Riding Jacket Recomendations

SilveradoGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Riding Jacket Recomendations

#1 Unread post by SilveradoGirl »

Hi everyone. I am in the market for a riding jacket. I live in Wisconsin, so the weather is fairly unpredictable, but I am mostly interested in a hot weather, summer jacket, something mesh, maybe with a liner for cooler evenings.

I have researched for hours on-line and can't make a decision. There are 2 Joe Rocket jackets I like, a Power Trip one, First Gear has nice stuff too....It's all too much.

A few questions I have of you all.........What do you wear in hot weather? How does it fit? Are the mid-arm adjustments important? What is the difference between all the different armour, which is best?

Any advice , help, or suggestions you can make would be VERY appreciated....Thanks
SilveradoGirl--

**Your ride doesn't matter.... the fact that you DO ride is what's important!**

blaidd drwg
Rookie
Rookie

First Gear is good stuff

#2 Unread post by blaidd drwg »

I like First Gear clothing, though Joe Rocket is improving. I don't know anything about Power Trip. Seems like the have good cruiser gear.

The First Gear Karma is supposed to be a good jacket, but it's not really a summer-weight jacket.

The First Gear Contour (mesh) might be the way to go for you, it has a zip out wind liner.

I like having adjustable sleeves because you can control how much air gets in for ventilation. On a mesh jacket I don't think it's an issue though.

I don't know about the Joe Rocket Alter Ego. Looks like they advertise it as a do-it-all jacket. See if you can Google up some reviews for it...

Good luck.

Bogey
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Bogey »

I just bought a fieldsheer jacket. I haven't had the chance to use it much, but it fits great, looks good, and seems like it will work for me in the hot weather, but does come with a liner for the cooler days.
Dare to be different

HexedWrench
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by HexedWrench »

You might try www.newenough.com for lower priced options. Their stuff is new but it's usually a discontinued model, etc. and selections change fairly often because of available stock. I bought a mesh Teknic jacket there last year at a great price and like the jacket a lot.
Mechanically Inclined Amateur

blaidd drwg
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by blaidd drwg »

+1 on New Enough.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#6 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

+2 for New Enough.

And i like the Tourmaster Textile myself. armor and comfortable. Good touring gear. Still need to test it out on the bike though :roll:
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#7 Unread post by kabob983 »

Newenough is great, but it'll never touch the king of good prices...ebay.

Some ppl don't trust ebay stuff, but I've never had a problem with 'em, and sometimes you can find absolutely stellar deals. I saw a pair of brand new A'stars Supertech boots sell for $120 (retail for over $320). I got a like new Teknic Violator jacket for $51 + shipping...

So look around there. For summer riding get either a mesh jacket or (my preference) a perforated leather jacket. The Joe Rocket Blaster 2.0 and the Alpinestars Stunt both come in perforated versions. Also, newenough has a closeout on the blaster 2.0, check it out.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Icon and Joe Rocket Hot Weather

#8 Unread post by safety-boy »

Hi Silverado Girl,

I have an Icon Tarmac jacket, which keeps nothing out but the street. It is like wearing a t-shirt, but thick with shoulder and elbow armor, and slight back padding (the only hot part about wearing it).

http://www.rideicon.com/

Joe Rocket makes a women's jacket, the Cleo, which is very much the same. Not sure if Icon makes a women's version.

http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/home.cfm

--Dave
Don't think of it as a stop light. Think of it as a chance-to-show-off light.

Vulcan 900 Classic LT (2007)
Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

KeithB
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by KeithB »

Check out "River Road" jackets. i have both jacket and pants, they are very well made.
KeithB

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2004 Ducati 620ie

Re: Icon and Joe Rocket Hot Weather

#10 Unread post by SuperRookie »

safety-boy wrote:Hi Silverado Girl,

I have an Icon Tarmac jacket, which keeps nothing out but the street. It is like wearing a t-shirt, but thick with shoulder and elbow armor, and slight back padding (the only hot part about wearing it).

--Dave
Hey Safety, I happen to like the Icon stuff...but one thing that puzzles me about the Tarmac jacket in particular is what's the use of having a jacket with zip-off sleeves???
"Not just your 'ordinary' Rookie..."