Flip-up helmets vs. Closed Face and Communicators

mklein3
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Flip-up helmets vs. Closed Face and Communicators

#1 Unread post by mklein3 »

Does anybody have any information on how well communicators work with the full-face flip up style helmets? I'm new to riding and am looking to get a helmet and I like the flip up style helmets and the knock I've heard on these is that they are louder. I'm looking at getting a communicator and I'm curious if I should go with a solid helmet or if the flip-up style works ok. Any other suggestions as far as solid helmet or flip-up?

Mer
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Mer »

I've used a Chatterbox with my flip up helmet for over 2 years now. It works great. I use a Nolan 100E. It's the only helmet I've ever had so I can't compare it to a regular full face helmet in regards to noise level. My husband wears an HJC Symax (flip) and his is pretty noisy. The wind noise on his sometimes activates the vox on the Chatterbox. He has since gone to a HJC CL-14 (I think, full face). We haven't tried the Chatterbox with that helmet yet, but he thinks the full face is just as loud as his flip though. I guess it just depends on the helmet.

I noticed when we were looking at helmets the other day that some of the helmets have the works for the communicators already built in.
Marianne

2005 Honda VTX 1300

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by keysman »

Autocom has a number of options for many differnt types of helmets.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS