JTRogue
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2008 Kawasaki Versys

New American Motorcycle?

#1 Unread post by JTRogue »

This seemed really interesting, I liked the sketch for the solo tourer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/12/motu ... 0-horsepo/

Go Motus!!! I hope they can pull it off.
1982 Honda SilverWing GL500
2008 Hyosung Rally Prima 50 (dorky but fun)
2005 Suzuki Burgman AN650
2008 Kawasaki Versys KLE650A

Quo Vadimus

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2012/Harley Davidson/ Iron 883 Ember Red

Re: New American Motorcycle?

#2 Unread post by csspostal »

Looks neat suscribed to the youtube channel lets see what becomes of this. Hire Buell :)
RhadamYgg wrote:I must have a sign on me that says "Never mind, he doesn't need vasoline."

Whip Lash
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha GTS1000 & 2003 Harley RK

#3 Unread post by Whip Lash »

This bike engine looks totally cool. I want one. I'd like it to have a passenger seat instead of the big box seen in the picture of the bike. How can a guy get his wife to agree to a purchase of a bike like this if she can't ride on it too I ask you. I'd sell all my motorcycles to have a V4 Motus. Looks so sweet and that YouTube video is great.
Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Whip Lash wrote:I'd sell all my motorcycles to have a V4 Motus. Looks so sweet and that YouTube video is great.
Well, rumor no more --- it has been released... time to SELL SELL SELL the toys :D

I hadnt seen news on this bike until recently... just reading about it now and thought i'd post a few blurbs before I dig in. I'm interested to hear how they've dealt with drive-line torque to keep the thing pulling to one side like Guzzi's do. Sort of a strange feeling, but I think others have used balancers and such to deal with it.

Time to check out the youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/motusmotorcycles

Some press includes this old bit:
CYCLE WORLD April 2010 - Meet the Motus: American-made V-Four sport-tourer breaks cover
"Multiple cams and four valves per cylinder aren't necessary to making stump-pulling torque. All you need is adequate displacement, a high compression ratio and two valves per cylinder operated by time-proven pushrods and rocker arms, just as in every classic American car V-Eight."
"The design choices Motus made tell us this is a sport-tourer, with the emphasis on "sport"..." - Kevin Cameron

And this press release from March 4, 2011:
MOTUS MOTORCYCLES unveils MST series of American sportbikes - A new American motorcycle company is born. Birmingham, AL- March 4, 2011

Against the backdrop of the world’s most extensive motorcycle collection, Motus unveiled the stunning
MST series of comfortable sportbikes, powered by the first gasoline direct injected V4 engine. The MST’s
were designed by Motus, and built by one of the world’s most sophisticated engineering firms to help
reshape the American motorcycle market with a machine that focuses squarely on performance,
comfort and range.

The Motus MST’s were developed quietly and revealed privately first at the facility of Motus’s partner
Pratt & Miller Engineering in New Hudson, Michigan and then at Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in
the hometown of Motus, Birmingham, Alabama. Next, Motus heads to BikeWeek in Daytona Beach,
Florida, for a public launch at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show on Thursday, March 10th at
2:00 pm and various private showings with press and supporters.

“We are so proud to show the world the MST series,” said Motus president, Lee Conn. “We poured our
hearts and souls into these motorcycles and hope that it shows in terms of the quality and character of
the machines. The MST’s are exhilarating to ride- a very powerful experience unlike any other
motorcycle I’ve ever ridden. There is usable power everywhere in rev-range, excellent feedback from
the road, very responsive to inputs and....the sound of the KMV4 still gives me goose bumps every time
one cranks,” said Conn.

The MST prototypes, including the base model MST and the premium MST-R, are scheduled to go into
production in late 2011 but will complete extensive testing and refinement first. Along with a team of
engineers, co-founders Lee Conn and Brian Case are personally riding the MST’s on an “American Sport
Tour” around the US to make sure the pre-production machines are of the quality and durability they
demand.

“There is just no better way to make sure the MST’s meet our standards of durability, comfort, and
performance than to personally ride the machines and iterate them as we identify issues. Along the way, we are meeting with friends, supporters and high quality dealers that have inquired about carrying
Motus in their area,” said Brian Case, vice president and director of design.

“We decided early on that no corners would be cut with the MST series. Motus is about precision,
quality and attention to detail rather than speed to production,” said Brian Case, vice president and
director of design. “We are more focused on building great bikes than rushing to meet artificial
deadlines,” said Case. “Rather than hype the brand with computer renderings of a bike we hadn’t even
built yet, we engineered the bikes to be functional and actually work first, and then show the world
what we have done so far.”

Conceived and designed in Alabama and engineered in Michigan, the MST prototypes were built using a
combination of sophisticated computer aided engineering tools as well as rapid prototyping processes.
The transmission, chassis, and bodywork are all purpose built at Pratt&Miller Engineering for high
performance, durability, all day comfort, and long range.

“Motus came to Pratt & Miller with some very ambitious engineering and technical challenges and we
felt we had the right tools and resources to exceed their expectations in terms of a high level of work in
a shortened period of time,” said Brandon Widmer, director of business development at Pratt & Miller
Engineering. “The MST project has been exciting and challenging allowing us to employ many of our core strengths including complex chassis engineering and optimization, gearbox design and testing, metal and carbon composite fabrication and vehicle validation that is taking place now.”

“The MST project has been an absolute blast for us at Pratt & Miller. The work ethic and intensity of the
guys at Motus meshes well with our mindset and it has been gratifying to apply some of the skills and
technologies we have developed from our endurance racing programs to this new American
motorcycle” said Gary Pratt, co-founder of Pratt & Miller.

Download full Press Kit with logos, pictures, FAQ’s:
http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/press/p ... 011mar.zip

About Motus
Motus is strategically located in Birmingham, Alabama, in the heart of the growing southern automotive
corridor with Honda, Mercedes, Toyota, Hyundai, and Volkswagen nearby. Birmingham is also home of
the Barber Motorsports Park which houses a world class road course and the world’s largest motorcycle
museum. Founded in 2008, Motus is a privately held company preparing to enter the market with the
first V4-powered American sport touring motorcycle. The MST series motorcycles and accessories will be sold internationally through a network of independent dealers and distributors.

The Motus MST series of comfortable American sportbikes have been engineered from the ground up
for performance, comfort, and range. The MST concept is a fresh take on what an American motorcycle
can be, with optimum rider and passenger comfort for extended, spirited journeys, and quality
components for responsive handling. The Motus MST series, including the MST and the premium MST-R,
are powered by KMV4 gasoline direct injected V4 engines that feature proven durability and range
extending technologies.

For more information about Motus, please visit the website at http://www.motusmotorcycles.com
or email info@motusmotorcycles.com

About Pratt & Miller

Pratt & Miller Engineering is one of the most sophisticated engineering companies in the world and a
respected industry leader in the automotive, motorsports, military, and aerospace industries. Pratt &
Miller’s extensive design, engineering, manufacturing, and vehicle program management capabilities are
well established through their numerous championships in the American Le Mans Series, Rolex Grand-
Am series, NASCAR and six 24 hours of Le Mans victories in the GT1 category. In addition to
motorsports, Pratt&Miller Engineering has played a prominent role developing commercial, aerospace,
and defense projects.

For more information about Pratt & Miller Engineering, please visit the website at http://www.prattmiller.com
or contact Brandon
Attachments
mst01_gallery_feature_01.jpg
mst01_gallery_feature_01.jpg (71.55 KiB) Viewed 14675 times
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Been reading about this as well. Jeez, I hope those guys succeed. And if they do, I hope their next model is a naked bike with that engine :kicking:
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Very cool! I'll keep them under watch too. :D
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#7 Unread post by High_Side »

Grey Thumper wrote:Been reading about this as well. Jeez, I hope those guys succeed. And if they do, I hope their next model is a naked bike with that engine :kicking:
It's already out there in prototype form. Google naked Motus.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#8 Unread post by Kingshead »

Been reading about this bike for a while now, like the engine but not a sport bike guy. DUH.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.