Shopping Bikes!!!

Diamond
Rookie
Rookie

Shopping Bikes!!!

#1 Unread post by Diamond »

:) Hi! I am a 5'9" 160lb female who is looking to start riding again after a six year absence. I used to ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic and a 900 Eliminator. I had an accident on the cruiser in 1999 but I think I am finally readdy to get back on the horse again. Initially I am thinking of only using the bike for transportation back and forth to work to ease myself back into the saddle. I am looking at getting a cruiser in the 750-900cc range. I am looking at the Yamaha V Star, the Kawasaki 800 & 900 Classics and the Suzuki c50T. Does anyone have any comments on these bikes in terms of reliabilty, value, power and fun?

-Curly-
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by -Curly- »

Since the VStar is only bike I have rode, I would pick the VStar!
2006 Yamaha VStar Custom
Green Knights Motorcycle Club
"Freedom Through Service"

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by brbolin »

If it's just going to be you riding, and it's just to/from work, I'd seriously look into the V-Star (Custom 650). I was on the fence between that and the Suzuki M50.
I ended up going with the M50, due to the fact I want to do some 2-Up riding (not saying the V-Star can't do it...just that I heard it can get a little dogged when doing it) with my wife on long trips.
The M50 is about 75 lbs. heavier than the V-Star.
There were subtle stylings that made me want the M50 more than the V-Star, too; but personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the Star.
I've heard nothing but good things about them.
The M50, I can personally say, is an AWESOME bike! It's my very first bike, just started riding (took the MSF class in September). I've had the bike for a couple of weeks, but only have about 450 miles on it. Still yet, though...great feel, great control, great looks. I'm a happy customer!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

Moto Guzzi

#4 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Check out the Moto Guzzi's if you have the cash. My brother-in-law just picked up a California Stone Touring. Nice bike. 1000cc range, light, good ground clearance but still only has a 30" seat height. I'm 5'8" and, could get the balls of my feet down but, not quite flat foot it. There's also the Guzzi Nevada. It's a 750 and, again, light with good ground clearance and just a touch shorter seat. According to the website, it's 744cc, 46hp, 30" seat, 7.5" ground clearance.

If I had the money, I'd buy the Nevada as my first bike (As it stands, I'll probably get a Suzuki GZ 250... Hard to pass up that 82 mpg for a nice little commuter bike to get me back and forth to work ... lol).

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

Re: Moto Guzzi

#5 Unread post by sapaul »

Scoutmedic wrote:Check out the Moto Guzzi's if you have the cash. My brother-in-law just picked up a California Stone Touring. Nice bike. 1000cc range, light, good ground clearance but still only has a 30" seat height. I'm 5'8" and, could get the balls of my feet down but, not quite flat foot it. There's also the Guzzi Nevada. It's a 750 and, again, light with good ground clearance and just a touch shorter seat. According to the website, it's 744cc, 46hp, 30" seat, 7.5" ground clearance.

If I had the money, I'd buy the Nevada as my first bike (As it stands, I'll probably get a Suzuki GZ 250... Hard to pass up that 82 mpg for a nice little commuter bike to get me back and forth to work ... lol).
I am going to back this up, in SA where I am we do not have as big a cruiser culture as the states. We see a lot of Guzzi's and they have a good reputation and I had the SP 1000 tourer for a while and was very pleased with it. Never let me down and handled much better than it looked. The new ones look really good.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R