anything was the air cooled engine, in the south in the summer your engine can cook.