Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Sportier Honda Spirit is fun and easy to handle

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Sportier Honda Spirit is fun and easy to handle
Surfer babes agree '07 Honda is cool Throttle response and power are good
Nov. 13, 2006 - By STEVE BOND - SPECIAL TO THE TORONTO STAR - thestar.com

It's a pretty sound business axiom that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On the surface, it doesn't make sense for Honda, número uno in the motorcycle world, to mess with the VT750C2 (aka the Shadow Spirit), its best-selling cruiser.

But Honda keeps taking its flagship Gold Wing to new levels of sophistication with each incarnation, so why not other models?

The Spirit 750 didn't need a whole lot of fixin' but a little freshening up was in order. A primary goal was to have the best-looking entry-level/mid-sized cruiser, and I think the new Spirit scores on that aspect.

It's long, low, clean and mean, the radiator is well camouflaged, while the dual staggered pipes, large air cleaner cover and larger 21-inch front wheel give it a very "Sportster-ish" profile.

It's a welcome departure from the big-fendered, retro look that's consumed cruiser stylists for the past few years.

As I cruised up California's Pacific Coast Highway north of San Diego, the optional red-flamed paint scheme of my tester was heartily endorsed by an impartial panel of surfer babes in an older VW Beetle.

They pulled alongside and yelled, "Hey, we like your bike."

Market research at work under real-world conditions.

Honda also wanted to instill the Spirit with the best riding "feel" in the class, another intangible goal that could only be evaluated by riding.

My test route included just about every road condition a VT750 owner is likely to encounter, from freeway cruising and twisty two-lanes through the orange groves to stop-and-go traffic.

Spirit passed with flying colours.

The 21-inch front wheel, combined with a reduction in trail geometry, quickens the steering for easy handling.

Nor is the combo affected as much by bumps and potholes — something more important on our roads than Southern Cal's.

The biggest engineering change to the '07 Spirit is the maintenance-free shaft drive system that replaces the chain on previous models.

Despite the beefier frame and shaft drive system, the new model is just three kilograms heavier than the '06.

Even though electronic fuel injection is almost universal these days, the Spirit continues the VT750 tradition with a single 34 mm CV-type carburetor.

But fear not, Spirit's throttle response was good, with the twin-plug, three-valve heads efficiently combusting dead dinosaurs.

There were no flat spots nor surges, no matter where in the rev range I twisted the throttle.

There is a choke, although warm-up time on those 22 C San Diego mornings was short.

On smooth pavement, the suspension performed quite well. When the going got rough, the front was fine, but the lack of damping in the twin rear shocks transmitted bumps and jolts directly to my kidneys.

On higher-speed two-lane roads and freeway ramps, the Spirit steered well, stayed firmly planted and surprised with how well it handled and its above-average ground clearance.

The deeply scalloped "gunfighter" seat resides at a lowrider-like 652 mm from terra firma, which instills confidence in smaller riders or beginners.

But it locks tall pilots in the "feet out, weight on the tailbone" riding position. I found myself squirming with discomfort after an hour in the saddle.

Horsepower is adequate: the 745 cc V-twin easily motivates 225 kg of motorcycle plus rider to the posted freeway speed limit here of 65 m.p.h. (110 km/h) even though said limit seemed to be cheerfully and blatantly ignored by one and all.

Around town, there's more than enough acceleration to efficiently dispose of annoying four-wheeled traffic.

Enhancing the Spirit experience are wonderfully rich, mellow exhaust decibels that sneak past the twin staggered pipes.

The clutch is smooth, light and progressive and the short-throw, five-speed box has a light, silky action that makes shifting a pleasure.

The 296 mm single front disc is the same as on earlier models and has acceptable braking power with reasonable feel, although hard braking produced a fair bit of front-end dive.

Fit and finish are typical Honda — absolutely first rate, especially the flame paint job.

And, so Spirit owners can truly make an individual statement with their motorcycles, Honda has an extensive catalogue of accessories, including leather saddlebags, lightbars, backrests and billet dress-up items.

One interesting option is an unobtrusive speaker bar that mounts across the handlebars so you can plug in your MP3 player or iPod. This option will soon be available throughout Honda's cruiser line.

Retail pricing had not yet been set, but a senior Honda spokesperson confirmed the '07 C2 would be "slightly more" than the existing Spirit and should be at dealers before year-end.

At six-foot-three and with 35 years' riding experience, I'm not exactly the Spirit's target audience. But for new riders, re-entry riders and women in the market for a great-looking cruiser that's easy to handle and fun to ride, Honda's cruiser has definitely gotten better.

Surfer babes can't be wrong.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.