ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

Unread post by badinfluence63 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Harleys should be bashed and there flaws pointed out. I am a life time harley guy and I wouldn't want the moco to become complacent. I am more then a little concerned with all the recent high tech applications because that equates a break down today leaves you stranded. Period. Like all bikes HD's have good and bad points. I have owned a Suzuki and Yamaha and its not the same.

My current rides:

1983 FLHS
1998 Ultra w/ ULE sidecar
2001 Ultra

Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

My bike choices

Unread post by 0992 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:19 pm

I'm on my 2nd HD V-Rod and have over 50,000 miles on them. They are the only HD I would buy again. My wife also has one and loves it. My other choice, which I'm looking at now, would be an 08 Yamaha Road Star for a longer range bike although I would still keep the V-Rod. The V-Rod handles super smooth and has alot of guts and is alot of fun on the twisties and back roads. The other HD's are not near as smooth and do not hit my wish list for my next bike. If it's not a V-Rod for me, then it's going to be something else that is non Harley. The hard core HD fans can have their air cooled Harleys. I want performace and I don't need status. Victory's also come close to the top of my list for performance but just ride a little stiffer.
I have ridden almost everything out there and that's my choices (my personal preferences)

Gummiente
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: '15 HD Road Glide

Re: My bike choices

Unread post by Gummiente » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:23 pm

0992 wrote:and I don't need status.
This is going to shock you to the core and seriously f*** up your world, but...

... some of us don't buy Harleys for "status".

Carry on.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
'15 Road Glide
"If loud pipes really did save lives, imagine what you
could accomplish if you learned how to ride that thing"

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

Unread post by badinfluence63 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:56 pm

... some of us don't buy Harleys for "status".
I am confused. You mean after 30+ years and 6 harleys I was buying them for the wrong reason? Thats it! I am going to the Honda dealer and getting a Goldwing!

Not.

All joking aside I am sure that some buy the HD for image but don't some of the sportbike guys do the same thing? There are as many reasons to own a bike as there are models and makes. All are relevent. So what if someone thinks he is cool for owning what ever bike he has. Everyone on 2 wheels faces the same ordeals on the road such as cars, mechanical malfunctions etc...

Patch holders take it to a whole 'nother level.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

Unread post by RockBottom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:16 am

This may have been posted somewhere here before, but seemed appropriated for this thread (I kept the list because my boss--who is heading for Sturgis right now--and my neighbor are both die hard Harley heads):

Harley-Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the adverse side effect of horsepower

Did you know 95% of all Harleys are still on the road? The other 5% actually made it home.

What's the cheapest way to get another 50hp from your Harley? Trade it in on a Suzuki.

Why don't Harley riders sit on their bikes when the sidestands are down?
They're afraid to lean over that far.

What's the difference between a Harley and a Harley owner's home? The
Harley costs more and has fewer wheels.

Why don't Harley riders wave at sportbike riders? Because they don't want to drop their tools.

How do you know all the aftermarket parts you bought for your Harley are worth the money? You finally break into the 15's in the quarter mile.

What do you call a group of Harley Owners with a collective IQ of 120?
Sturgis!

How do Harley engineers tell if a bike is worthy of the Harley name?
They check to make sure the exhaust noise in decibels exceeds the horsepower rating.

Why do Harleys have fringe? So you can tell if they're moving.

How is a Harley Davidson like an old dog? They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

What's the difference between a Harley taken to Daytona on a trailer
and one that's being ridden there? The one on the trailer is going about 30mph faster.

Why do all Harley owners have trailers? So they can go around corners faster!

You know you're a Harley rider if...

...you're unable to let your bike simply IDLE at a stop light.

...you confuse the word "character" with the more accurate term "engineering flaws".

..."water cooled" means standing on the side of the road, in the rain, waiting for a wrecker.

Gummiente

Unread post by Gummiente » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 am

Just once I'd like to see something completely original when it comes to Harley bashing, but I guess that's just too much to ask. That list was around when I was a newbie in the online world over 10 years ago. Welcome to the Interweb, RockBottom. :roll:
'15 Road Glide

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

Unread post by RockBottom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 am

Gummiente wrote:Just once I'd like to see something completely original when it comes to Harley bashing, but I guess that's just too much to ask. That list was around when I was a newbie in the online world over 10 years ago. Welcome to the Interweb, RockBottom. :roll:
Please accept my deep apologies for not having your depth of experience.

Gummiente

Unread post by Gummiente » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:34 am

RockBottom wrote:Please accept my deep apologies for not having your depth of experience.
I hope your keyboard shorted out from all that sarcasm dripping on it. :laughing:
'15 Road Glide

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Unread post by HYPERR » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:54 am

Gummiente wrote:
RockBottom wrote:Please accept my deep apologies for not having your depth of experience.
I hope your keyboard shorted out from all that sarcasm dripping on it. :laughing:
:laughing:

As for the HD jokes, yeah those have been around forever but they are still funny. :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by koji52 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:32 pm

there's a never ending line of idiots waiting for the perfect moment to bash on HD
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

Unread post by HYPERR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 pm

koji52 wrote:there's a never ending line of idiots waiting for the perfect moment to bash on HD
So what do you call the plethora of HD guys that bash other bikes? Are they idiots too?
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by koji52 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:35 pm

"plethora" is not the correct word as it denotes diversity and is inclusive of many...but ignorance does run on both sides of the road. However, to me, it seems that most of the hostility towards HD from other people is the "selling out" factor we apparently do to the most associated brand in the US with the word "motorcycle." I will not argue that some people buy HD bikes just for the name, but it's stupid to generalize all HD riders into that category. I for one am not included in your "plethora" of HD riders who talk crap on sport bikes. I'll stick with my "antiquated, slow, heavy and expensive piece of metal garbage" as some will say.
2008 Buell 1125R

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Unread post by jonnythan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 pm

HYPERR wrote:
koji52 wrote:there's a never ending line of idiots waiting for the perfect moment to bash on HD
So what do you call the plethora of HD guys that bash other bikes? Are they idiots too?
Uh, yeah. Idiots are idiots no matter what brand of bike they own.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

Unread post by HYPERR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 pm

koji52 wrote:plethora" is not the correct word as it denotes diversity
Sure it is. Plethora denotes a surplus not diversity.
koji52 wrote: However, to me, it seems that most of the hostility towards HD from other people is the "selling out" factor
Don't know too many people that care about that. Most of the HD bashing jokes seems to be rooted more with the older traditional Harley and their riders. The more unreliable Shovels and the more traditional biker riders.....not the more reliable Evos and the new generation Yuppy riders.
koji52 wrote: we apparently do to the most associated brand in the US with the word "motorcycle."
A little arronant are we not? :roll:

koji52 wrote: I will not argue that some people buy HD bikes just for the name, but it's stupid to generalize all HD riders into that category. I for one am not included in your "plethora" of HD riders who talk "crumb" on sport bikes. I'll stick with my "antiquated, slow, heavy and expensive piece of metal garbage" as some will say.
A little defensive are we? :laughing: Never did I say anything about you making fun of sportbike riders or talking sh!t about them, did I?
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by koji52 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm

not defensive at all...I was trying to make the point that I defend HD from the ignorant because I love my bike. The "selling out" factor addresses the long time "pay a premium to join a club" mentality that i've seen on here all too often. Finally, Harley Davidson is without a doubt the most identifiable brand when the word "motorcycle" is spoken in the US. I don't see how it's arrogant to state a fact.

My apologies on the definition of plethora...it does denote surplus. I had the wrong definition. It seems there is a plethora of riders who hate other brands. It just gets old.
2008 Buell 1125R

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Unread post by Brackstone » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:51 pm

I hate all of you equally :D
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

Unread post by HYPERR » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:23 pm

jonnythan wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
Uh, yeah. Idiots are idiots no matter what brand of bike they own.
The ones that ride Harleys or Sport Bikes more so.... :twisted:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite

no

Unread post by RC DAVE » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:59 pm

NO
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

texaswiz
Rookie
Rookie

Are Harleys all they are cracked up to be?

Unread post by texaswiz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Boy, that is like asking which oil is best or which religion is best. You will get all sorts of crank answers if you listen long enough.
The truth of it is that everyone is unconciously opinionated. If you ride a particular brand it would be disengenuous to say you did not like it.

Over the last fourty some years I have purchased Japanese, British and American bikes. For the most part, I enjoyed riding them all. Depending upon their vintage, the newer bikes were progressively better in design and function. Since I have not ridden all the bikes currently on sale it is impossible to say which is best.
Having got that disclaimer out there, let me tell you about my current bike which is an 09 Harley Street Glide. Unlike earlier Harleys it shakes very little. Harley has an all new frame for 2009 which in itself improved the bike 100%. Gone are the days of high speed wobble and feet vibrating off the floor boards. It just does not happen anymore. The bike handles far better than anything I have ever owned. In truth, it costs far more than anything I have ever owned too. Is it worth it you ask? Twenty five thousand dollars for a motorcycle is a lot of money. But, given my age and financial condition, I figured this would be my last bike and I should splurge not a little, but a lot. So, I did it. I got every option offered, even some that I said I would never use. I did not think I would use cruise control, nor would I like the anti skid brakes. Another thing is the stereo. Why would you need a stereo on a motorcycle. Well, I can tell you that I am glad I got them all. They all add to the experience. I am glad I made my choice and I won't look back. I love it.

Gummiente

Re: Are Harleys all they are cracked up to be?

Unread post by Gummiente » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:30 pm

texaswiz wrote:I did not think I would use cruise control, nor would I like the anti skid brakes. Another thing is the stereo. Why would you need a stereo on a motorcycle. Well, I can tell you that I am glad I got them all.
I'll second that. When I bought my Road Glide (my 4th Harley) it came with the cruise and stereo. I thought the same as you, what was the point of cruise and tunes on a bike. But, man, it did not take me long to get used to them... 39,000km later and the novelty STILL hasn't worn off. :lol:

Oh, and Welcome to TMW!
'15 Road Glide