Kawasaki chrome plating - bad metal prep before plating

ab5gu
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Kawasaki chrome plating - bad metal prep before plating

#1 Unread post by ab5gu »

I bought a new 2009 kawasaki Vulcan 2000 with 1300 miles that is now 5 months old. The chroming on the stamped pieces sucks. The mirrors, brake fluid cover, fork covers are all popping rust through the chrome. I took it to the dealer and he agreed that it is a warranty issue. Kawasaki America shot it down. They claim it is from environmental causes, but will not define ” environmental causes” ( the planet you live on has oxygen in the atmosphere?). I was on the customer service line for an hour and explained how chrome is applied, and that on a 5 month old bike this is outrageous. They claim it is an environmental cause, even though the bike is garaged. The bad pieces are the Thailand mfg’d pieces, as all the other chrome is fine. All customer support will answer ” I don’t know, but it is environmental causes”. Crappy way to treat a customer.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

Re: Kawasaki chrome plating - bad metal prep before plating

#2 Unread post by Kingshead »

That really sucks, I really like the new Kawas. Feel like taking to them right now I bet. :boxing:

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#3 Unread post by Markg1 »

ab5gu wrote:I bought a new 2009 kawasaki Vulcan 2000 with 1300 miles that is now 5 months old. The chroming on the stamped pieces sucks. The mirrors, brake fluid cover, fork covers are all popping rust through the chrome. I took it to the dealer and he agreed that it is a warranty issue. Kawasaki America shot it down. They claim it is from environmental causes, but will not define ” environmental causes” ( the planet you live on has oxygen in the atmosphere?). I was on the customer service line for an hour and explained how chrome is applied, and that on a 5 month old bike this is outrageous. They claim it is an environmental cause, even though the bike is garaged. The bad pieces are the Thailand mfg’d pieces, as all the other chrome is fine. All customer support will answer ” I don’t know, but it is environmental causes”. Crappy way to treat a customer.
That's just horrible! Have you heard of other Kawasaki motorcycles doing the same thing?
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

#4 Unread post by spydercanopus »

When I got my first real motorcycle it was 2003. I wanted a new one because I had heard lots of talk about motorcycle engines being "disposable" (not true, squids). Because I wanted new and my budget was limited, I was forced to buy a Kawasaki 500R as it was the cheapest "sportbike" there was.

That thing was the rattliest, not wanting to stay running POS I ever rode since. I'll never buy another Cow. I saw where they're putting full fairings on the 250R and 500R, now. They sure look cool, but they're straight up junk in no time.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

Kawasaki is supposed to be one of the worst when it comes to warranty claims. When I bought my KLX250S, the throttle cable was routed incorrectly from the factory and the metal part of it scraped against the back of the front fender gouging it. I took it to the dealer to make an warranty claim to get the fender replaced. The dealer agreed and submitted the claim which Kawasaki promptly rejected. Being that it was a dirtbike I didn't really care that much as I knew it was going to get banged up anyway when I take it off-road. Had it been a pure streetbike, I would have been pissed. Anyways, I got a call from the dealer about a week later saying he is going to give me a brand new fender. He said he was so disgusted with Kawasaki constantly rejecting legitimate warranty claims. He said had it been Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda, they would have covered it in a flash. He said the fender only costs the dealer $20 so as long as I put it on myself he would give it to me at his expense. I thought that was very nice of him. I knew he was telling the truth because he didn't ask for the old fender back to submit to Kawasaki for warranty reimbursement.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

In March 2006 I bought "TOR" (Triumph Off Road) exhaust pipes for my Bonneville. (They look like classic peashooters, but are more free-flowing, louder, etc.) Chrome started to crack, bubble, and flake off only on the right-side pipe in 2008. Last November, when at the dealer for a clutch rebuild, I told them to order and install a new TOR pipe. Just for the heck of it, the service manager put it through as a warranty claim - 4 1/2 years after installation - and darned if Triumph didn't honor it!! :shock: Not only did they honor the claim, they replaced both pipes so I'd have a matching set. Needless to say, I'm impressed.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

jstark47 wrote:In March 2006 I bought "TOR" (Triumph Off Road) exhaust pipes for my Bonneville. (They look like classic peashooters, but are more free-flowing, louder, etc.) Chrome started to crack, bubble, and flake off only on the right-side pipe in 2008. Last November, when at the dealer for a clutch rebuild, I told them to order and install a new TOR pipe. Just for the heck of it, the service manager put it through as a warranty claim - 4 1/2 years after installation - and darned if Triumph didn't honor it!! :shock: Not only did they honor the claim, they replaced both pipes so I'd have a matching set. Needless to say, I'm impressed.
That's quite impressive customer service on both the dealer and Triumph. I assume this must've been a fairly common problem for the dealer to submit a claim and for Triumph to cover it. Still impressive....

Ducati apparently replaced the cracked frame on the 900SS for over 10 years after the warranty was over. I suppose since this was a common problem and a potential safety issue, they were probably scared. Apparently the frame was either good or bad and the bad ones cracked fairly early on.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

HYPERR wrote:That's quite impressive customer service on both the dealer and Triumph. I assume this must've been a fairly common problem for the dealer to submit a claim and for Triumph to cover it. Still impressive....

Ducati apparently replaced the cracked frame on the 900SS for over 10 years after the warranty was over. I suppose since this was a common problem and a potential safety issue, they were probably scared. Apparently the frame was either good or bad and the bad ones cracked fairly early on.
That was a recall. Recalls are required to be done no matter when the warranty expires. Plus as a safety issue the DOT requires them to do it because they recognize officially it's an issue, even if they don't officially issue a recall on it.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

Wrider wrote:
HYPERR wrote:That's quite impressive customer service on both the dealer and Triumph. I assume this must've been a fairly common problem for the dealer to submit a claim and for Triumph to cover it. Still impressive....

That was a recall. Recalls are required to be done no matter when the warranty expires. Plus as a safety issue the DOT requires them to do it because they recognize officially it's an issue, even if they don't officially issue a recall on it.
It wasn't a recall. Also near the end, they paid for the frame but you had to pay for the labor. Now they are not doing anything at all, you are on your own. However, these are the Caviga era 900SSs, made from '91 to '98. If it has not cracked by now, in all likelihood, it never will.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS