Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Motorcycle-riding senior is a jack-of-all-trades

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Motorcycle-riding senior is a jack-of-all-trades
Monday, November 27, 2006 - By ALYSSA SCHNUGG - Staff Writer - Sun Herald - sun-herald.com

PORT CHARLOTTE -- Kosty R. Costanzo has been running full-speed ahead for most of his life, and he isn't about to let a little thing like age keep him down.

At 82 years old, Costanzo is tearing up the roads of Southwest Florida on his Yamaha V-Star. When the weather is bad, he switches to his Jeep Rubicon -- which Jeep hails as the "gnarliest of them all."

The feisty senior rode a motorcycle for 65 years until recently, when he hung up his helmet to care for his wife, Pauline, who had suffered a stroke.

"I lost my wife in January," Costanzo said. "I was alone. So I got back on my motorcycle again. Now I'm riding with the club and enjoying it."

Costanzo joined the Peace River ABATE Chapter about six months ago. He handles security during the club's runs, such as the holiday toy run.

Bill Bird, president of the Peace River chapter, said Costanzo is probably their oldest member.

"I don't think he acts like, or what you would think an 80-year-old would act like," Bird said. "You see some hobbling around. But Kosty just jumps on his motorcycle and takes off."

Bird said when Costanzo joined the club, he wanted to become a life member for $150, which covers eight years of membership. A fellow rider asked him if he was sure he wanted to lay out that much money instead of paying year by year.

"He said, "Why not? I could live to 100,'" Bird said. "He probably will."

Costanzo and his wife moved to Port Charlotte about 16 years ago from Cromwell, Conn., where he served 20 years on the planning and zoning commission after serving in the National Guard as a military police officer.

He and Pauline bought a motor home and traveled around Florida on vacation. They fell in love with Port Charlotte.

A tool and dye maker for 45 years, Costanzo served as president of the Association of Machinists for several years.

He later switched hats and became a real estate broker for the last 35 years.

He raised five children, coached football and basketball and served on the auxiliary police force -- but always found time to enjoy riding.

"My wife rode with me the whole time," he said quietly, apparently talking about life, rather than a short motorcycle ride.

He also owns a boat and keeps an electric guitar and keyboard in his bedroom.

Costanzo describes himself as a jack-of-all-trades, and more recently has switched hats again.

"I invented a putter that will pick up a golf ball out of the hole," he said.

He originally made five putters in the 1960s, but gave all but one away.

"My son, the doctor, told me to patent it," Costanzo said. "I just let go for a while. But after my wife passed away, I went to a golf place around here and the guy flipped for it and said he wanted 40 of them right away."

Costanzo will be applying for a patent this week.

He says there's no real secret in staying young other than staying active.

"If you keep going, you're all right," he said matter-of-factly.

In 65 years of riding bikes, Costanzo has never crashed.

"I keep an eye in front and watch what the other person is going to do," he said.

He recently renewed his license, passing the vision test.

"I got good eyes," he said. "I only wear glasses for reading."

For Thanksgiving, Costanzo spent the night with his brother at a nightclub in Fort Myers.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.