Honda or Harley?

xdixiecratx
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

radiator

#141 Unread post by xdixiecratx »

you said water is probably something else to worry about on a honda 1100, yeayour right start worrying somewhere between 100,000-200,000 miles, untill then
ENJOY

jimharvey1
Rookie
Rookie

2008 Dyna-Wide Glide

#142 Unread post by jimharvey1 »

For all you folks that are even remotely thinking about buying a Harley and are looking for a pretty sweet deal, go to your local Harley dealer and ponder over the 2008 (105th Anniversary Edition) Dyna Wide Glide. It is the last year that the Wide Glide will be made and there are a few left to be had new on the showroom floor. The dealers are willing to talk turkey with the new 09s hitting the floor. The Copper/Black color scheme looks nice as does the copper inlay on the saddle. The 96CI fuel injected V-Twin has some awesome torque and when paired with the 6-speed transmission, it is one sweet ride. You could wait for a year or two and probably let the initial owner take the depreciation hit but Wide Glides are not that easy to find used anyway and the 105th anniversary edition also being the last of the model line...probably going to hold it's value for awhile.

Sportsters are nice bikes for smaller framed guys (or gals) but I really didn't care for the riding position...plus I am FAR from "small framed". The seat seemed to be a bit too high for my liking. They've changed a lot since I owned my "Sporty" but I put thousands of fun miles on mine without a lick of problems. (And that was a 1980 XLH back in the days when Harley was owned by AMF).

I moved from the Sporty to a 1981 Superglide FXE. That was the poor-man's cruiser. Had the big 80-inch (shovelhead) on it and with a few minor mods, it became a fire-breathing beast!

Got out of biking for a few (almost 20) years after an unfavorable incident with a 4-wheeler but have recently purchased another bike...yup, you guessed it...another Harley. A 2007 Superglide Custom (FXDC). Just something about owning a Hog...once you own one, nothing else seems the same.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#143 Unread post by follow »

If your going for Harley get the 1200 for your money you will have more power than the 883,and resale will hold better. I use to have the 883 love the bike it handled great used it on LDR's, Rally's it never let me down I put almost 50K on it in less than 2 years but had to trade it in for a little bigger bike on account of what kind of riding I do. I regret not having it for around town. Now I do have a Honda also it is a ST1300 I have a harder time on the get go on the account that I am short however on the road it is an awesome bike and well worth every $. Good luck.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

slacker1
Rookie
Rookie

#144 Unread post by slacker1 »

I believe I'm chiming in too late and think the original poster has already made his selection but if not heres my nickel's worth. Its a simple solution, RIDE BOTH BIKES!!! If your holdback is the liquid cooled vs air cooled consider this. When you bought your car did you get a pre 1979 VW Beetle? If not then you didn't use this same point when getting your 4 wheeled mode of transportation. Why use it to select a 2 wheeler. Honda has been using liquid cooled engines for many many years so I think they have perfected it. I have two Honda bikes and my last concern is the liquid cooled engines. My knowledge on the Sportster is limited to having a good friend that owns one. I can tell you this. I own 3 japanese bikes and his Sporty has been in the shop getting repairs more than all 3 of my bikes combined. He bought the bike off the showroom floor and has near 10,000 miles on it now, 2001 model. I've put 10,000 on one of my bikes this year alone! His biggest problem was three months after he bought it the rear wheel seized up. Turns out the wheel bearings were not greased at the factory. HD did replace the whole wheel assemble with no hassles. I have nothing against HD, maybe own one myself one day, who knows. Just know that at this time and point in my life I chose Honda/Kaw and all three have served my needs well.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#145 Unread post by follow »

JimHarvey, your right about the Harley this is why I have Harley and Honda but we may be adding to the stable we are thinking about a couple of KLR's for on/off roading so what's your input? anybody's input?
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#146 Unread post by Gummiente »

Jeez, this thread just refuses to die :dots:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jimharvey1
Rookie
Rookie

#147 Unread post by jimharvey1 »

Gummiente wrote:Jeez, this thread just refuses to die.
Yeah...it's the typical Ford vs. Chevy dilemma for bikes. Different folks have different opinions, substantiated or not. You know what they say about opinions... :)

kingpinman
Rookie
Rookie

#148 Unread post by kingpinman »

To the original poster......... don't buy a 750 or 1100/1200 cc bike. You'll always be wishing you'd bought something bigger. Go with the Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda or Victory. Look at the 1300 cc bikes or bigger, cuz you'll wish, on down the line, that you had bought a bigger bike.

I bought a 1100 Aero, and after two weeks, wished I'd looked at more bike. After a year, finally bought the Victory Kingpin. Love the bike. Go for bigger...... it's always better!!!

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#149 Unread post by Gummiente »

kingpinman wrote:To the original poster......... don't buy a 750 or 1100/1200 cc bike. You'll always be wishing you'd bought something bigger. Go with the Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda or Victory.
Yo, kingy, you're way too late - check out his sig line, he bought a 1200 Sportster back in August '05.

This is an old thread, but thanks for keeping it alive. :roll:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

kingpinman
Rookie
Rookie

#150 Unread post by kingpinman »

Always a day late and dollar short............