2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

#1 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

well... it's been awhile since this i started hinting and the stuff has been leaked, i figure the SCOOP department is tied into non-disclosure agreements, scooping press releases, or busy watching CNBC :-)

here's the one pic Ducati fans want to see but there's lots more pix, info and video out there, with Bayliss riding in the official ducky videos, etc...

however it's release will likely be delayed, unless they've replaced that Showa front-end with some non-japanese set, due to higher than normal levels of radiocolledactivoxigigallitarity :mrgreen:

Find more using the ubiquitous Panigooglee technique...
Attachments
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigooglee.jpg
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigooglee.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

What a disappointment! :(
Looks like a ripoff of an older Yamaha R1/R6. :?
They even took back #46. :italy: :laughing:

The 999 is the only Ducati superbike design that was not a ripoff of a Japbike. The 916 was quickly re-sketched after Ducati saw the sketches of the upcoming 1992 Honda NR750 and their jaws dropped. Of course the current 1098/1198 series is a blend of a design highly influenced by the Honda CBRs and Yamaha R1/R6. Not that there's nothing wrong with that... As an old Honda ad campaign used to say, "follow the leader". Back in the 60's, the Japanese were highly influenced by British design as the Limeys ruled the motorcycle world back then.

Anyways, I always loved the design of the 999 from the moment it came out. When I first saw it in the flesh back in 2003(?) I was in awe at the incredible design. I guess I must like the weird style of Terblanche as I also love the way my Hypermotard looks. :laughing:

EDIT: I just remembered I hated and still hate the Terblanche designed Supersports. I think they are one of the ugliest bikes ever made. In contrast, the Cagiva era carbie Supersports like my '96 is IMBO one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

yeah. looks a bit more like a typical sportbike as he 1098 also sacrificed a little. i think it's sort-of a blend of the MotoGP bike a bit, which has less character in the lines. Here's a pic of the other side.

oh... a little EDIT myself... re Terblanche, etc...
HYPERR wrote:999 is the only Ducati superbike design that was not a ripoff of a Japbike. The 916 was quickly re-sketched after ... upcoming 1992 Honda NR750... current 1098/1198 series is a blend of a design highly influenced by the Honda CBRs and Yamaha R1/R6. ...always loved the design of the 999 ... weird style of Terblanche ...Hypermotard EDIT: I just remembered I hated and still hate the Terblanche designed Supersports. ... In contrast, the Cagiva era carbie Supersports like my '96 is IMBO one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.
That was all quite a lot, and only scratching the surface ... I too like the 999, although have never ridden one, but not as a Ducati ---> General word seems to be he got the egos right, etc., but it just wasnt right for Ducati. It may one of Terblanche's best. Unfortunately it looks so much like earlier Bimotas, and that is the crux of why I would say Terblanche made some 8/10 designs, but Tamburini did 9/10 and 10/10 (designing Bimotas from way way back, and other nice stuff later on). He was certainly a mentor for Terblanche.

I dont know the story of the NR750 influencing the 916, but could guess he liked the slotted twin headlight design and incorporated it into the 916. Other than that it kicks the NR into the gravel trap without even flinching. NR750 is a 6.5-7/10 overall in looks. Something completely different in the engine department however... so as usual you can emphasize the Honda MOTOR Co. Since they sure know how to do engine stuff.

i also loved the 1992 900ss ... with a HALF-FAIRING.
Attachments
2012_Ducati_1199_on_track.jpg
2012_Ducati_1199_on_track.jpg (42.23 KiB) Viewed 14741 times
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

QuietMonkey wrote:well... it's been awhile since this i started hinting and the stuff has been leaked, i figure the SCOOP department is tied into non-disclosure agreements, scooping press releases, or busy watching CNBC :-)

here's the one pic Ducati fans want to see but there's lots more pix, info and video out there, with Bayliss riding in the official ducky videos, etc...

however it's release will likely be delayed, unless they've replaced that Showa front-end with some non-japanese set, due to higher than normal levels of radiocolledactivoxigigallitarity :mrgreen:

Find more using the ubiquitous Panigooglee technique...
Thanks for posting that QM. I've been waiting for official photos from Ducati Press for a while now hoping they would come up (and with additional information).

I can post it in the Big Book of Concept Bikes Guide: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/concept- ... yshots.htm here when I have some time on my hands. It's full putting up the next 2012 models from all different manufacturers in our guide right now. :doh:

Mike

P.S. Not the best looking Ducati is it?
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Speaking of which, I have to put up the new 2012 BMW G 650 GS Sertão as well they JUST announced now.

Mike
Attachments
2012 BMW G 650 GS Sertão
2012 BMW G 650 GS Sertão
P90083482-zoom.jpg (94.05 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

QuietMonkey wrote: I dont know the story of the NR750 influencing the 916, but could guess he liked the slotted twin headlight design and incorporated it into the 916. Other than that it kicks the NR into the gravel trap without even flinching. NR750 is a 6.5-7/10 overall in looks. Something completely different in the engine department however... so as usual you can emphasize the Honda MOTOR Co. Since they sure know how to do engine stuff.
Yes no doubt he got the squinty eye idea from the NR but more importantly I think Tamburini was blown away by the radical tailsection of the NR. You can clearly see where he got the idea for the tailsection, the single sided swingarm, and the underseat exhaust.

Your rate the NR a 6.5 in looks??? :shock: Wow sure goes to show you that looks are subjective. I think (along with the 916) it is one of the most awesome looking bikes ever made. 8)

QuietMonkey wrote: i also loved the 1992 900ss ... with a HALF-FAIRING.
Yes totally agree! I have the '96 with the half fairing. The bike looks so much better with the half fairing displaying the beautiful frame and the great looking air cooled engine in full view. :D
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

My memories of the NR750 are off a bit I think. I did only glance at a pic similar to your first image: profile shot. The bike does look nicer than remembered. I may have mixed the look in my head with a VFR750 that they made afterwards which had a bit of the NR styling. The angled photo does justice to the design.. i guess it's more of an 7.5/10 mainly because I dont like the tall tail.

I dont find the NR tailpiece influence in the 916, but race tailpieces look very similar. The exhaust, yes, although underseat exhausts have been around since the '80s GP bikes which were replicated with the RZ500 and RG500, and probably before that in some other era. Maybe once he saw it in RED it reminded him that Honda was going for blood :-) And the single-sided swing-arm would have been a direct rip-off... I remember thinking how Ducati had snuck that one from Honda. Funny how Ducati has also taken co-ownership of that swing-arm design. The nice trick though was the trellis frame mixed with the aluminum arm. That was a nice touch. Old mixed with new.