Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Honda hybrid buyers eligible for tax credits

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Honda hybrid buyers eligible for tax credits
Thursday, November 30, 2006 - Business First of Columbus - charlotte.bizjournals.com

American Honda Motor Company Inc. said customers who purchase a 2007 Accord or Civic hybrid or GX are eligible for a federal tax credit of up to $4,000.

The sales arm of the Japanese automaker released details of an Internal Revenue Service Opinion based on the Energy Policy Act of 2005. The IRS said the following tax credits would apply to Honda-made hybrids:

2007 Civic hybrid: $2,100.
2007 Accord hybrid: $1,300.
2007 Civic GX, $4,000.

"The federal tax incentives reward consumers who seek the highest levels of environmental performance from their vehicles," John Mendel, senior vice president of American Honda, said in a release.

Depending on various limitations and circumstances of the customer, Honda said consumers should consult the IRS or a tax adviser before filing their tax returns for the year they purchase the car to determine eligibility for the credit.

Honda launched the Civc GX in 1998, followed by the Civic hybrid in 2002 and the Accord hybrid in 2004.

The company's Accord line is produced at its Marysville manufacturing plant, which is one of three plants Honda (NYSE:HMC) runs in Central Ohio through its Honda of America Manufacturing Inc. subsidiary.

Its Marysville car and motorcycle plants and its East Liberty auto plant employ about 8,600 workers, while its engine plant in Anna has 2,800 workers. About 800 workers make automatic transmissions at the factory in Russells Point.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Honda hybrid buyers eligible for tax credits

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
"The federal tax incentives reward consumers who seek the highest levels of environmental performance from their vehicles," John Mendel, senior vice president of American Honda, said in a release.
Well, that's great and I'm happy the Government is doing something pro-active and responsible for the environment by rewarding those who seek "the highest levels of environmental performance from their vehicles"

Now when are they going to recognize motorcycles as offering customers "the highest levels of environmental performance from their vehicles" and give us a tax incentive? Motorcycles have been offering environmental performance to customers for decades!

Mike.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#3 Unread post by flynrider »

Motorcycles have lagged behind cages in enviromental performance. While some use less gas, many put out higher levels of pollution due to the lack of computer controlled ignition and fuel systems.

My Honda 750 puts out more emissions (CO and Hydrocarbons) than my Nissan pickup (with a 2.4 liter engine). The air-cooled, carbed Honda can't compete with the Nissan's tightly controlled combustion process.

I was reading an article on an upcoming ban of 2 stroke scooters in Rome. There, one old scooter can put out the equivalent pollution of over 70 modern cages.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

flynrider wrote:Motorcycles have lagged behind cages in enviromental performance. While some use less gas, many put out higher levels of pollution due to the lack of computer controlled ignition and fuel systems.

My Honda 750 puts out more emissions (CO and Hydrocarbons) than my Nissan pickup (with a 2.4 liter engine). The air-cooled, carbed Honda can't compete with the Nissan's tightly controlled combustion process.

I was reading an article on an upcoming ban of 2 stroke scooters in Rome. There, one old scooter can put out the equivalent pollution of over 70 modern cages.
I know the 2-strokes are bad, but 4-strokes? Have you tested your Honda 750? It really souldn't be that bad. But then, I don't know everything, I just assumed...haha. :frusty:

Mike.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#5 Unread post by flynrider »

Yes, the 4 strokes are bad (comparatively speaking), paricularly the air cooled ones without fuel injection. While cages have been improving and refining their emission controls over the past 3 decades, bike standards haven't kept pace. I saw an article several months ago saying that the U.S. EPA was considering updating standards for bike, which they haven't done since the 80s.

Emissions tests are mandatory here in AZ, so both my truck and bike get tested regularly. I run both vehicles through a tester at a local shop before going for the official test. The bike is always noticably dirtier.
Bikin' John

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#6 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Bah, I'll buy an H2 and get my $100,000 tax credit, thank you very much.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#7 Unread post by flynrider »

H2? This is a bike website. When you say H2 I think 2-stroke :

Bikin' John

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

flynrider wrote:H2? This is a bike website. When you say H2 I think 2-stroke :

Ahh, what a motorcycle. I never got a chance (yet) to ride one but one day if ever possible....

and the H1 too!

Ah, crazy old stuff. :D

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

flynrider wrote:Yes, the 4 strokes are bad (comparatively speaking), particularly the air cooled ones without fuel injection. While cages have been improving and refining their emission controls over the past 3 decades, bike standards haven't kept pace. I saw an article several months ago saying that the U.S. EPA was considering updating standards for bike, which they haven't done since the 80s.

Emissions tests are mandatory here in AZ, so both my truck and bike get tested regularly. I run both vehicles through a tester at a local shop before going for the official test. The bike is always noticeably dirtier.
Arizona sounds pretty strict then for emissions tests, which is good for the environment. :D Although I wonder in the long run is there less pollution still being caused by the use of the motorcycle as it takes less raw materials to produce and uses less non renewable resources even though it creates more pollutants running. hummm :humm:

Thanks for sharing that info. Everyday you learn something new is a good day. :D