Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#21 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

What do you guys think of
http://reviews.designtechnica.com/revie ... o7722.html

that kind of setup? Uses Palm OS and NOT windows CE, so i'd imagine it's a fairly stable platform.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#22 Unread post by cb360 »

Looks like a good way to go to me geoff if you are looking for PDA features in addition. You can't go wrong with Garmin maps and build quality and as a bonus this one has expandable memory which is a huge plus. I can't speak to the specifics of the receiving capabilities on this unit - google gps reviews dot net - they may have a writeup there.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

drumwrecker
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 51
My Motorcycle: 2003 VFR VTEC, 2007 Yamaha TDM900, CRF23

#23 Unread post by drumwrecker »

Ive had a Garmin Quest since August. My wife bought for my 65th. I love her comment when we first used MY birthday present "that means I'll never get lost again" and that sums it up I suppose.
I just love getting out and meandering into the depths of the English countryside and then make the straightest route home using the Quest. It's not necessarilly the fastest but can be interesting.
I like the fact that the speed indicator is exact and at night the display is lit up so a glance can tell you the general shape of the road ahead which on our country lanes is a great help.
I bought some helmet speakers from http://www.clearercom.com/Helmetspeaker.htm that I use with earplugs. I asked a motorcycle copper and its what they use, I have a particularly noisy helmet so need the earplugs. I think Clearcom do an in line amplifier now which could be useful.

Jakaman
Rookie
Rookie

#24 Unread post by Jakaman »

I ended up buying the 'Quest 2'. All of the reply's here helped to make my final choice. I also got the motorcycle package, mounting bar bracket, wiring harness and the headphone jack. Nothing to do but practice in my car until winter breaks but that should give me time to learn how to operate it pretty well. So far I've used it for a few short trips and just around town, unbelievable technology! Thanks again.

jfeaz
Elite
Elite

#25 Unread post by jfeaz »

i have a garmin eTrex legend C, which was only $230 new (used froogle to find it) plus $20 for a handlebar mount clip. The maps are a $100 software package, but the detail they give you is well worth it.

It's a nice color unit that gives directions and is waterproof. The only downside is that if you're going a really long way, the limited memory capacity keeps you from storing map detail for the whole country.

You have to hook it up to your computer and choose the maps you want until the unit's memory is full. I normally just upload the maps for the area I'm travelling to.

For my area, it will hold a huge geographical area, but if you live in a dense urban area like L.A., it will hold about 75% of the 5-county region.

Of course, you always have the "base map" for the whole country, which includes major roads and highways. You only have to load in the detailed maps if you want small side and residential streets, as well as points of interest, gas stations, restaurants, etc.

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#26 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

2 things-

#1)
But I do keep my 45 cocked & chambered in my open tank bag
Sounds like a VERY VERY VERY VERY bad idea! people who do stupid things like that give other gun owners a bad name, keep the gun with you if you want but keeping a cocked chamered gun while ballancing on 2 little pieces of rubber is just a bad thing that hasn't happened yet.

#2)
no one mentioned the TomTom? i dont know anything about it but i think you can just tap the screen to get a different route (good if you are riding and dont want to leae the handlebars for long.)
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]