Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Harley-Davidson Project Livewire All-Electric Motorcycle

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This just in...

Harley-Davidson has shown exclusive inside video of a new and upcoming motorcycle called "Project Livewire" which involves a new all-electric concept motorcycle based on what appears to be a Mini-Vrod / Rocker / Street cross-breed. With no-pipes and no "potato-potato-potato" sound either. Also appears to use a dual-clutch transmission.

Features:

- Harley-Davidson Project Live Wire (Was called Project Lightning)

- All new electric Harley-Davidson motorcycle

- No exhaust

- No Sound

- At least a dual clutch

- Good torque / Horsepower rating

- Cross between a V-Rod, Rocker and Street look

- Naked bike

Going on tour tomorrow so it's been successfully kept super secret.

More information to follow when available.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Harley-Davidson Project Livewire All-Electric Motorcycle

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

UPDATE:

"Harley-Davidson will publically reveal details about a project that will inspire riders and non-riders alike to engage with Harley-Davidson and view the brand in a while new light. Today is your opportunity to learn about this project."

I do have some photos, however, to respect the release date I can't release them for another few hours. But it's an interesting looking motorcycle, more akin to a Ducati than a Harley-Davidson in design, with mirrors taken from the V-Rod Muscle and a rear fender just like the new Ducati's. Even has a "silver" looking "triple type engine".

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

zigzag
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 2011 Harley-Davidson Fat-Bob

#3 Unread post by zigzag »

A electric Cafe Racer from Harley, I think, that the Cafe Racer from Harley is more shoocking than the electric motorcycle.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, here is the information and photos you have been waiting for:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ectric.htm

Super Secret 2015 Harley-Davidson "Project Livewire" Breaks Cover

Harley-Davidson's reveals all new electric motorcycle “Project LiveWire" is more like the first electric guitar – not an electric car,” said Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “It’s an expression of individuality and iconic style that just happens to be electric. Project LiveWire is a bold statement for us as a company and a brand." Full photos H-D and information only at Total Motorcycle: 2015 Harley-Davidson Project Livewire and Discussion

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Gotta agree with Zig, given the current economic and technological climates it's really not surprising that even H-D is putting together an electric powertrain to float with consumers. What IS surprising is the European DNA expressing itself in this design. It's like one of H-D's designers was on vacation and happened to, ahem, make friends with his Alitalia stewardess (flight attendant?) at 35,000 feet, then got that phone call seven weeks later...

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I agree it does look quite Italian and not very, ahem... "American" if you take my meaning. And I absolutely heard when it was shown last night to a bike night crowd that it's a "Ducati rip-off" design... yes, I can definitely see Ducati in there.

I find it interesting they put a chrome/silver "engine" part to it... and the sound part:

The bike offers a visceral riding experience with tire-shredding acceleration and an unmistakable new sound.

“The sound is a distinct part of the thrill,” said Richer. “Think fighter jet on an aircraft carrier. Project LiveWire’s unique sound was designed to differentiate it from internal combustion and other electric motorcycles on the market.”

Then... they release this about sound on the Street 750:

True Harley-Davidson Sound

A motorcycle isn’t a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle unless you can identify it with your eyes closed.

So, how important IS the sound of a Harley?

Mike

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#7 Unread post by Johnj »

I see Buell all over that.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Johnj wrote:I see Buell all over that.
Might be then why H-D waited so long to release it... Not sure if Erik would be happy or not about the design to be honest, but wouldn't it be interesting if EBR comes out with an Electric motorcycle this year (they have 2 unreleased models) and it looks like this?

Mike

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I see more of the Street 750 in the overall silhouette, rather than Ducati or Buell. Frankly, this is the most exciting Harley I've heard of since the V-Rod. I hope they get rid of the chrome bit at the bottom. Seems a bit inauthentic, since it's not an internal combustion engine (and the perception of authenticity is something Harley values more than most other manufacturers). Looking forward to more news popping up, and I can't wait for this to show up on the cool wall. An electric H-D! I'll bet that'll draw lots of discussion.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"