Honda VT1100 2000

jmlalonde
Rookie
Rookie

Honda VT1100 2000

#1 Unread post by jmlalonde »

Does anybody out there have or has owned a Honda VT1100 Shadow Sabre. I need some advise,

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#2 Unread post by Amdonim »

Yep, I've put about 20k miles on one in about 2 years. It's an amazing bike. It's very fun to ride. For a cruiser, it has miles of cornering clearance and has a very respectable amount of power for an 1100. It's not a standard V-Twin, in that it doesn't have that off kilter lilt to it, and it definitely doesn't sound like a Harley. In fact, putting pipes on it makes it sound like dog "poo poo". What it does have, however, is an engine that's smooth at any speed, tons of roll-on, and a very unique look. The engine is bullet proof and requires very little maintenance. It's got self-adjusting valve lifters, auto-tensioning cam chain and an enclosed shaft drive that need virtually no maintenance for any reasonable lifetime. I've made several long rides, including crossing Texas in a day. It handles rides like this in a very composed manner, and leaves you wanting more the next day. This was the first bike that I would hit the reserve tank and think "Have I really been riding that long." With some bags and a better seat, it's a very respectable long range mount, but it doesn't miss out on the fun if you want to hit up the twisties. The only big drawback is that if you ride "spiritedly" like myself, it only gets about 35mpg. The shaft drive can also have a good deal of chasis jacking if you slam open the throttle in first gear on a rolling start. Other than that, and if you aren't attached to a standard sounding and feeling v-twin, it's an amazing bike you can keep forever. Picture below related, it's an '05.

poorboyspost
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Honda VT1100 2000

#3 Unread post by poorboyspost »