Scorpio Alarm System

Itzamna
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

Scorpio Alarm System

#1 Unread post by Itzamna »

About two weeks ago I purchased an installed a Scorpio Alarm System. I had never been a person who believed in alarms, but after seeing all the options of this one, and the fact that many people had their bikes stolen around here I decided to get it.

The system consists of four parts: A remote pager, the actual alarm, perimeter sensor, and anti-hijack ignition disabler. The last two items are optional, and cost a little more to get. It retails at $379, rather expensive, but you definitely pay for what you get with this one.

First off, installation was quite easy. Much more than I expected, being a person that hates to mess with electrical things. Only one wire had to be cut, which was the wire leading into the ignition fuse in the fuse box. The rest had these special clamps that just snapped on, then had a female connector that fit right into it. There is no set place to mount all the items, except the perimeter sensor, which should be towards the middle, so you can mess around a find a good setup. In all, it took my dad and I about 1 1/2 hours to complete the installation. Shouldn't of really taken more than an hour, but we got sidetracked a couple times, and we have the horrible habit of losing parts we need lol.

Now, for the quality of the working alarm. The pager you recieve with it controls the alarm. You can set it for all options to be enabled (ie. alarm horn, perimeter sensor), or you can pick and choose which ones will be enabled. You can leave the horn off, or the perimeter sensor, if you know people might be around it, but not messing with it.

The great feature of the alarm is the fact that if it is set off, it will page you telling you it is going off, either by sound, vibration, or both. Up to a half mile away you can know if it is being set off, even without being able to hear it. If you have the horn off, the alarm will still go off, and tell you, but the person messing with it will never know. So now, you don't have to be that person with the annoying alarm being heard every night. The pager also will tell you if your motorcycle battery is low, has a clock, and has an alarm clock on it.

The perimeter sensor usually starts reacting at around 2-3 feet. The faster something is moving around it the farther out it will sense it. I haven't had it start reacting over 3 feet though. It doesn't set the alarm off immediately though. It first will start slowly chirping, until the object leaves the perimeter of the bike. If they remain in it, or get closer, it will begin chirping faster, alerting the person that it will set off if they get closer. It still won't set off, if they don't move up to it more. If they do, it will set the alarm off and you will be paged. When it comes to the pager, it actually tells you how it's going off. Shock, perimeter, or ignition I believe. It works very well for parking lots and such, because it will react to the person just getting in their car next to you, but won't set the alarm off, unless they're really being closer than they should be to the bike.

The ignition disabler is a rather nice feature as well. If the alarm is set, the bike can not start. Even if you have the key, the ignition is disabled and will not start unless the alarm is deactivated. Really, most people stealing bikes, aren't trying to start it up and ride it away. I honestly got it for my stupid friends who might find my key somehow and decide they should try and ride it. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Well, I know that was rather long. I think I posted most of the information about it but if I forgot some point, or if you'd like to know more about a certain aspect, just ask.
Brian

'03 Suzuki SV1000

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#2 Unread post by Meanie »

Can the perimeter be set closer? In other words, instead of the 2 to 3 feet, can it be set to chirp at 1 foot? Have you tested the perimeter coming from all angles (front and rear as well as the middle)? Also, have you actually tested the full range for the pager? What about the area of buildings compared to the open area?
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Itzamna
Legendary
Legendary

#3 Unread post by Itzamna »

THe perimeter sensor can be adjusted for being closer or farther away. It doesn't really get set off until your within 1 foot, but it will start chirping around 2-3. Usually closer to 2. It's just a warning, instead of setting the alarm off at that distance. And all the angles are good. It's a little shorter in front and back, only because the sensor has more distance of bike before it's the perimeter. You just have to position the sensor as dead center in the bike as you can to ensure a proper perimeter. I only had it set off once accidently, and I knew the way I parked it was going to happen once these people got in their car.

The range of the pager was pretty good, until I damaged the end of the antenna when messing with something. I think I could get even better if I move the antenna. Kind of getting pinched off right now. It works pretty well around buildings, steel buildings block the signal the most. At work it's a little bit shorter range since the buildings have so much metal in them.
Brian

'03 Suzuki SV1000

GQ
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by GQ »

How big is the antenna?? I was told by a sales guy (well selling for viper alarms) that they can easily cut it cause you have to put the antenna out to transmit. well the metal of the bike block the transmition somehow? block the waves?

Oh and I have a 2005 R6
do you know if it will be easy to get to the subassembly??
it has a new future this year:

All new immobilizer ignition system is designed to reduce the possibility of theft. This new system must recognize the ''coded ignition key'' in order for the unit to start. If the immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key (or a theft's screwdriver or other type of ''jimmy tool'') the bike will not start even if the ignition is turned or forced into the on position. If the system does not recognize the correct coded ignition key, it will not allow the unit to start.