Hyosung GT250R Comet Review

Bored
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Re: Hyosung GT250R Comet Review

#21 Unread post by Bored »

Hyosung was contracted to make engines for Suzuki for years. They have sold millions of bikes everywhere else in the world. They are priced lower because they are trying to break into the American market. In the case of the 250s, I would gladly take a Hyosung over the little ninja (which hasn't been updated since its conception, for the most part).

I've posted all of this info in various places several times... do a search.
You stated YOU posted all this info, I am sure you are knowlegeable in the in both bikes, however I am looking for actual facts, I did do more than one search, and while I was able to find lots of info on Hyosung, I found little to nothing on their bikes. You say that they have supplied bikes to Suzuki for years, though I can't find that from any source aside from this forum. One person (you) state that they have supplied the bikes to suzuki, and the other guy saying that the desiner of the hyosung holds the patent on the SV? I emailed Suzuki about it and will paitiently await their reply. If you have an actual source for this info please post a link to it, I never claimed to be an expert at searching things out on the net or a motorcycle expert. I just find it hard to believe that a company with as much experience and money as Suzuki would need any help at all from a Korean manufacturer such as Hyosung. If this is all true then maybe LIFAN really is a Honda supplier like all the ebay auctions claimed...
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car!

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#22 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

"Hyosung Motors & Machinery Inc. was established as a motorcycle producer in 1978. In 1979 it was technically tied-up with the Suzuki Motor Corp of Japan. Since then Hyosung Motors & Machinery Inc had pushed ahead with the manufacturing of high quality motorcycles and their parts.

Automotive parts and components are also included in company's specialization. Equipped with production capacity of Hyosung Motors & Machinery is 200,000 motorcycles a year. The company supplies both domestic and overseas markets. Hyosung Motors & Machinery Inc. took over nearly 40 percent of the domestic market and became the largest motorcycles exporter.

Hyosung Motors & Machinery Inc exports various models of motorcycles to more than 60 countries including China, United States, Germany, Brazil, Canada and Australia.

In 1990 Hyosung Motors & Machinery Inc assisted the Motorcycle Production Division of Daesung Corporation that started producing high-quality motorcycles with technological assistance from. The actual production capacity of this division was 65,000 units each year.
"
http://www.the-moto.com/moto/hyosung.shtml

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/Company/information.asp

And I said they had a contract to build engines for Suzuki, not bikes. I have no idea about anyone at hyosung having a patent for the SV... I've never read that. I thought they just ripped off the basic design of their motors and changed them enough to be their own... In which case, they are still good motors. Suzuki contracted them to build motors because labor in South Korea was cheap at the time.

LIFAN uses engines based on the design on the 1950's honda engines. The patent ran out on those, and the plans to build them became commercially available. They have been using those old-tech 200cc honda motors for decades in China.

Believe what you want. Everything I've said is true and from reliable sources (either people who work for hyosung directly, or they are from reviews of their bikes). There was a lot of discussion on the alternativecruiser forums a year or two back, and the korider site (for korean bikes).
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

Bored
Veteran
Veteran

#23 Unread post by Bored »

Now after a little research, I have found that yes they had a dealing with suzuki, not to build for suzuki, but to use a suzuki design for small cc motors on scooters for the Korean market. They have since the late 1970's made small parts for various Asian motorcycle companys.
I also dug through several piles of print to find the recnet review on the "Korean invasion" I think the April 2007 issue of Motor Cyclist has been the most legit source found so far. They did a comparison on two of Hyosungs bikes. One was the Avitar (3/4 scale VRod) the other was the Comet GT650R. Not comparing them against one particular bike per se, but overall, The conclusion... Pretty much stick with the original. For $500.00 less the SV out performs it in all areas. It is a good idea but fit and finish is lacking, and it may look like the original but it sure dosen't feel like it. They also mentioned that the Hyosung was uncomfortable for a 650, they said it was just to small and the turning radius was bad. I also read that the 250's are only great if you never rode before, but if you did, you will be disapointed. I honestly will not be purchasing either of the 250's or the 650's for that matter, I had an SV650 and though it had a million fine points, I have moved on and up. I would highly recomend the suzuki as it was a great "All around bike" It only lacked in top speed, which was actually more than the average person needs anyway! I only commented on the Hyosung because I really don't want people to jump in blindly and realize they made a mistake when the bike isn't as fun as they hoped.
If anyone is considering the Hyosung, please take a minute to get the April 2007 issue of the above mentioned magazine, they don't say it is a waste and to steer clear of it, but they review it as a magazine should and they also have alot more experience in this field than me or quite alot of people do. One important thing to consider with the 250's is, Kawasaki's hold their value well and Hyosungs lose roughly 50% of theirs in the first year.
Also consider the future of the Korean company, 10 years ago Hyundai and Kia were garbage, they are now devoting millions to R&D and Quality Control, Fit and finish is now stellar as are their sales! My advice is Steer clear for now and save your money and buy the originals, they are tried and true proven performers and just about everyone here will attest to that.
I will post any replies I receive from Suzuki and now Hyosung if and when I receive them.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car!

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#24 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

The hyosung building suzuki engines thing was a reply directly from a Hyosung rep, so maybe he didn't know... but that is what people were told.

And yes, the Suzuki SV650 stock is a tad better than the GT650R, the SV has a smoother gearbox is the main complaint I have heard. However, the comfort thing is pretty subjective. It is a little smaller, both in length and in width. They are also pretty easy to modify to make faster. A lot of track riders I've talked to are getting the GT650Rs instead of the SV650s bikes for their local 650 twin track circuits..
The GT650R is $5,899 MSRP (I've never heard of anyone paying MSRP), and the SV650S is $6,499.

Oh, and most sport bike turning radiuses are bad. Did they compare it to the SV650 or the SV650s? It has to do with the steering geometry suited for sport riding. I still got the GT650R to U-turn in a 2-lane area when I tried one.

Check out a couple more reviews, go to Hyosung motors australia, they link to a bunch of them. (The bikes have been around in AU a lot longer than over here). A lot of people like them just as well, or better than the SV, depending on the person and what the riding purpose is.

As for the GT250R, I don't know how you can say stick to the "original"! The ninja 250 isn't even close to the same riding experience! The GT250R is more like riding a 650 with a smaller motor.

And any of those sportbike magazines say that only a new rider will like a 250... Being dissapointed about a bike being a 250 is extremely subjective. If you know WHAT you are getting, and have a reason for wanting it, I don't see the issue. The same is said about the ninja 250... "You'll get tired of it!", "It's a beginner bike!", etc... Some people do get tired of it, others prefer a 250.

The thread was about the GT250R, then someone posted about how ninja250s are oh so much better, so I replied. My statements still stand. The GT250R is physically bigger, doesn't have as much suspension dive and wallow as the ninja 250 does for heavier riders, it reaches the same top speed (as was proved in youtube videos by owners of the bikes), does a good job at the track (which was also posted in videos), is reliable (as stated by hyosung owners, with me previously being one of them), and it only costs a little more than a ninja 250.

I don't know what you crusade against Hyosung is all about. You have never ridden any of these bikes. I have. I've also been aboard an SV650 and I've ridden my friend's ninja250 several times. How can you possibly comment on if the bikes are as fun as people hope?
I found the GT650R and the Suzuki SV650 extremely similiar, except I liked the Hyosung motor better, and the Suzuki transmission a little better (smoother shifts). Both were just about as fun to ride. If I was going for a middleweight twin, I'd honestly get neither. Both have bargain bin suspension. I'd spend the extra money on a Ducati SS 800 before throwing down cash on either one.

However, the 250 field is a different story. As I've stated, for someone around 6'0 tall and over 160 lbs (me being 230lbs), the ninja wallows, bottoms out, and is generally skiddish in corners (even at the speed limit in some areas). If I weighed 120lbs, it would be fine, but I don't. Also, the engine is a screamer.. it vibes and yells as you keep it up in the powerband. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but in contrast, the GT250R is smooth as silk all the way up to redline. It has a frame that I don't have to fold myself in half to ride, and the suspension at least doesn't do a nosedive every time I use the front brake.

How is the ninja 250 more fun in this case? If someone is looking for a quick, light, fuel efficient 250cc bike to thrash around town, or take in a 4-stroke 250cc race class (and can't afford the expensive euro bikes), this is the only choice. It is a fun choice, at that.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

AnthonyResto
Rookie
Rookie

#25 Unread post by AnthonyResto »

I own a Hyosung GT 250 and I would suggest you buy a different bike. The frame is not the same as the 650, may be the same size because you can swap body parts, but its not the “same frame”. The Hyosung is a cheep slapped together POS that the Hyosung Company does not stand behind. I made the biggest mistake when I purchased this bike and I will never deal with this company again. They do not stand behind there bikes or there warrantee. Save your self the headache stick to companies that care about there customers. Suzuki, Honda and Kawi.... I would gladly return my bike and pay $1000 more for a Suzuki.

Issues
Brakes, missing pad, Rotor and caliper damage and dealer will not fix
Hyosung will not respond to calls or emails about dealer issues
Cracking in the rear tire, tire rot on a new bike… there is no way there tires are equal to Kawasaki’s
Mirrors move while ridding, Yeah I tightened the screws but it moves where the mirror connects to the arm.
Neutral light is useless
Bike sometimes starts while in first gear with out pressing the clutch
Decal peeling off of wind screen

You would think all of these things were covered by the Hyosung 3 year warrantee, but no sir you are out of luck.

If this was a used bike I would not mind putting a couple bucks out to maintain, or upgrade, but this is a new bike right off of the show room floor of City Cycles NY, and the POS is falling apart.

I could see how my ninja 250 was more fun than the Hyosung, I actually had no problems with it so i got to ride it more... Yeah thats more fun. If you want to look at your pretty hyosung at the dealership all the time Buy a Hyosung. If you want a bike you can ride and trust buy anything but Hyosung.

Get real Hyosung is garbage….

ramathorn
Rookie
Rookie

#26 Unread post by ramathorn »

Anthony it sounds to me that you're problem should be with that dealer and not Hyosung. I know they're new to the states, but you're the only one I have heard of that has a problem with them especially one this extensive. Their track record across the globe is supposedly pretty good. Sorry your dealer sucked, you shoulda come down south, we're friendlier :cowboy:

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#27 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Yeah, sounds like you had a bad dealer. I had no problem with my Hyosung dealer...
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

Rabbit
Rookie
Rookie

#28 Unread post by Rabbit »

Issues
Brakes, missing pad, Rotor and caliper damage and dealer will not fix
This is a dealer problem, Hyosung dont ship the bike as a whole ready to ride unit, your dealer is trying to kill you...if this is how they assemble bikes, I would not return for a service..it is beyond thier skill.

Hyosung will not respond to calls or emails about dealer issues
Nor will Ford reply about a dealer..take them to court...if you have a case, this is a local issue, not something for international intervention.

Cracking in the rear tire, tire rot on a new bike… there is no way there tires are equal to Kawasaki’s
The tyres are Chinese, not Korean, they are a hard compound, but Dunlop Arrowmax tyres feel good under the bike.

Mirrors move while ridding, Yeah I tightened the screws but it moves where the mirror connects to the arm.
Noob..hold the mirror stalk and rotate the actual mirror clockwise..there is a nut in there, this will do the trick.

Neutral light is useless
Cant say I've had an issue with it.

Bike sometimes starts while in first gear with out pressing the clutch
Sounds like the cable needs adjusting..not an actual issue with the clutch or gearbox itself

Decal peeling off of wind screen
Now this is a serious issue that can cause the bike to highside at the very least, explosions are the usual result of stickers coming off
I have a Comet GT 250, it's the 10th bike I have had in over 15 years of riding (I have owned everything form vespa scooters to road eating superbikes), for it's price and it's size it's fine. I have over 15000 on the clock trouble free. The only things I dont like..the pads could be better they lack feel but they work just fine..EBC pads will do the trick.
The tyres are good in the dry, too hard for wet use...There are a lot of options for replacements.
A lot of people have complained about Hyosung..but they dont own one, those who do and have had issues have all be traced back to dealers poor preparation of the bike (a great way to generate return bussiness and make a name for yourself) or from ignorant riders who might be better off in a car..say like a Volvo

Misguided Missle
Veteran
Veteran

#29 Unread post by Misguided Missle »

Heimdall Einherjar wrote:My stance on Korean bikes is the same as on Korean cars...
Don't waste your money.
My wife loves her Hyndai Accent at 37 MPG, 42k and the only problem so far is one fo the drink holders came out slow, so they replaced it.

Now to Hyosung. They have been making bikes longer than Suzuki has been importing to the USA.

A few of my Korean friends have driven by the plant. It is in Korea

I ride my 650, 500 miles a week, I got no complaints

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#30 Unread post by flynrider »

Misguided Missle wrote: Now to Hyosung. They have been making bikes longer than Suzuki has been importing to the USA.
I'm pretty sure that Suzukis were available in the U.S. before 1979.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk