Devil21
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha special 400

should i buy or no

#1 Unread post by Devil21 »

I have a 1981 Yamaha special 400 i'm buying it from someone and they want $1,200 for a used, old, and it needs work. Is that a good price?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: should i buy or no

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Josiah, and welcome to the forum. Kelly Blue Book for Motorcycles list an 81 Yamaha XS400 Special at $530 wholesale and $910 retail, in the Kansas City Metro area. That is for a pristine, low mileage, stock (all the parts are there) example. This time of year I might give $500 for a unit that needs work, if it was all there. Good luck.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

Re: should i buy or no

#3 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

You might want to do some research to find out what sort of problems that model is known for and how easy (or difficult) it is to get parts, too.

$1200 is WAY too much for a 30 year old bike that needs work. The seller might be trying to recoup losses from trying, and failing, to fix the bike. And the things that are wrong may be the sorts of things that will never be right. I made that mistake, once.
Ooooooh. Shiny!