Honda ST1300p

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Honda ST1300p

#1 Unread post by Ryethil »

I was given a special chance to get a Honda ST1300P Police Bike today. Brand new with a fleet sale price. Does anyone have experienc with this bike. To me it's just awesome though I won't know for sure until tomorrow when I get to test drive one at the training facility. Does anyone have any thoughts on the bike or the civility of it.

The only problem with it is that I would need some $20,000 of work done on extending the length of my legs. I can just touch down with with both sets of my toes. The local dealer will do the warranty maintinance.

GAK! It's not a Harley. How will I be able to show my face around town.

Last edited by Ryethil on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

[drool="heavy"]Nice bike.[/drool]
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

If I am not mistaken, but the British Police pulled their ST1300 (Paneuropean 1300) from service due to instability issues at high speed and returned to their older and mothballed ST1100's.
Always ask why.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Ryethil »

ceemes wrote:If I am not mistaken, but the British Police pulled their ST1300 (Paneuropean 1300) from service due to instability issues at high speed and returned to their older and mothballed ST1100's.
I've heard the same thing and found it to be true. it seems that when the British buit up the St1300p to full police specs, it developed a whole mess of nasty habits. It seems that the way it was designed there were few places to put all the lights and electronic equipment. Really knocked the balance of the bike all to hell. So far all the 2009 polce bikes that have been converted to Police specs haven't shown the same problems. I also know that there was a speed limiter put on all ST1300P thru 2007 (there was no 2008) and the 2009 doesn't have it. so go figure

Anyway, if it doesn't work out, the dealer has a ST1300a in ruby red that he'll let me try out. So we'll see.

:motorcycle1:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by mgdavis »

I'd be all over that ST-P. Putting your feet on the ground is overrated anyways. :laughing:
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

William
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Newest: '15 ZX-14R Ninja, plus 2 others.

Re: Honda ST1300p

#6 Unread post by William »

I know this is an old topic, but I figured I would give my thoughts.

I had an '03 ST1300 for 5 years, and now have an '08 FJR1300. The ST1300 is a great bike, but my FJR is better overall.

The ST1300 does tend to have a bit of high speed instability. There tends to be a small amount of headshake above 125. Not bad enough to cause problems, and certainly not a tankslapper, but it is evident. Especially if it's windy, or if you pass a big truck going the other way and the wind blast hits you.

Not long after owing the bike, I found a sure fire way to find out if the rear tire is low. If it headshakes at all under 125 (except for maybe a harder than normal wind blast, and then only very temporary), the rear tire is low, typically below 35 PSI. I can imagine that weighing down the rear of the bike produces a similar effect, so increasing rear tire pressure above the recommended pressure may help the situation.

And despite the instability, it should in no way be enough to cause a problem. Based on my experience, I tend to believe the cops were being oversensitive to a problem that really isn't a bad problem. And I don't understand why they would want to go back to the ST1100. The ST1300 is much improved. It makes more sense to me to try a change of tire brand, or to experiment with higher tire pressures, install a stiffer rear spring/better shock, or maybe they can do like I did and raise the forks in the clamps. There very likely was something they could have done to improve the situation, instead of going back to the ST1100.

The ST1300 is definitely more unstable at higher speeds than the FJR1300, although it isn't bad. However, the FJR1300 is more unstable under hard braking from high speeds than the ST1300. But again, it isn't bad.

I don't know if the original poster bought the ST1300P, but it shouldn't be hard to remove the police equipment to lighten the bike.
1982 Suzuki GS1100GL, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2015 Kawasaki ZX-14R Ninja.

2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 sport/4wd ATV, 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550 EPS SE utility ATV

2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd 4 door, 2008 Toyota Highlander AWD

Born, raised, and spent most of my life in Florida until I moved to Farmington, New Mexico April 2011. Yes, I'm in the wonderful Four Corners area.