2005 Honda Rebel

Spiff
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by Spiff »

Thanks, Scott58!

Also, thanks for posting the link to the review of the 250cc bikes.

I'm a rider who sold his first (and only) bike 20 years ago. I'm now wanting to re-join the ranks of riders, and will buy a new bike later this summer. (There will be no prize for the first person to shout out "mid-life crisis!")

I appreciate all the info in this thread, and I've narrowed my choice to the Honda Rebel or the Yamaha Virago.

I'll be able to ride the Honda when I take my motorcycle safety course next month, but the Virago isn't available to ride there.

So, I'm headed to a Yamaha dealer after work tonight to at least sit on a Virago, just to see how it fits me.

You see, I'm just a fraction under six feet tall, and I need to know how my frame will ride on these 250s. The review you linked to said the Yamaha Virago handled taller riders better than the Honda Rebel did.

If I recall, Scott, you said you were 5'7", and you said the Honda fit you fine. I'll be wondering if my extra height will make the Honda too small for me.

Thanks again!

Spiff

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#22 Unread post by Scott58 »

Your bigger concern will be your inseam. Mine is 32". As I understand it the virago is a bit faster then the rebel also. Although i have to disagree with the speeds specified in the article and what some other riders have said at some of the rebel forums. The 05 rebels are a bit faster then past models and other 05 riders agree. Even so the virago is still a bit faster. I've riden a few other 250's and they are all faster then the rebel (the ninga is great for speed), but have yet to try out a virago. What ever you get your going to enjoy the economy and of course the freedom that only 2 wheels can offer. Let me know what you do. it's great to ride.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#23 Unread post by keysman »

I elect this thread as a good read for any beginners.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#24 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I rode a Rebel and a Virago, personally, I like my Alphasport better (that's why I bought it after all ;) ). I am 6'0, I was very very cramped on the rebel. The Virago wasn't bad, but the Alpha has 3.8 gallon fuel tank compared to the 2.5 gallon Virago... and I found the Alpha for a lot cheaper.

The rebel I tried was an 03, and it had a hard time with my weight too. I really wasnt able to get it over 70mph. Honestly Scott, Im surpised you fit well for longer trips on the Rebel with a 32" inseam. Mine is about that, and my knees are a great deal above the gas tank when my feet were on the pegs.

If I was to choose btwn the rebel and the virago, I would go with the virago. The main advantage I see with the rebel is the fuel economy. Although, my alpha gets 70mpg if I drive nicer than I normally do :) Last fillup was 60mpg, lot of quick accelerating in there. Rebel has been around along time too, so you can probably find all sorts of things used and cheap (accessories, parts, etc).

Go sit on them...for an extended period of time. Also, check out the Suzuki GZ250, it is also a good bike.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#25 Unread post by Scott58 »

The Alphasport is a nice looking machine. I made the choice of the Rebel mainly based on the fact it had been around for a long time with a good quality record ( I hate to wrench much anymore) and fuel economy (gas is getting outragious). I wasn't new to a motorcycle, but it had been a long time so I had a good idea of the specs I wanted. Basically a mellow workhorse that was comfortable and had very light weight. At 140lbs light low cc bikes like me so alot of power wasn't really an issue. What surprised me with the Rebel was that it was alot better then i expected. Very nice feel to it and my legs are dead even with the tank and it's like sitting in a chair. Even 2-up we cruise at 65mph and it doesn't feel like it's sweating it at all. The only thing other then tank size I'd want different on this bike is a 6 gear over the 5 that it is. It's so torquey you just feel like you could shift one more time. There are alot of choices out there in all different sizes and a person has to decide what it is they really expect from their bike before they lay out alot of cash. I hope this thread helps those who are considering a Rebel to make a more informed choice. There are certainly better choices out there for specific purposes or more power and speed, but for economy and dependability most have to get inline behind it.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Spiff
Veteran
Veteran

#26 Unread post by Spiff »

Thanks, DivideOverflow, for the info. According to the motorcycle safety course Web site, I'll also be able to ride the Suzuki GZ250 during the riding portion of the course.

What I've discovered over the past week, is that motorcycle dealers don't want to sell Viragos and Rebels -- too little markup and hence too little profit.

Both the Honda dealership I went to last Friday, and the Yamaha dealership I went to last night did not have any of these 250s on the showroom floor -- or anywhere in the building.

So I didn't get to sit on a Virago last night after work. I guess I'll have to wait until mid-June, when I take my safety course, to check out these bikes.

I know these 250s are supposed to be easily bought and sold used, but the market where I live seems not to follow this general rule at the moment. :(

BTW, the motorcycle safety course Web site says they will have the "Yamaha Route 66 250" avaiable to ride. Is this an old name for the Virago?

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#27 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

The route 66 was made a while ago... 1988 to 90(maybe)? I wouldnt compare it to a newer virago 250, just because I have no idea if they are similar... and 88-90 is a fairly old bike, so you can bet that it has been "used" quite thoroughly at the MSF.

That is too bad that you cant find a dealer that sells them, the dealer around me is actually very helpful and good with new rider advice. They sell a lot of rebels and viragos, knowing that people will come back to buy their big brothers later.

If you really cant find anything your like, you might want to try a 500cc cruiser (like a Kawasaki Vulcan, or the Suzuki S40). They are a little heavier than the 250's to start, but they dont have so much power that you wouldnt be able to learn on one. I have not driven the Vulcan, but I got to test drive my friend's S40, and it was very easy to handle... The single cylinder Suzuki cruisers provide nice torquey throttle, but are definitely forgiving on the throttle response... You shouldnt be able to throw yourself from the bike, like on a sportbike.

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#28 Unread post by rnr262 »

I bought a V Star 650 for my first bike after being convinced that I would outgrow the Rebel way too fast (and I couldn't find a used one either). In a surprise move, I was also given a brand new Candy Orange Rebel a few days later. (great Dad) I took the MSF course last weekend and have really enjoyed the Rebel the past few days. It's easy to ride, nimble, and seems to have enough power for a newbie like me. Right now I can't imagine giving this bike up, especially knowing I have the V-Star for longer trips, or times when I might want to ride a bigger bike.

And just so I don't feel guilty, I've taken the V-Star out once also and thought it was a great bike too. (but this thread is about the Rebel)

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#29 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

ooo, I really like the candy orange on the Rebel. Looks real sharp. I think the orange actually makes the bike look bigger for some reason. The black paint adds no volume to the look, and is probably what makes it look even smaller than it is.

Not to detract from the thread, but what do you think of your V-star?? I was seriously looking at those, but wanted to go cheaper for my first bike...less than half the cost actually, I love a good deal. Im already planning ahead for more bikes to add to my collection..haha.

The V-Star 650 and the Honda Shadow Spirit 750 are two bikes I have been eyeing very closely. Although it will be at least a year before I look for another bike, there's no harm in looking, and persuading friends to buy them, and convince them to let me ride them.

Spiff
Veteran
Veteran

#30 Unread post by Spiff »

DivideOverflow wrote:The single cylinder Suzuki cruisers provide nice torquey throttle, but are definitely forgiving on the throttle response... You shouldnt be able to throw yourself from the bike, like on a sportbike.
Believe me, DivideOverflow, I've read the thread about how 600cc sport bikes are not beginner bikes. Yikes!

I've sat on both the single cylinder Suzuki S40 and its bigger brother the V-twin S50 (at the same Yamaha dealer that didn't have any Viragos in the building).

Both look like very good options if I find that the 250s that I ride in my safety course are too small for my frame.

Both of the Suzukis are very light for cruisers, just 352 lbs. (S40) and 443 lbs. (S50). So, I think I'll give 'em both a test ride after finishing my safety course. Unless, of course, I fall in love with the Rebel.

Yes, I'm concerned about a forgiving throttle ... and will be mindful of that when I'm test riding all of these bikes.

Thanks, everyone, for contributing to this thread. I hope I'm not hijacking it too much...

Spiff
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. -- H.L. Mencken