Harley Sportster XL 883

Metal_Militia
Rookie
Rookie

Harley Sportster XL 883

#1 Unread post by Metal_Militia »

is this a good bike for a beginner who wants to get a cruiser as opposed to any sport bikes? even tho sport is in the name, id still consider it more a cruiser as its a harley and they are known for cruisers

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Harley Sportster XL 883

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

Metal_Militia wrote:is this a good bike for a beginner who wants to get a cruiser as opposed to any sport bikes? even tho sport is in the name, id still consider it more a cruiser as its a harley and they are known for cruisers
Yeah, it's a fine bike. Just make sure you get a 2004 or later. Before 2004, the engines were hard-mounted and the bikes vibrated excessively.

You might also want to look at bikes from other manufacturers that are more cruiser than the Sportster. Yamaha Virago/V-Star, Honda Shadow, Suzuki Boulevard, Kawasaki Vulcan, etc.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#3 Unread post by Nalian »

I had one for my first bike and liked it. Go take a day and so some sitting on bikes!

Reaper1200
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by Reaper1200 »

I have never ridden the 883 buy I do have a 1200 and I love it. It is very forgiving, good on fuel, and easy to ride. I would suggest looking around at other bikes as well. Don't get too worried about labels get what fits you.
It's not what you ride, it's just that you ride...