blodwyn pig
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: between bikes

1998 BMW R1100RT vs 1999 Kawasaki Concours

#1 Unread post by blodwyn pig »

Could use some help. I'm looking at buying another bike, and need help deciding between these 2. Asking price is the same ($3000). The Beemer has 72,000mi and the Kawasaki only has 33,000mi. Any experienced input would be appreciated.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: 1998 BMW R1100RT vs 1999 Kawasaki Concours

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

It is really hard to find fault with the Kawasaki, I've owned three.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Terry123
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: kawsaki ZX6r 2010

#3 Unread post by Terry123 »

I believe that dollar-for-dollar, the Kawasaki Concours, bar none, is the very best motorcycle buy in the world. For $8,000 you get a bike that probably has way more power and handling ability than any of us are capable of dealing with unless our name happens to be Kenny Roberts or Max Biaggi. It has a storm-buster fairing, enormous luggage capacity, and as much or more comfort as many bikes costing thousands of dollars more. Add to that the fact that it is a bike as reliable and trustworthy as anything on two wheels, and you have something that cannot be beaten. At least it can't be beaten when looking at it as value for money and bang for buck.

On the other hand, technically the BMW shows how dated the Concours has become. We RT-ers whine among ourselves about Motronic 2.2, clunkiness, and surging, but despite all that, it cannot be denied that the R1100RT is and has been for over six years on the very cutting edge of modern production motorcycle technology. It is a nearly perfect blend of form and function, and if money is no object or of only moderate concern, my old friend, the Kawasaki Concours, even as good as it is, cannot come close to the BMW.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

I have to concour with John, my Concours was a great bike, fast, nimble, comfortable and ran all day. The only down side to it, was it hated slow stop and go traffic and you had to keep an eye on its temperature gauge when stuck in it.......but get it on the open highway, and it would cruise rock steady at 160 KPH (100 MPH) all day long.
Always ask why.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#5 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

My wife considered a Concours...her objections were no EFI (and 4 carbs to sync, ugh) and the fact that it is a HEAVY bike.