ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by RC DAVE »

Isn't it great that we are all so pasionate about what we ride. I think alot of us forget about just being on two wheels. there are so many people out HERE that have no idea what it's like to take off on a sunday morning to go riding! not to model there bikes on the corner or to show off there new 500$ hog club jacket or the turbo huyabusa that does 190. I find myself riding alone alot because i dont stop at the local SPOT to show off and blow smoke up others a$$ about how nice the newest bike is. It kills me to see people at daytona every year looking for a place to park there trailers. I get the fact that riding to fl from 1000 miles away in march isn't always fun but even here in tampa 150 miles away it's like a train going acoss I-4 to daytona unload bike ride to main street and polish the bike! not just harleys but deffinatley the majority. If ya really are into riding than ride! I have an 8 year old son thats been riding for 4 years now probably longer than alot of people i know, and when we load up the bikes and head for the track his eyes are just glowing ! and has no idea what bike is what just wants to ride. he's got a polaris 4 wheeler a ktm 50 and an xr 70 the XR50 is mine!! and when i ask him what he wants to ride tonight the answer is lets take em all dad. what i'm trying to say is we forget about the joy of riding and worry about this medial bullshit. will it ever stop no, but what a waste of time. HD versys everyone else c'mon> and i have never met a true RIDER that hasn't owned a japanese or brit bike before and if there first bike is a harley they made a mistake because there not ready for it (blast maybe). Oh well all done for now Gentleman have a great day relax and ride YOUR bike BECAUSE IT IS YOURS. And just how good are ya really. Have ya ever gone into a first turn with 41 other bikes wide open! it's pretty cool
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

dayll
Rookie
Rookie

Harleys vs the world

#62 Unread post by dayll »

I don't do the racing or touring thing anymore now I just like cruising around town on warm summer nights and brisk dawn rides for breakfast. I have owned over twenty bikes over the years - everything from MXers to big inch Japanese bikes. My favorite was a new '69 BSA Lightning ( I loved sitting at red lights and looking down at the front wheel and watch it vibrate.) Never owned a Harley - never even rode one! And now, at this late date (I'm geologically old.) I find myself champing-at-the-bit to sell my big Honda and buy a new Sportster. (WTF?) Note: In my life I have committed a PLETHORA of sins but none greater than back in the early Seventies I took that sacred BSA Lightning and made a desert sled out of it. I know I will never be forgiven for that - ever! -dayll

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite

#63 Unread post by RC DAVE »

Day if you have owened that many bikes and never a harley u owe it to your self to get one and with the expierience u have go for a fat boy or a street glide i think u will like it very much, my dad just was saying the same thing abaout age and getting THERE, Came home with a new Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic and wow what a bike it does everything but steer itself. not my bag at this point but i owned a fatboy (97) and it was fun just to different of a crowd for me at the time.
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#64 Unread post by XB08 »

Is harley worth it , yes and no. it you always wanted on yes. if you want to save some bucks no.

joolz
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: '09 VN900 Custom

#65 Unread post by joolz »

Test rode a couple of Harleys- 1st was the 883- ended up getting the Bonnie cos the salesman was willing to deal Then last year took a Fat Bob out- Got the Rocket cos it was, for me, better
I kiss my dog on the mouth

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#66 Unread post by Amdonim »

You know, it comes from both sides. I have friends that can't stand anything American made, bikes or cars (with a look at government motors company there seems to be some truth, but I digress). And I've also had people yell stuff like "Get a Harley" or "Upgrade to a Harley" when riding my Shadow. Honestly I don't care one way or the other, I ride what gets my rocks off and so does everyone else. Only thing that really REALLY bugs me about Harley is all those freaking acronyms! Do they confuse the hell out of anyone else?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#67 Unread post by Gummiente »

Amdonim wrote:Only thing that really REALLY bugs me about Harley is all those freaking acronyms!
They're model designations, not acronyms. Acronyms are abbreviations formed by using the first letters of phrases or names. HOG, for example, which is short for Harley Owners Group.

Model designations are an entirely different animal... my Road Glide is known as the FLTR, while a V-Rod falls under the VRSC family and a Super Glide is an FXD. They may be confusing to some people, at least until they become more familiar with the make, but Harley isn't the only one that uses model designations as well as catchy names. Ever hear of the GSXR? The M109? How about an R80/GS? And so on. :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#68 Unread post by HYPERR »

Gummiente wrote:
Model designations are an entirely different animal... my Road Glide is known as the FLTR, while a V-Rod falls under the VRSC family and a Super Glide is an FXD. They may be confusing to some people, at least until they become more familiar with the make, but Harley isn't the only one that uses model designations as well as catchy names. Ever hear of the GSXR? The M109? How about an R80/GS? And so on. :wink:
You gotta admit, some of the model designations are quite long; such as the FLHTCUI designation for the Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

However, unlike Suzuki which got rid of great model names like the Intruder, Savage, Marauder, etc and went to stupid model designations like M109, Harley at least kept all the model names......and they have some of the most clever ones, like Softail, Sportster, VRod, any of the ....Glides, etc.
Last edited by HYPERR on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#69 Unread post by koji52 »

I love my VRSCDXA

(except for scraping the exhaust and pegs)
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#70 Unread post by HYPERR »

koji52 wrote:I love my VRSCDXA

(except for scraping the exhaust and pegs)
Does it have the stock rear shock and if so where do you have it set at? My friend had the same bike and the stock shock is a POS and it definitely got a little better when we set it at full stiff.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS