Honda CTX1300c VS Harley Softail Standard

msvaughan
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Honda CTX1300c VS Harley Softail Standard

#1 Unread post by msvaughan »

I am looking for my first bike and have been shopping Harley's for a while now. When talking to my friend who owns a Honda Shadow 750, he stated he would not buy a Harley, he can out run a 883 sportster and keep up with several of the 1200's he rides with in his town. He mentioned up front price and cost of maintenance over time. I went and looked yesterday at the Honda CTX1300C and was very impressed with the bike and of course the cost, I got them down to $7,800 plus taxes. (Harley $14,300)

Without trying to spark a huge fight or debate about Harley vs. Honda, etc. Can someone help me out with some opinions or reviews or experience preferably?

Honda CTX1300c VS. Harley Davidson Softail Standard. Thanks in Advance.

Mike

Aggroton
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by Aggroton »

the better question is which do you like better?

and this probaly will start a fight.

but like the harley better. i probaly always will.
thats a sweet bike.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Honda CTX1300c VS Harley Softail Standard

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

msvaughan wrote:Without trying to spark a huge fight or debate about Harley vs. Honda, etc. Can someone help me out with some opinions or reviews or experience preferably?

Honda CTX1300c VS. Harley Davidson Softail Standard. Thanks in Advance.
I think we can manage to pull off at least one Harley vs. Japanese thread without a fight. :)

For starters, it's a VTX, not a CTX. And anyone here will tell you which one I'd recommend over and over. If it were me (right there's the qualifying statement) I'd choose the VTX1300C. I like the looks, the price, and the fit and finish much better. Harley may have a good grasp on their reliability these days, but you get a whole lot more bike for your money buying from Honda.

Of course, looks are subjective and very personal...and the Softail is not a bad looking bike at all. But just think of what you can do to the Honda with the extra money left over from not buying the Harley.

Last edited by ZooTech on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by TechTMW »

Online advice for which bike to buy is anecdotal at best. You'd be much better off drawing up a comparison chart between the 2 models and going from there - also you should go to a dealership and get some seat time in to see which fits you better.

- why do you want such a new big bike to start out on? Why not buy your friend's 750, (and let him move up to the 1300) and get a feel for what motorcycling is all about? A 650lb bike pushing 74 horses and 90 ft-lb isn't really new rider material. I'm sure you are a safe and responsible driver, but motorcycling entails a whole nother set of skills that take about a good 6 months to a year of riding to really develop.

Isn't your friend satisfied with his 750? Why did he choose that bike over a bigger one? Something to consider anyway :)
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

msvaughan
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by msvaughan »

I have wondered about starting out with a smaller bike, but everyone I have talked to recently has stated (Not just sales guys either) that I could start with this size and get used to it and be comfortable. Rather than start smaller, then in 6 months wish I had bought bigger. My friend is wanting to move from his 750 up to the VTX1800 when he gets back from Iraq.

Yes I think I am responsible, I will be 35 next month, so I am not a young guy with speed on my brain and wanting to just go blasting down the street at 100mph. I want style, comfort and the option of adding some personal touch to a bike when I am ready.

I can afford the Harley, but for 6k more, I am having a hard time justifying the Harley, especially when many people are telling me the Honda has more power stock anyway.

I like them both, I really do. Right now for 6k less, I am leaning towards the Honda learning to ride it.

Since I am still learning this too, how about:
1.) The shaft drive of Honda VS the belt drive of Harley? Should that be a consideration?
2.) liquid cooled VS Air cooled?
3.) Honda comes Carbed, Harley had the option of EFI or Carb, should that be a consideration?

And again, I appreciate all you taking time to respond to me.

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by cb360 »

Have you ever rode a motorcycle?
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

msvaughan
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by msvaughan »

Yes i have, but honestly it has been a number of years ago. I am looking into taking the riders courses here in Georgia in September, before I buy too.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#8 Unread post by ZooTech »

msvaughan wrote: 1.) The shaft drive of Honda VS the belt drive of Harley? Should that be a consideration?
Not really. The shaft is lower maintenance, but the belt is pretty darn low maintenance, too. The belt is also smoother, though a shaft is not exactly harsh.
msvaughan wrote: 2.) liquid cooled VS Air cooled?
Not an issue, either. The water-cooled bikes benefit from more consistent engine temperatures while the air-cooled bikes benefit from less weight and fewer parts.
msvaughan wrote: 3.) Honda comes Carbed, Harley had the option of EFI or Carb, should that be a consideration?
I prefer EFI myself, but carbs should not make or break the deal, either. Both a carb and an EFI setup will have to be tweaked, at a cost, if pipes or an intake is added later, so it's really not a big deal what you choose.

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by cb360 »

msvaughan wrote:Yes i have, but honestly it has been a number of years ago. I am looking into taking the riders courses here in Georgia in September, before I buy too.
Great idea. The course is actually pretty fun and it'll help you keep a handle on that fancy new bike :wink:
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

Itzamna
Legendary
Legendary

#10 Unread post by Itzamna »

Personally, I would go for the Honda, but I am a cheap man. :lol: I have no personal experience with the belt or shaft drive, but have known some friends with Harley's to be stranded on the road due to a broken belt, something you probably will never have to worry about with the shaft drive.

Like ZooTech said, carbs vs. EFI shouldn't really be the buying point. I've had both and sincerely like both of them. The EFI is definitely more responsive, but I couldn't imagine it being that noticeable on cruisers.
Brian

'03 Suzuki SV1000