V-Star Silverado 650 or 1100

midlife-crisis
Rookie
Rookie

V-Star Silverado 650 or 1100

#1 Unread post by midlife-crisis »

I am almost certain I will go with one of these bikes. Any recomendations as far as which one best?

I like the idea of getting the 650 to hone my on road riding skills, but I am afraid that it will not do well on the interstate especially when I opt to allow the wife on board with me. Does a 650 have the power needed? Or would the 1100 be better?

I am 6' 2" 250lbs and have many, many miles on the dirt and maybe a few hundred on the road but with nothing over a 250cc.
Jim

DH
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Go 1100

#2 Unread post by DH »

Do the 1100.

You are a lot of weight, and with wife, your machine will need the extra grunt. It is far cheaper to buy the right bike the first time, than to buy too small, and then have to trade for a second purchase.

DH

drifter_144
Rookie
Rookie

650 vs 1100

#3 Unread post by drifter_144 »

i'm in the same dilema as midlife as far as getting which bike with a twist. i'm only 5'3" about 170lbs short inseam. untill last summer it had been almost 30 years since i rode a bike. the first one i had was 1985
1100 shadow. i found it top heavy and kinda tippy toed on it. after about 2 weeks. i was able to make a deal and got a honda 600 shadow. i sat a lot more comfortable on it both feet on ground. great bike but only 4 speed trans and since i'm about an hour from work using highway. i found the 600 a bit short of top end. not having that extra gear. dont really go on any long trips per say. any road trips are on 2 lane where speed limit is slower. but on major highway i would like a bike to be able to cruise around traffic permitting 120kph and still have power if needed.
the wife would probably go on a day trip she's about the same height and about 120lbs. but mostly it would just me riding it. the extras i'd like also on the bike would full windscreen, saddle bags, rear carrier, and floorboards. i like the yamaha due to the fact it has a shaft drive and and of all the others i've researched has the biggest fuel tank. so after all of that would the 650 be compatable to what i'm looking for as this will be probably my last bike. i'll be 60 this year so my riding days are running out. like i said if the 600 would have had 5 speed i'd probably still have it. i've sat on 650 and 1100 both are very low seat. as with the 600. i'd like to feel i have the control of the bike and not the other way around. ok so now that i've written a book here.
any comments :shooting2:

drifter_144
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by drifter_144 »

what i decided to do for this year. i got an older bike 1984 kawasaki 750 LTD. and use it to brush up on my skills. i'm also scheduled in for may 22 for a back to basics riding course. novice course.
then next year step into either one or go in between with an 900 kawasaki. i know yamaha makes a 900 now also with a low seat but i dont really care for style of it.
thanks for your reply and advice
have a safe riding season

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#5 Unread post by Social Distortion »

hey guys
i have a 650 that pulls me on the highway, but i mostly ride in the city.
for the price, the 650 is a good bike, but if you can get away w/ an 1100, it should be fine.
Weight- once you get going, you wont feel the weight...
if you do lots of highway riding, do the 1100, but as mentioned, im 220 and i go 70 on the freeway w/ no issues what so ever
you can see my bike in the classified ads, as i just got a triumph 900
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"