Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Bike raffle to benefit animal shelter

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Bike raffle to benefit animal shelter
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - By MIKE MASLANIK - Finger Lakes Times - fltimes.com

GENEVA - In December, hogs are going to help dogs and cats.

On Dec. 9, Geneva Harley Davidson Sales and Service will host an open house and raffle off a $17,000 motorcycle to benefit the Humane Society of Ontario County.

"I'm a dog owner, not just one, but many in the past," said John Malyj, owner of the dealership. "I believe that supporting them is just the proper thing to do."

Up until the open house, which is free and open to the public, the dealership will sell $25 tickets for a brand new V-Rod motorcycle. The store also will hold a canned food drive to benefit the Geneva Food Bank, with the dealership giving donors a 10 percent discount coupon.

Along with the Harley Owner's Group of Ontario County, the shop held several fundraisers for the animal shelter earlier this year, said Ed McGuigan, director of the Canandaigua-based Happy Tails shelter.

"I think it's fantastic what Geneva Harley Davidson and the Malyj family want to do," he said. "Their fundraisers and activities have greatly benefited us and what we're trying to do here."

The dealership holds such raffles every year to benefit Ontario County causes, whether it's the Ontario ARC or various hospice care providers, Malyj said. Last year, it raised around $4,000 for Ontario ARC by raffling off a similar bike.

"Some charities need additional support, and we're happy to help," he said.

This year's focus on animals is due in part to the scenes of drowned and abandoned animals broadcast across the country in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"When you see those pictures of the animals in New Orleans, you just want to help out as much as you can," said Corinna Taylor, finance manager at Geneva Harley Davidson.

The humane society is a favorite charity, she said, because "we know that they'll put whatever we give them to good use."

Malyj and Taylor hope to raise $4,000 to $5,000 for the shelter and encourage anyone, from the hardcore bikers to people who've never thought about riding, to attend.

"Hopefully, people will come down and see Harley Davidson in a whole different light," Taylor said.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.