The problem with my HJC...want a quiter helmet. kinda long

Funderbird
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

The problem with my HJC...want a quiter helmet. kinda long

#1 Unread post by Funderbird »

I appoligize for going a bit overboard on this post. I have been up since 3:00 am and have another 5 hours untill the field closes and my head hurts from my ride this morning.

I bought the M50 and only had 300 to spend of jacket gloves and helmet. I went with the 89 dollar HJC (the cheapest one they had that fit). I have put 2300 miles on the bike in 4 months and it is perfect. But the helmet sucks. I ride 175 miles one way to work on monday then ride home on friday. I get a huge red spot on the center of my forehead and it hurts really bad. I can pull the helmet down so my chin touches the very front of the helmet and that alleviates some of the presure. The visor doesn't fit snuggly aganst the rubber seal, therefore the wind noise is unbearable. in addition, I think I got the helet a size too big. I have seen some really nice HJC with a visor that fits really nice agaist the rubber. But as I said mine doesn't. There is virtualy no noise differance between no visor and visor. I have a set of earbuds with noise canceling and nothing helps. I tried some foamies and I got beter results sticking my head ot the window at 75. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad if the ride wasn't so long.

My problem is that if I ask "what is the quitest helet" I am going to get a bunch of opinions from differant perspectives. So, let me lay it out for you...I have riden with a half helmet that doesn't cover the ears at all. My HJC is not that loud but very close. I can have my IPOD turned up as loud as I can and barely hear the music at freeway speed, But at a stop It is too loud. So, if you have this type of experiance with half helmet and know what I am talking about please help. My buddy thinks it is due to insufficiant padding around the neck area and the loose fitment of the visor. None-the-less I need a new helmet. Any real world experiances for the feedup!
2007 Boulevard M50 Limited edition

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by Skier »

There's two problems here.

First, your helmet doesn't fit right. You need a different one, probably a different brand of helmet that is shaped better to your skull. Look at the helmet fit thread over in the new bikers forum.

Second, you need to either wear earplugs or sound-insulating earbuds. That's fancy talk for earbuds built into earplugs. For example, some ER 6 earspeakers will cut down on noise while still allowing you to listen to music.

I recommend earplugs and listening to your bike's engine noises. They're cheap, get a bunch from the internet. Ebay will have some.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#3 Unread post by ofblong »

sounds more like the helmet is too small rather than to big if your getting a red spot on your forehead. I have an HJC el DIalbo DC-12 and its not that loud. I also dont get any "spots" anywhere on my head from it nor do I have to move it around.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Funderbird
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Funderbird »

The reason I think it is too big is, I can pull it off with the chin strap undone and I don't have to try very hard to get it on. I can wiggle it from side to side and it doesen't push on my face at all...I am going to look at some differant styles of helmits next weekend. I miss read the fitment recommendation. I thought you shouldn't be abe to pull if off with the chin strap buckled. i can wip that helmet off quickly if it is unbuckled...

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#5 Unread post by ofblong »

uhh you shouldnt be able to pull it off when its buckled and you should be able to pull it off when its unbuckled. Yes its too big if you can move your head side to side.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Funderbird
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Funderbird »

I have decided that I want a Akuma or shoei. The Shoei saved my life about 15 years ago and I should have bought another when I had the chance. I pulled a price check before I bought the damn thing. I like the Specter R2 all black from Akuma or the RF1000 from shoei. Thanks for your help guys...

Eric

Skier

#7 Unread post by Skier »

You did try on the helmet, right? For at least fifteen minutes?
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

ofblong wrote:sounds more like the helmet is too small rather than to big if your getting a red spot on your forehead. I have an HJC el DIalbo DC-12 and its not that loud. I also dont get any "spots" anywhere on my head from it nor do I have to move it around.
No, the helmet is round-shaped and the poster has a more oval shaped head. Its not an uncommon problem. If your ears or the sides of your head hurt, then you may have a round head, stuffed into an oval helmet. One reason the helmet fit guidelines recommend a shopper wear a prospective helmet for at least 10-15 minutes before plonking down $$.

Oh, and funderbird get yourself some ear plugs. Hearing loss is cumulative and even though road noise isn't painfully loud, medium level decibels for a sustained length of time will damage your hearing. Try foam ones for now - your mc shop should have them, at around 50 cents a pair - you'll be amazed at how UNstressed you feel at either end of your commute if you wear them.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Funderbird
Veteran
Veteran

Answers

#9 Unread post by Funderbird »

Yes I wore the helmet for about 20 min...The proble with my HJC is, I have a 23.75 to 24 inch dome. The helmet I own is a XXL. Thus my helmet is 3/4 to 1.25 inches too big. I wear ear plugs when I am riding in town and under 50 mile rides. But once I hit over 50 miles I get tunnel vision. The drown of the wind and stuff causes me to zone. It is a trick I used back when I road a sport bike back and forth to Oakland...600 mile trip. The music helps me stay focused and makes me look around and pay attention. I don't know why, but all my buddies that ride with me swear I ride better and safer when I have tunes. The same goes when I am driving in my cage.

Thanks for all your help guys...

P.S. What do you all think of the Shoei? X11 and RF-1000..the two helmets I have narrowed the choice down to...

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#10 Unread post by RockBottom »

Ditto on what Lion Lady said about ear plugs. I can't ride without them now. I was getting the Macks at the drug store, but then got a case of these: http://www.amazon.com/Moldex-Pura-Fit-E ... 848&sr=8-1 Absolutely love them. I also keep a pair of these on the bike for very short trips or when I'm going to need to put them in and out frequently http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research ... 928&sr=8-1