No votes

Total votes: 2

R@G3
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

82' Yamaha XJ550 Maxim

#1 Unread post by R@G3 »

I'm looking into getting this street bike, but I'd like some second opinions. The bike is an 82, but a good friend of mine aquired it and rebuilt it. The tank and paneling has been repainted. The chrome has been repolished, and it has new tires. The engine has been professionally stripped and rebuilt. The bike also has new wiring. It runs, sounds, and looks awesome. Horn and lights work. It only has 6024 miles on it! My friend said he'd sell the bike to me with a brand new helmet with clear and amber tinted sheilds for 1,650 dollars. Is the price worth the bike or will end up getting ripped off? Also, would this be a good bike for my first street bike?

PS: I'm not looking for a monster in power, but something that'll handle easy and I can get around with easy.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted YES -- if you can get it at a much lower price (max $1000).

The XJ550 would be a good starter bike to live with and learn on and you could ride it for years and still enjoy it.

I can understand the high asking price ($1650 USD) as it sounds like a nicely restored collectors bike (low milage, 6,000 miles). But for a new rider like yourself, this bike isn't for you at that price.

A nice used (non restored), good running condition, higher milage (20-30,000 miles) XJ550 price is around $750. This bike you won't have to worry about so much if you do drop it.

A word of caution about used helmets: Don't buy em. As they are designed for ONE (just one) drop you never know if they have been dropped. As they could fall 5' they could still look perfect and be damaged inside. If it is going to be your primary helmet, buy one at a local dealership and that way you can find one that fits well for you.

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

R@G3
Rookie
Rookie

thnx

#3 Unread post by R@G3 »

Thnx alot Mike, especially for such a quick response. I'd never buy a used helmet. The helmet is brand new, straight out of the box. The only reason I'm so straight forth for this bike is that it has such low mileage, and the engine has been professionally rebuilt and tweaked... I failed to add that in my first post. Tony, the man selling it, had the bike tweaked for full performance. I know that the price is hight, but I've come to find the reason for the high price is that he doesn't want to go in the hole with this bike. 1650 is the exact price it came to with all the work on it and new parts. Like I said before, the engine is rebuilt and basically brand new. All the fuel/air parts are new as well. Sprocets and chains, all new.

centerstand65
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Katana

Re: 82' Yamaha XJ550 Maxim

#4 Unread post by centerstand65 »

totalmotorcycle wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:43 am I voted YES -- if you can get it at a much lower price (max $1000).

The XJ550 would be a good starter bike to live with and learn on and you could ride it for years and still enjoy it.

I can understand the high asking price ($1650 USD) as it sounds like a nicely restored collectors bike (low milage, 6,000 miles). But for a new rider like yourself, this bike isn't for you at that price.

A nice used (non restored), good running condition, higher milage (20-30,000 miles) XJ550 price is around $750. This bike you won't have to worry about so much if you do drop it.

A word of caution about used helmets: Don't buy em. As they are designed for ONE (just one) drop you never know if they have been dropped. As they could fall 5' they could still look perfect and be damaged inside. If it is going to be your primary helmet, buy one at a local dealership and that way you can find one that fits well for you.

Mike.
I must disagree about used helmets. From smell to fit, used helmets are much better than new. I've found that the most comfortable helmets have about 10,000 miles of sweat under the lid. If a helmet smells new, then it's going to take a long time to break it in, and to get rid of the resins and glues. I much prefer another guy to sweat out all of the artificial chemicals that are in a helmet. It's much easier to wear a helmet that smells like another guy than one that smells like a fiberglass factory. All used helmets smell about the same, anyway, after guys have been in them for several years.

Whatever you do, don't buy a helmet that's been washed. That's what really damages EPS and the padding that goes up against your face. What you want in a used lid is something that's clean on the outside, with typical wear and tear, and on the inside, it should be sweaty. Once you get in another guy's well worn lid, it doesn't take long to get used to it. I look forward to wearing my used lids because they're comfortable and they smell totally natural.