Water cooled harley's?

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#11 Unread post by jonnythan »

flynrider wrote:There was a time when just about all bikes were air cooled. Overheating wasn't much of a problem then and it isn't now.

I live in the desert, where it gets up over 100F for about half of the year. The only time you need to worry about overheating is if you leave the bike running while standing still for an extended period of time (20 min. or so) on a really hot day. Even if traffic is moving slowly, the engine will dissapate heat. If you're stuck in a traffic jam that's not moving, then you just shut off the engine.

As for the original post, I don't know if '09 is the target for HD to go water cooled, but they will have to do it eventually. Water cooling is the only way bikes are going to be able to pass future emissions requirements. The bike of the near future is going to be much like cars are today. Computer controlled ignition and fuel systems are going to be common, as well as water cooling to control combustion temperatures.
Harleys meet current emissions requirements with no catalytic converter.

I think they have some time.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#12 Unread post by storysunfolding »

jonnythan wrote:Harleys meet current emissions requirements with no catalytic converter.

I think they have some time.
LoL- they barely meet then with lean factory setups, and they have until 2010 when they become tighter... but sure.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#13 Unread post by flynrider »

That's correct. The regulations that take effect in 2010 will require manufacturers to reduce hydrocarbon and NOx emissions by almost 50%, from today's levels. Air cooled, carbed bikes are just squeaking by today's standards by using overly lean mixtures. There's not much chance that they'll be able to meet the 2010 standard with any of the air cooled designs their putting out today.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#14 Unread post by HYPERR »

I did overheat on a CB550K. It was a 4th of July weekend and I was stuck on the George Washington Bridge in a total standstill. I rode the shoulder and a cop stopped me but when I told him of my problem, he actually let me go on! :shock: :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

kingpinman
Rookie
Rookie

Water-cooled HD's

#15 Unread post by kingpinman »

Might check out this site on overheating of HD models:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_heat_00.htm

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#16 Unread post by flynrider »

Interesting article, although it has more to do with the new closed loop EFI system trying to keep up with the wide range of temps in an air cooled engine.

This is why motorcycle companies will be going to water cooling for emission control. You just can't regulate combustion properties well when the combustion temps are all over the place. This is the same reason that VW dropped the air cooled bug in the U.S. back in the early 80s.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

crazy5dave
Elite
Elite

#17 Unread post by crazy5dave »

In response to the posts before. All harleys are EFI. most have some form of a cat in the mufflers. some its only 1 out of two. some of the international models havefull cats in both and europe have a "power valve" in the pipes to limit noise. Japan has "quiter" mufflers. why pay more if you dont need to. emmisions regulations will not do in Air cooled bikes. ever tightening noise regulations will first. water cooled bikes have a water jacket and this absorbs some of the noises inside. HD dont so you hear lots of cam, lifter, valve train noises. water cooled bikes will kill alot of this. harley would not switch to all waterer cooled bikes. noone wants them. the Vrod was the trial ballon. sold well in Europe but not anywhere else.
2007 Buell XB12Ss