Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Out on a 696 today....and an S4RS

#1 Unread post by High_Side »

Out with the old:
And in with the new:
I finally got to see the new Monster today and take it for a rip. There seems to be a big hate on for these on the Monster forums and I can't tell you how wrong they are. This thing rips compared to the old 800 above. Everything about the new bike is better than the old one and it looks far better in the flesh than in the photos. Then there is the sound: It actually sounds good with the stock exhaust, louder and deeper than the 800. And there is no catalytic converter to get rid of. It's a great bike stock, unlike a few other Ducatis of late.
I can't wait for the upcoming 1100 :mrgreen:

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

Cool High Side

Great picture by the way that really shows off the 696.

When I initially had my 696 pre-ordered I was on the monster forums all the time and they really HATE it. I don't know how they can expect the bike to evolve and still look exactly the same?

Just faster, stronger all the time? That's gonna get old after a while.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

While I liked the old one, I LOVE that new one! That thing is HOT!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

Brackstone wrote: When I initially had my 696 pre-ordered I was on the monster forums all the time and they really HATE it. I don't know how they can expect the bike to evolve and still look exactly the same?
If they never changed their bikes we would still be riding around on some pretty pathetic equipment compared to what we have today. I love Ducatis, and my wife has one identical to the one in the first picture, but change has to happen. The new bike is a great improvement. The Ducati boards are rittled with people who hated the change to the S*R format a few years ago but most of them eventually came around. There are a lot of Ducati fans who are closer to Harley types than they think they are...... :P

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

Please don't hate but as far as the looks are concerned, the old Monster spanks the new one beyond belief. And yes I saw and sat on the new one in the flesh.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Shorts »

The 696 is on my Next Bike list. I do like this one better than previous models. All the players with the Haterade I don't understand. The old Monster is nice, but I never really dug the low dragging belly. For some reason I felt it'd get high centered. Not really sure on what but, eh, never liked the look 100%.

Compared to the Shiver its got a little less hp and torque, but I'm interested in its delivery. Anyhow, I hop to get on this bike soon for a test fit.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

Shorts wrote: All the players with the Haterade I don't understand.
The look is starting to grow on me. I just always thought the old Monster was one of the best looking bikes ever made. However in terms of function, it's suposed to be helluva bike!

Let us know your impression after the test ride. :mrgreen:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Shorts »

:mrgreen: Sorry, I was a little hopped up on pain meds for teeth pain. I was channeling Jamie Fox and Malibu's Most Wanted.

Yeah, I think both models have their fans. Totally understandable. I've yet to see one in person though. My sister has though. Got to turn it on and sit on it. It was the black one. She's a Harley rider and she was pleasantly impressed with the exhaust note the Duc put out. She said it felt pretty good - but different than what she's use to. She says "All you see if the gauge cluster, then, nothing. There's the road" lol

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

Shorts wrote::mrgreen: Sorry, I was a little hopped up on pain meds for teeth pain. I was channeling Jamie Fox and Malibu's Most Wanted.

Yeah, I think both models have their fans. Totally understandable. I've yet to see one in person though. My sister has though. Got to turn it on and sit on it. It was the black one. She's a Harley rider and she was pleasantly impressed with the exhaust note the Duc put out. She said it felt pretty good - but different than what she's use to. She says "All you see if the gauge cluster, then, nothing. There's the road" lol

I sat on the 696 and it does not seem tiny like the 695. It feels more on par with the S2R1000. The seating position is basically your standard naked with a slight lean. Your sister would've really thought the Hypermotard has a strange view. You feel like you are sitting on top of the front tire like on a unicycle. It's very bizzare at first but you get used to it right away.

As far as the exhaust note goes, IMO the Duc sounds much better than a Harley......oops sorry Pandora, your box is open again. :twisted: :mrgreen:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

I think the new one is much nicer looking.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]